1/48 Airfix Buccaneer

AussiePhantom

When I built mine,the major problem was the mismatch between the top and bottom halves of the fuselage. This was about 10mm at the front.

I managed to assemble the fuselage by starting glue at one side at the wing trailing edge, clamping and waiting for the glue to set then moving on on smal steps. This was successful but it took a long time to eradicate the seam,particularly at the front.It is possible that because I used several aftermarket parts including the Neomega cockpit,that this made it more difficult.

Thereis a lot of scope for more detailing eg in the undercarriage bays if you are that way inclined.

If you are prepared to put in the effort, the kit builds into an impressive model.

And it is the only option if you want a 1/48 Buccaneer.

I've salvaged some photos from my builds. Hopefully, these show how to tame this kit.

These are the areas to join first.  Inboard wings, rear and front - you can see my clamping methods.

0_Buccaneer_Hull_zps7eb10a38.jpg

Ignore the nose and tail until this is well set.

And just how far off is the nose section?

2_Buccaneer_Fuselage002.jpg

Which is quite recoverable.

4_Buccaneer_Fuselage_Fixed002.jpg

• Like 2

New tooling would solve the problem, I think! 

Or a 1/24th version? 

Perhaps not. 

Anyway, the "how to join a Buccaneer" guidance is much appreciated, now I know how to do it I'll make one of the 2 in the box as an RAF version. 

The other is already spoken for! 

Hi

I dont know why so many people berate thia kit. I have built 2, both here on BM and neither was any real issue. I have 3 more in the stash and will enjoy building them when the time comes.

Colin

• Like 2