US Marines Sherman M4 (Italeri 1:35)

wimbledon99

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Excellent work with the etch. It's really giving it some character.

John.

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Fantastic work on the etch Nigel - really bringing it to life and looking great in it's first paint!

Kind regards,

Stix

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

That'll look the part under some paint, good job nigel 

Glynn 

Thanks Gents :D I'm enjoying the etch with this build; even if the kit itself is presenting some challenges!  

• Like 1

I thought I'd see the etch through to the end and enhance the gun on the turret.

This is as it is out of the box:

38773510795_54172cce97_k.jpg

And this is what I hope to do with it:

25798826168_fa0b022d95_k.jpg

Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

• Like 7

Your photoetch work is looking excellent Nigel - you've done it really tidily - well done. Good luck with the .50cal - I think I've got something similar to do with the one on mine. :hypnotised:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Your photoetch work is looking excellent Nigel - you've done it really tidily - well done. Good luck with the .50cal - I think I've got something similar to do with the one on mine. :hypnotised:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :D It’s a bit taxing on the eyes but I always feel quite chuffed when it’s complete. Hope I can say the same about the gun in a day or so!!

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Good luck rolling that cooling jacket. I take the cowards way and buy RB Models .50 cal. Brownings.

John.

I wasn’t aware they were available to buy like that! It’s now my plan B if things don’t go too well ;) 

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just realised this is an M4A2, not an M4.....Despite what Italeri would have you believe.  :rolleyes:

When are they going to realise that all those letters and numbers do actually mean something.  :wall:

You're making me nervous Sarge. I hope I put all the pieces in the right place and make it look like what's it's supposed to :laugh:

Whilst on, here are the gun components ready for assembly:

39021981114_be8ac3d3d6_k.jpg

• Like 3

Italeri make me nervous.....So let me get this straight:

They call it an M4

But provide a single piece M4A3 hull (and a replacement deck)

Then market it as USMC who mostly used the M4A2

What are the decals for.....A Grant maybe?  :doh:

I'm a bit worried about Nigel's Emcha now, it never occured to me they would do something so bloody silly and I didn't look at his engine deck in detail at all!  :confused:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Italeri make me nervous.....So let me get this straight:

They call it an M4

But provide a single piece M4A3 hull (and a replacement deck)

Then market it as USMC who mostly used the M4A2

What are the decals for.....A Grant maybe?  :doh:

I'm a bit worried about Nigel's Emcha now, it never occured to me they would do something so bloody silly and I didn't look at his engine deck in detail at all!  :confused:

OK - I'm going to admit that I have no subject knowledge Sarge (just had to look up what Emcha means) :doh:  Is the deck wrong for what I'm supposed to be building? I was looking for detail on the internet and thought it to be correct! Help! :unsure:

Nope you've done it right and added the correct deck for a diesel M4A2 Sherman.....Your wading stack covers the exhausts, which I take it they didn't provide in your kit either?  :hmmm:

Nige probably has to make the same chops as you to fit an M4A2 deck to his kit too unless they also provide all the bits for an M4A3, all his decals are for Soviet Emchas, so it would make sense.

Know the M4A2 by his multiple filler caps:

M4A2_1.JPG

If the Sherman you are modelling or another from the same unit is covered in the reference I sent you, check for small details.....For my own 1/76 USMC Sherman I discovered that while the headlight-guards were present the headlights themselves were not fitted to the M4A2s sent to Tarawa (much earlier than yours).  :nerd:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nope you've done it right and added the correct deck for a diesel M4A2 Sherman.....Your wading stack covers the exhausts, which I take it they didn't provide in your kit either?  :hmmm:

Nige probably has to make the same chops as you to fit an M4A2 deck to his kit too unless they also provide all the bits for an M4A3, all his decals are for Soviet Emchas, so it would make sense.

Know the M4A2 by his multiple filler caps:

M4A2_1.JPG

Aha! Another Nigel! Now I understand :blush:

• Like 2

Funky fish-tails like this at a guess (& a rear hull plate to match):

M4A3_1.JPG

M4A3 Exhaust System (Well, half of one!  ;) )

So what Italeri have done is take a M4A3 kit and bung in a slightly skimpy sprue of extras (no M4A2 exhaust etc.) and some decals and called it an M4 (incorrectly) and an M4A2 in seperate boxings (the latter with a T-23 76mm turret).  :mellow:

• Sad 1