First RFI AIRFIX 1/48 P-40 AVG OOB

Hello everybody. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas (my apologies for being late, I couldn't access the site for 2 days).

My first RFI ever. It's the new Airfix 1/48  P-40, my first fully completed build since.....1982.

My sincere thanks to all the people here who share their experience(s). It helped me to get back into saddle.

I did it strictly OOB but scribing the missing rudder tab and removing the right hinge off the rudder. I also had to rebuild the pitot tube from scratch (broken 5 times!).

I  tried Eduard mask for the cockpit. Very happy with it and I shall make further use of this stuff.

I'd say it was my most enjoyable build ever. Great fit, simple and good looking kit. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment about accuracy but IMHO it more than fits the bill.

Some minor things id'like to mention: the cockpit interior frame should be removed from the sprue with a cutter, using side cutters I bent it. The fairings of the gear wells were the only part that needed some trimming/sanding for perfect fit. I'd have liked attachment points to help with the gear doors placement.

It was airbrushed with a H&S Evolution Silverline (0.2 needle). Only acrylics (Gunze and Tamiya) were used (a first for me).

Primer: Stynylrez grey

Camo: Gunze H302 (green FS 34092), H310 (brown FS 30219); underside: H311 (gray FS 36622)

Cockpit: Gunze H58 (interior green)

Tamiya XF 4, 11, 16 and X18 for the interior details and weathering.

Hope you'll enjoy it.

All mishaps and mistakes are mine. Comments are welcome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by PattheCat
Pics transferred from Google photos to new Flickr account
  • Like 30

Thanks Blitz. In fact, I was so happy when finishing this one that I bought a second. Not sure about when I'll do it and which scheme, though. Now busy with the 1/48 Spit VB JH-C. Can't wait to see your build.

• Like 1

Welcome back after that 35 year hiatus, and with such a neat Hell's Angel!

Incidentally, the 飞虎队 (Flying Tigers) are well remembered in China even today, especially in in Yunnan province. My Chinese wife and I visited Kunming a couple of years ago and found an extensive memorial exhibition on the top floor, realised in part with the help of Gen. Chennault's widow.

Nice model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

That's a really nice job.  I got one as a present for Christmas - but I  don't build US stuff.  I WILL HAVE TO build it at some point though - as my niece is sure to ask to see it.  If it looks as good as yours she will be pleased and I 'll be amazed :goodjob:

14 minutes ago, BIG X said:

That's a really nice job.  I got one as a present for Christmas - but I  don't build US stuff.  I WILL HAVE TO build it at some point though - as my niece is sure to ask to see it.  If it looks as good as yours she will be pleased and I 'll be amazed :goodjob:

Thanks a lot BIG X. You won't only please your niece, you will do yourself a favor. It's a very relaxing build and you will be pleased with the result you get.

I received the brand new 1/48 P-51D (I mean it to become a Tuskegee airmen machine) for Christmas and looking at the sprues I think it's also a winner. A little more complicated than the P-40 but also nicely engineered and more detailed.

Hope they'll do a K version.

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Nice work.

Must remedy the lack of a P-40 in my collection.

Pete

Thanks Buzby. So many kits, so little stash space .... that and the carpet monster are our fate.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the "like". I sure didn't expect that much. Now I really FEEL like i'm back in.

I'll do my best not to disappoint you with the next one(s).

Thanks for watching.

Cheers. Patrick.

Edited by PattheCat