1/48 Airfix Buccaneer

AussiePhantom

On 12/25/2017 at 2:10 AM, AussiePhantom said:

Thanks for the information. I guess having two means you can improve the modelling skills a bit.

Not just "a bit"...

Airfix have a lot to answer for, but I guess they keep aftermarket, photo-etch and filler companies in business!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hairystick said:

Airfix have a lot to answer for, but I guess they keep aftermarket, photo-etch and filler companies in business!

Not just aftermarket or filler companies..the 10mg Diazepan packs sold like hot cakes when Airfix introduced that kit....:smirk:

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Daedalus72 said:

That kit is a brute,took me 15 years to finish mine!

That's a well killed-off mojo!

I'm approaching a year since I started and have now applied primer and pre-shading. The first 4 months were "challenging", attempting to repair all of the sink marks, ejector pin marks, and attempting to get things to line up correctly. Then began the modifications required.

I'm convinced that entirely different people were given different parts to work on, perhaps even teams of people, who had no communication with each other.:rage:

There is a suspicion that the cleaner's assistant did some design work on a few parts...:angry:

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 12:09 PM, Britman said:

You may wish to condemn me for insanity, but I get a buzz out of this kits reputation and may be tempted to pull mine from the stash!

Do it!!!!!

The world needs more Banana bombers. "Youth" require education on how a proper aircraft should look. Politicians require education on how an aircraft does not require "stealth" abilities when flying so low that the pilot needs to pull-up to lower the undercarriage...

:D

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 3:27 AM, hairystick said:

Do it!!!!!

The world needs more Banana bombers. "Youth" require education on how a proper aircraft should look. Politicians require education on how an aircraft does not require "stealth" abilities when flying so low that the pilot needs to pull-up to lower the undercarriage...

:D

I detect a whiff of sadism....

On 12/31/2017 at 2:17 AM, Britman said:

I detect a whiff of sadism....

That'll be my deodorant...

It's branded "aftermarket", which will be ironically quite useful on this build.

The other whiff will come from masochism, and not in any sexual way either! This comes as standard in this kit.:rage:

• Like 1

I'm chasing one of these on eBay. Is it really that bad?

I'll never be the standard of most of you on here but I just want it to look like a Buccaneer from a few feet away on the shelves, without any glaring errors such as an ill-fitting canopy or wings at a funny angle. How does it look built OOB if you're not great with filler but can do an ok-ish paint job?

I have one that I made many years ago, so I can't recall the building of it.  Looking at it now, it meets the test of very much looking like a Buccaneer and it does not show signs of much use of filler in assembly.

• Like 1

Hi Lord Riot,

Built two when it first came out and have two more stashed away...

It is not a straight forward 'modern' assembly job, but it can be built and looks like the beloved Brick once completed. There were two main problem that I found;

1 The plastic used to mould it had some unusual characteristics. It was soft and seemed to lack something in its chemical recipe. It suffered from sink marks/holes to a lesser, or greater extent, (usually greater) and readily warped, (see 2, below), again to a lesser, or greater extent, (again, usually greater). Some of the warpage made truing up the fuselage halves frustrating as there appeared to be some distortion of the basic plastic components. I think this distortion was due to the components being ejected from the moulds before being fully set - another problem with the chemical recipe, or manufacture???.

2. A lack of bulkheads, especially for the long fuselage halves, to help true up and support the main components. I resorted to making my own bulkheads and adding sprue spacers and tabs, where possible, along the more problematic joints.

The surface of the plastic had a pebbly finish which was more marked in some areas compared to others. On my builds it was either removed during the sanding down of filler, or smoothed out by the application of primer. Yes it is a bit of a putty queen! 

Take your time and do not expect a shake-and-bake journey. You will end up with a Brick and have developed your modelling skills to boot!

Or wait for the Tan Models Brick:shrug:

I will be getting a Tan Models Brick, or two, but will still build those in the stash as well.;)

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Thanks Christian, very useful info.

I might only go so high on ebay then leave it. Interesting to hear about a new one, not heard of Tan Models before.

Cheers!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I might only go so high on ebay then leave it. Interesting to hear about a new one, not heard of Tan Models before.

Bear in mind, I heard that the Tan model Bucc (if it EVER appears) is likely to be in the region of £70. I can't afford that, so I intend to wait to when the Tan model is available, then hopefully the Airfix kit should reduce to a more reasonable price.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I'm chasing one of these on eBay. Is it really that bad?

I'll never be the standard of most of you on here but I just want it to look like a Buccaneer from a few feet away on the shelves, without any glaring errors such as an ill-fitting canopy or wings at a funny angle. How does it look built OOB if you're not great with filler but can do an ok-ish paint job?

Both of these builds are documented in the GB archives.

Airfix_BuccaneerS2B.jpg

Airfix_BuccaneerS2D_Port.jpg

Just needs a bit of care during assembly.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 1

There was a pinned thread from Jonathan Mock,  describing how to assemble this kit successfully.

I can't find it now as it's been moved.  I followed it for both builds - they came out OK.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

There was a pinned thread from Jonathan Mock,  describing how to assemble this kit successfully.

I can't find it now as it's been moved.  

And a very useful post it was.  The key bit was how to get the upper and lower fuselage halves to marry up in a reasonably acceptable manner.  ISTR it basically said start from the tail and move forward in stages, about a couple of inches at a time and allowing each stage to dry before moving on.  But, as with most things relating to this kit, I expect there was a lot more to it than that.