If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Julien

What have you purchased / been gifted

19 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Thanks Darby,i'm also tempted to get 'Tommy' have you read that one...It's around 700 pages and i'm worried i may lose interest...

You won't. I swept through it in a few day's. Ok I'm a fast reader but it is very readable. 

23 hours ago, CedB said:

As part of the saga of my Boultbee Spitfire build I had to produce some custom decals and paint masks for non-standard squadron ident codes. A few purchases were required:

38921278874_87be694e93_z.jpg

High resolution (4800x1200dpi) Inkjet after realising my existing printers were lying when they said they could do 600dpi. £30 in PC World (you're singing it, aren't you?), a Canon MG3650.

How are you finding it? My Kodak printer refuses to print black anymore.  Kodak printers are junk.

Need a new one. 

1 hour ago, phildagreek said:

And did I read last night that due to popular demand they are going to release the inferior but still Phabulous Crab version? 

Take my money now.

Don't worry. There'll be left over decals from the above and aftermarket stuff available so as to avoid the slippery slope to 'Crabdom.'

Latest purchase today; paint and 1/700 guardrails and safety/flight deck nets for a pair of Pusser's war canoes.

We just got this little gadget:

resized_524cb2aa-d2aa-45e8-b608-cee22c91

Is it a plastic shaped like a valuable diamond? Yes. It has electronics inside though. It's a pocket size spectrophotometer. It is controlled by my mobile phone via an app (Android or iOS) and a Bluetooth link.

Just place it on someone you want to measure

resized_1db7dcda-a8ff-4b69-9636-2622e8c2

and tap a button

4701bf8f-1a22-41a9-b4bb-028d87d03769.png

I can select illuminant and observer angles etc.

I can now sneak around measuring all sorts of colours! :D

I found these last night whilst buying 'Tommy',should keep me busy for a while..

Patton: The Man Behind the Legend - Martin Blumenson.

Dambusters - Max Arthur....

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I can select illuminant and observer angles etc.

What a sweet piece of kit Jamie! 

Seriously impressed.

What do you reckon are the RGB values of the envy-green I just turned? :lol:

Just place it on someone you want to measure

Honestly officer, I was just....

Tony

Picked up an Airfix Phantom from the LHS near work then got home to discover that the new album by The Skids had arrived in the post.

A mere 36 years after the release of their last album...

Samsung Galaxy Note 8, a battery pack case the size of a brick, and some other bits and pieces. Nominally for work, but it should pump up my model photographing game a half-notch or so.

13 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

Picked up an Airfix Phantom from the LHS near work then got home to discover that the new album by The Skids had arrived in the post.

A mere 36 years after the release of their last album...

Gonna have to give that a listening to!

11 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Samsung Galaxy Note 8, a battery pack case the size of a brick, and some other bits and pieces. Nominally for work, but it should pump up my model photographing game a half-notch or so.

Good man for not believing the hype!

34 minutes ago, Wez said:

Good man for not believing the hype!

Er, which hype is that?

9 hours ago, noelh said:

How are you finding it? My Kodak printer refuses to print black anymore.  Kodak printers are junk.

Need a new one. 

I’ve not used it in anger but the prints I’ve done so far have been good. Scanner too. Ink reasonable.  It’s also wireless or connected so flexible on where it sits. For £30 hard to beat IMHO

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

I’ve not used it in anger but the prints I’ve done so far have been good. Scanner too. Ink reasonable.  It’s also wireless or connected so flexible on where it sits. For £30 hard to beat IMHO

Yes it's practically disposable at that price. I'll pop over to my local Currys tomorrow and have a look but this being 'rip off Ireland'. It'll be more than that. 

So tomorrow hopefully that will be my latest buy tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

So much so that breasting a wave of Ced-inspired enthusiasm I picked up one earlier as a proofing printer for Mrs. B. Test printing this evening indicates satisfying colour and detail definition for this price bracket, so that's two satisfied customers.

4 minutes ago, noelh said:

Yes it's practically disposable at that price. I'll pop over to my local Currys tomorrow and have a look but this being 'rip off Ireland'. It'll be more than that. 

So tomorrow hopefully that will be my latest buy tomorrow.

Noel, I picked up mine for €37 in Argos in Galway today, €10 cheaper than Currys are selling it for.

Tony

Right Argos it is. Actually I have found Argos in the past closer to UK prices. 

Vol 20 Wings of fame from the local auction site,  I can feel a Hunter thing coming on. Just need vol 19 to complete the collection now.

Steve.

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

Er, which hype is that?

Something beginning with I...

Apparently other phones are available...

Edited by Wez

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:16 PM, Darby said:

I ended up with 'Resistance' by who I can't remember. It looks ponderous on flicking through it and a subject with no outward appeal. I may be wrong.

It could have been worse, Darby, it could have been the awful novel of the same name by Owen Shears.  A book which, to quote Dorothy Parker, should not be laid down lightly - it should be thrown with great force.  Ask me how I know!

I tried to get the missus to explain to the grandkids I had enough socks and pajamas but not enough Airfix kits (also pointing out that a kit like a Spit or 109 is only six quid or so).  Worked very well... They got me a toy train to go round the Christmas tree.  Next year I'll talk to the little blighters myself!  So I blagged a 1/72 Mossie while the missus wasn't looking and found an HMS Victory starter set among the odds and ends for a fiver in Aldi.  The ship is half built (and probably headed for the bin) and the Mossie waits patiently till I get the actual work cleared up in my workshop and I can devote some space to it.  (Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way?)

Finally made a trip to Going Loco Models in Lofthouse! First time i've been and its a nice little model shop. :thumbsup:

Came away with....

Tamiya M10

Sanding sponges

Plastic strip

It's only a 10 min drive from home and this could prove to be rather dangerous!!! :analintruder:

Regards.

Steve.

Another kit made its way into the stash today.

Airfix 1/24 North American Mustang Mk.IVA (P-51K)

4 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Finally made a trip to Going Loco Models in Lofthouse! First time i've been and its a nice little model shop. :thumbsup:

Came away with....

Tamiya M10

Sanding sponges

Plastic strip

It's only a 10 min drive from home and this could prove to be rather dangerous!!! :analintruder:

Regards.

Steve.

Hi Steve, not a bad little shop and about the same drive for me. Still had an Airfix Valiant when I went in last in and larger kits often have a discount. I might get round to my North Nottinghamshire based model railway layout one of these days. 

Martin. 

PS Ellie thinks we are all sad. 

1 hour ago, Martin T said:

.......PS Ellie thinks we are all sad. 

May be sad, but at least they know where we are! :whistle:

First modelling purchase of the year involves a Meng M1A1 Abrams. I’m starting with something slightly different this year :D

Sean

5 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

First modelling purchase of the year involves a Meng M1A1 Abrams. I’m starting with something slightly different this year :D

Sean

Looking into my Crystal ball, I forsee a name change.......!!!

There goes the neighbourhood, another gone to the 'dark side' :devil: