US Marines Sherman M4 (Italeri 1:35)

wimbledon99

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Here's a modern picture of the landing beaches for context:

History_Randy_James_Iwo_Jima_46109_reSF_

So as it turns out a grey-brown muddy colour looks to be the way forward.....Unless it's actually wet. 

Pretty sure they didn't have those in 45.

A heads up, this is volcanic ash. Dry volcanic ash won't stick to anything but damp surfaces, so any ash sticking to the vehicle when it emerges from the sea will quickly fall off. It's also highly abrasive, so the tank's tracks will very quickly wear and show polished metal.

Rearguards,

Badder

ps. Just found this photo of a Sherman stuck in a ditch on Iwo Jima. Wow! I don't think those spikes all over the hatches were to stop pigeons roosting.:D

O6s5lMk.jpg

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

IIRC that Sherman may well have fallen into the crater left when another Sherman set-off an improvised mine, made from a 600Kg bomb!  :o

Not sure it's the same one, but the whole sequence was filmed.....Will see if I can find it.  :nerd:

PS- The waterproofing around the mantlet is an interesting feature.  B)

• Like 1

OK - This is now on hold for a few days. I've covered it in gloss but I'm now waiting for the postman to bring me some volcanic sand, wash and a few other bits and pieces  :smile:

In the interim, I've purchased a 'plank' for the 10th Anniversary GB :penguin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, as there's a problem with my order (I'm waiting to hear from the store as to what's happening with it  :unamused:  ) I thought I'd crack on with the materials I have. I've gone this far but think I'm now reliant upon the sand arriving before I can do much more :waiting:

28340509669_ae73ef3c20_k.jpg

39409628234_58ca8f8584_k.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Nigel. Well it’s a shame your order is messed up but hopefully it will get sorted soon. Your Sherman is looking excellent in th photos above. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Nice going Nigel I feel your frustration, when you order somthing to coincide with the next phase of a build. But doesn't turn up, putting the whole project on hold.

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Nigel I feel your frustration, when you order somthing to coincide with the next phase of a build. But doesn't turn up, putting the whole project on hold.

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's looking lovely, all your extra detail shows to really good effect.....Hope your volcanic goodies turn before too long, can't wait to see what you do with them.   :coolio:

Thank you both :smile:

Re. my orders, I cancelled both today as the Volcanic Sand was not in stock (but was on the website) and the supplier of the I-16 delayed the delivery by another week :angry: However, I jumped on a well know auction site and reordered via new suppliers. I hope that both items are here for the weekend!  :fingerscrossed:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK - So the volcanic pigment arrived today and this is the outcome. The photos aren't great but she's about to be posted in the gallery so I hope she looks OK!

25333747237_4d0565af04_z.jpg

25333747347_097217d65e_k.jpg

39307236625_fe87594e50_k.jpg

40172221792_75eb4b2a7a_k.jpg

40172221702_6bbbe5d399_k.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great build and Great Sherman :goodjob:

Many Thanks! :smile:

10 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Like the effect you have had with your pigments.  :yes:

beefy 

Thanks Beefy. I'm not so sure about the effect myself. I think in looks more like mud than sand. Oh well, it is what it is now I guess :facepalm:

Good to see you got your sand pigment and got it all finished. As I said in your RFI - it's nice to see a Sherman built with the wading gear on. Well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looks very good indeed to me.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Sarge - Glad you like her. Thanks also for being such a great host!! Cheers  :clap:

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see you got your sand pigment and got it all finished. As I said in your RFI - it's nice to see a Sherman built with the wading gear on. Well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix, it was an enjoyable build and looks OK on the shelf!  :smile:

51 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Nigel, what a fine looking tank you've produced. :goodjob:

Thank you Ozzy, kind of you to say. Thank you too for the fine co-hosting!! :like:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The work on the turret mounted machine gun is simply stunning. The volcanic mud weathering is very effective. Great job all round. Like you I am a Sherman novice and really do appreciate all the expert advice available out there from the BM massive. I just like building "stuff".

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2018 at 10:10 PM, Nigel Heath said:

The work on the turret mounted machine gun is simply stunning. The volcanic mud weathering is very effective. Great job all round. Like you I am a Sherman novice and really do appreciate all the expert advice available out there from the BM massive. I just like building "stuff".

Thank you Nigel; you are very kind. Re. your final comment, Me too!!!!! :headphones:

• Like 1