(Yet another) Tempest *FINISHED*

Beard

My Bf-109 is nearly finished and it's time to think of what to do next. I've always liked the Tempest (not as much as I like Spitfires mind) and, as my Academy MkV has just been written-off after receiving Cat E damage in an accident involving wrapping paper, it seems like a good idea to join the Tempest fun.

25399342958_18d76dd4ba_b.jpg

(Needless to say, it didn't cost 45p)

Sprues:

39266207261_bbd0bfdeeb_b.jpg

Decals:

24403797527_1ef081ea14_b.jpg

A bag of goodies from a scrapped Academy Tempest. I'll definately use the cockpit bits.)

39266206991_b852a5e84d_b.jpg

I'm undecided as to whether to do a MkII or a MkVI... I have an Xtradecals sheet that has some nice MkIIs (but no MkVIs). Luckily, I'll not have to make a decision until Wednesday.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Not sure about the 'Sky' on the codes though... :unsure:

Yah can't win them all Simon. :D

2 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

Y'all are killing me. I feaking love the Tempest. Excuse an ignorant yank, but what is that nonBirtish scheme? 

Indian Air Force post independence.

Merry Christmas one & all, its a hot fine day here, really looking forward to cooking that roast later, (evening dinner) not. Looking forward to eating it though. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Merry Christmas one & all, its a hot fine day here, really looking forward to cooking that roast later, (evening dinner) not.

Which is why we long ago decided to forgo all that blather, and just do cold meat and salad. BBQ chook from a local hot food place, a bit of ham off the bone, potato salad and various other salad-y things. And something for dessert (which I seldom have at any other time). Works for us, save the roasts for when it's cooler.

Enjoy your day one and all!

• Like 1

I think that is the smart move too Rob but a/ I'm a bit of a traditionalist & b/ the three stooges young men we support  sons are not much into salads & stuff. A cool beer or three helps with temperature regulation quite well too I find. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments gentlemen. I still haven't decided whether to do a MkII or a MkVI (the decision doesn't need to be made just yet anyway).

I have done some cutting and painting though.

I've painted the interior dark grey, mostly to hide the lack of detail but also because I have a feeling the cockpits were black (If I'm wrong it's too late because the fuselage halves have been glued):

20171228_210239

and added the cockpit bits from a scrapped Academy MkV:

20171228_210216

(Flickr seems to be working again, at least on my Android phone. Hurrah!)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

On 28/12/2017 at 11:54 PM, CedB said:

The Tempest is one of my favourites too Simon so I'm in! :popcorn:

No pressure then.

As you can see,  I've decided to do a MkII...

20171231_141729

Wheelwells painted (Humbrol 33 undercoat, Tamiya XF-16 (my favourite paint for aluminium since I can't get Humbrol Metalcote) and a Gouache wash):

20171231_145905

I'm waiting for some black to dry before cracking on.

Thanks for looking and a happy New Year to you all.

• Like 7

The airframe is assembled and the underside has a coat of Humbrol PRU Blue (I'm going for PR771 of 33 squadron).

2018-01-01_04-34-45

There's still some filling to do before a second coat, if I do one... I've been looking for photographs of PR771, to support the Xtradecals scheme, bit the only one I can find on the web is black & white and doesn't look like it has PRU Blue undersides. Has anyone got any evidence of the scheme that they can share?

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct 'PUT' to 'PRU'.
  • Like 7

On 01/01/2018 at 4:56 PM, CedB said:

Nice. I like the wells too :)

Thanks Ced.

Although I'm not convinced by the PRU Blue undersides (due to lack of photographic evidence), I've given them a second coat:

2018-01-03_04-09-41

(The white blobs are PVA glue, I'm using it to 'create' the landing light lenses.)

Next up, mask the undersides and start to paint the upper surfaces.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Beard said:

Although I'm not convinced by the PRU Blue undersides (due to lack of photographic evidence), I've given them a second coat:

Beard,

Well reknowned Typhoon / Tempest 'SME' Chris Thomas illustrates a 33 Sqd Tempest in his latest Osprey title with PRU Blue undersides, so there's a good chance that you are on the right track here. 

Looking good..

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

This build is going to have a brief pause as I need to purchase some Dark Sea Grey (although I could use EDSG) and I'm off to Birmingham for a training course so no modelling until next weekend.

• Like 1

Back from Birmingham and a third of the way through my training (I now have a 2000-word assignment to write before the next part of the course in February).

Visited my LHS today, no kits purchased as they seem to have gone over to 1/48th (I didn't have time to point out the error his ways to the owner because my wife was waiting outside) but I did purchase this:

20180113_142154

Which has lead to this:

20180113_142204

Once it's dry, I'll give it a light sanding before a second coat.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

A model shop with no Gentleman's scale? What is this country coming to! You must go back and point out the error otherwise we'll all be swamped!

Nice satin coat Simon :)

• Like 1