US Marines Sherman M4 (Italeri 1:35)

wimbledon99

Hi Nigel. Good to see you here. Looks like this should be an interesting project. Nice to see some etch - can I ask if it came with the kit or did you buy it separately? :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

WooHoo - First build for ages :penguin: This lot needs cleaning for starters!

25515778648_fdaba99d9e_k.jpg

As with the vast majority of Sherman kits (including all variants), the suspension (or bogie trucks as they were called in the manufacturing process) once the build of them is complete, you feel you have past a significant point in your build. The Italeri bogies are designed to be movable. However if you leave them flexiable, the vinyl tracks will pull them upwards as they are tight. I suggest gluing them with all wheels touching the ground. That will give you a better appearance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blimey - My eyes were going wonky cleaning all those parts so I switched to something bigger for a while.

I was going to build this as an A3 but I read that the etch parts (and Nitemare II theme) are best befitting an 'A2'. I have therefore removed the A3 deck with a new blade and replaced it with the optional A2 deck as provided. However, although the Italeri kit doesn't provide parts to address other differences between the A3 and A2 (I was only aware through kit reviews), I also read that when the planks and wading gear are fitted, it's hard to tell the difference.

As a result, it will be a case of 'que sera' I'm afraid! :whistle:

39387277401_a26577abc2_k.jpg

38509373145_49a7a7d8dc_k.jpg

Right, quick bite to eat then back to the running gear.

• Like 5

Good to see you are underway with your build Nigel. Yeah the running gear is always a slow part of Sherman builds. My kit doesn’t start with the wheels so I have the pleasure later. Hope yours proceed well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix! I have made some good progress today.

The running parts have been painted (as has part of the lower hull) and I've put together one of the 6 bogeys to make sure all is good. I had initially planned to complete the hull and running gear, cover in 'Drab' and hand paint the rubber. However, I decided that may not turn out so well and have therefore painted the parts before assembly. As such, I may not add the completed bogeys to the hull until it's ready for weathering, for fear of spraying over the rubber.

39363828742_69ba3e2695_k.jpg

25523702378_8f2aa8ac09_k.jpg

• Like 6

The vast majority of AFV modellers, myself included would assemble the six suspension units before applying paints. Ensures better clean up. Admittedly not so easy to paint the tyres but you only paint what you can see.....

• Like 2

Thanks Chaps.

Hi Threadbear, I generally do the same except where 'tyres' are involved. The Sherman is proving to be a challenge but I plan to cover up any areas that require 'clean up' with weathering; at least, that's the plan! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little more progress today. The upper and lower hulls are joined (after much fettling) and I have removed the front wheel guards as they are being replaced with etch.

38551129735_f2e6b94c22_k.jpg

39429163681_8abef93bdf_k.jpg

• Like 7

Thank you both :) The fenders are now fitted so I thought I’d try to upload from my phone! Can’t work out how to get the link from the app so picture may have to wait. Back to work tomorrow so progress will slow up a tad. 

• Like 1

Hi Stix / Sarge,

Thanks :D it's proving to be quite a nice kit despite the required jiggling when joining the hull.

I have noticed however that I've messed up with the brace on the fenders. I've installed it 'flat' as oppose to at 90°. I'll have to have a play and see what I can do to remove and refit it :S