(Yet another) Tempest *FINISHED*

Beard

1 hour ago, CedB said:

A model shop with no Gentleman's scale? What is this country coming to! You must go back and point out the error otherwise we'll all be swamped!

I will (but not when my wife is waiting outside).

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice satin coat Simon :)

Thanks Ced but I think the second coat looks better...

2018-01-13_03-48-40

• Like 2

On 03/01/2018 at 23:29, Rabbit Leader said:

Well reknowned Typhoon / Tempest 'SME' Chris Thomas illustrates a 33 Sqd Tempest in his latest Osprey title with PRU Blue undersides, so there's a good chance that you are on the right track here. 

as Chris posts here, try this @Chris Thomas  as that should give a notification.

also

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234912226-33-sqn-tempests/

On 03/02/2012 at 22:41, rod mcq said:

The photo on which this scheme is based appears on page 147 of "The Typhoon and Tempest Story" by Chris Thomas and Christopher Shores and is captioned as being taken in Malaya in 1951 as the aircraft is about to undertake a rocket attack.. The serial PR772 in the decal sheet is wrong as the photo shows the serial to be PR771.

The details of this dark green/dark sea grey/PRU Blue scheme on 33 Sqn Tempests are discussed in an article on the May 2004 issue of Model Aircraft Monthly.

and, I just lent my copy to @Adrian Hills  for reference....so  I can't  check at the moment.

Simon, I hate to  say, but it's likely Tempest wheel wells were grey-green,   there seems to  have been a switch during production in late 44,  there are factory line pics and they are not aluminium paint...

Or maybe the start of Hawker primer yellow, as seen on the Sea Fury

Note inside of the gear doors

1850-72.jpg

But as a local model club member @CT Modeller  sagely said,  no-one looks at the underside ;)

Chris Thomas may know more on this as well

Did you ever try using Turpentine as a paint thinner yet  Simon?  

HTH

T

• Thanks 1

Thanks Troy.

I have a copy of The Typhoon and Tempest Story, I'll have a look at the photograph on page 147 but I'm not sure I want to go through the bother of re-painting the kit at this stage (then again, I might). Edit: I have Typhoon and Tempest at War.

I'd seen that photograph as Tony O'T posted it when he commented elsewhere about the colour of the gear doors (which I have painted grey-green). As only three or four people (including you) will ever get the chance to see the underside of my kits, I might leave the wheelwells in aluminium (or, then again, I might not... :wicked:).

I have used turpentine (or at least, turpentine substitute) to thin paint and achieved mixed results. I'm concentrating on trying to get thin coats of paint, rather than thinned coats, on the kit (ala Tony O'T) but have a couple of kits in the stash that I don't care about (i.e. they are outside my area of interest) on which I'll give the turps-thinned paint a proper trial.

Edit (2): I've found a photograph of PR771 in the Chris Thomas book 'Tempest Squadrons of the RAF' (it's on page 84 here) and I'm not convinced that the undersides are PRU Blue, the contrast with the upper surfaces looks too great. What do you think @Troy Smith?

Edited by Beard
to add information.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I've found a photograph of PR771 in the Chris Thomas book 'Tempest Squadrons of the RAF' (it's on page 84 here) and I'm not convinced that the undersides are PRU Blue, the contrast with the upper surfaces looks too great. What do you think

Well,  the Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey over PRU blue was a given scheme in the era of the photo,    so  it's entirely possible.  

Due to laziness, (and going down the research rabbit hole)  I've not tried to  dig out my DH  Hornet book,as it was used by them,  and or, the RAF Overseas Colours 45-50 book that I know you have ;) 

there may well be details on the in that,   I'll have a browse later,  but hopefully  Chris will pitch in.

As for paint thinnning,  hopefully next time I'm over we can do  some  tests with paint,  as it so  much easier to do than explain.

I need to  make dinner now.

T

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2018 at 4:52 PM, Beard said:

Edit (2): I've found a photograph of PR771 in the Chris Thomas book 'Tempest Squadrons of the RAF' (it's on page 84 here) and I'm not convinced that the undersides are PRU Blue, the contrast with the upper surfaces looks too great. What do you think

I stick by what I said in the books. Generally I don't make it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

I stick by what I said in the books. Generally I don't make it up.

Thanks for putting me right, I can now proceed with confidence, and please don't think I was accusing you of fabrication.

10 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks for putting me right, I can now proceed with confidence, and please don't think I was accusing you of fabrication.

No, I didn't think that. I was in a bit of a rush so it was somewhat terse!  Of course, I do make mistakes ... but I hate it so much I go to some lengths to make as few as possible.

Just to put 33 Sqn's markings in context - their Tempests were shipped out to Malaya as deck cargo and photos show most were still in the wartime Day Fighter Scheme but at least a couple were in the new all-Aluminium scheme. Soon after arrival the camouflaged Tempests were repainted in what the ORB describes as the 'new tropical scheme' but was in fact the Aluminium DFS. Just before conversion to Hornets the Tempests were repainted again in the Long Range DFS, DG/DSG/PRUB, but photos indicate that this task was not completed. Some Tempests appear in camouflage but with silver nose cowlings, either swapped from other aircraft or not yet painted. Unfortunately no serials/codes are visible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As I now have no worries about the scheme, thanks to Chris' post, I'm ready to do a gloss coat.

2018-01-17_01-36-03

I'll do the upper-surface transfers before giving the underside a gloss coat.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

Gloss coat done so started painting the propeller and hub:

20180117_185642

20180117_185648

(I'll need at least one more coat of red.)

Also, started the transfers:

2018-01-17_07-32-29

Normally, I do 1939 to 1945 but I really like this scheme so I can see me doing a Firedog Beaufighter and Hornet in the future.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

All the transfers have been applied and I've done the walkways on the wings with Tamiya flat black.

2018-01-20_01-10-36

The underside transfer will have gloss coat later before I start to attach the rocket rails.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

Rocket rails (from an Airfix Typhoon) and undercarriage attached.

2018-01-22_08-11-27

Edit: I know there are only seven rails, one was removed from the sprue to test-fit and I forgot to paint it.

Meanwhile, the tires have have been painted with Humbrol 67.

Next up: the rather dodgy-looking Matchbox canopy and a Matt coat.

I might have time to do another, possibly a Lysander (as I've just had one delivered), before the end of the GB.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I like what you're doing with this Simon, sorry though if I missed something further back, there're 'sposed to be only 3 rocket rails under the starboard wing?

Steve.

Thanks Steve and you haven't missed anything, I'm yet to glue the eighth one (I was editing my post as you were writing yours).

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Simon :) Can't wait to see the Lizzie...

Thanks Ced.

I fear you're going to be disappointed because I've got quite a few kits on the go at the moment (an Airfix Beaufighter, a Frog Proctor and two KP Spitfires in addition to this one) and am in the middle of a course which involves writting three 2000-word assignments (which are, sadly, not on Spitfires).

• Like 3

On 24/01/2018 at 8:43 PM, Beard said:

All the rocket rails are now attached (after a fashion) and I've given the upper surfaces a satin coat.

2018-01-24_08-27-14

It needs a poster paint wash but nearly done.

Thanks for looking.

Big fan of this brute, glad you went with the mkii as I think it looks better. Nice work Simon, bit jealous you have this kit, I appear to have always missed out on eBay. 

Rob

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rob85 said:

Big fan of this brute, glad you went with the mkii as I think it looks better. Nice work Simon, bit jealous you have this kit, I appear to have always missed out on eBay. 

Rob

Hello Rob, haven't seen you round these parts much lately. Hope you're well.

I was lucky to get a couple on eB*y for under a tenner and have two left to do as MkIIs (I've got a couple of Freightdog conversions for the MkV so I can do a couple of MkVIs).

• Like 1