Heinkel 111P-2, Airfix 1:72, plus some extras

Brandy

That time spent on the masking will pay off at the reveal for sure Ian. Great tp see you up and running on this again, despite pining for the Battle. Bravo!

As to:

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The resin wheels are also too wide. Back to square one, use the kit wheels, sand the seems, lose the tread detail, rescribe.....etc, etc....

OR

Do the same thing I did with the Battle and cut the wheels in half vertically to reduce the width. But then I still have the seems......

Decisions.....

I'd  suggest you do whatever is the  most horribly complicated route but that's 'cos I like watching you sort out complex problems from the comfort of an armchair.

• Haha 4

On 8/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, Hamden said:

Which ever option you choose for the wheels the result will be stunning!

Roger

I hope so Roger, the jury's still out on that one but leaning towards a revamp of the resin.....

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That time spent on the masking will pay off at the reveal for sure Ian. Great tp see you up and running on this again, despite pining for the Battle. Bravo!

As to:

I'd  suggest you do whatever is the  most horribly complicated route but that's 'cos I like watching you sort out complex problems from the comfort of an armchair.

Well there's a surprise! As they say t'other side of the pond "payback's a bi**h"

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Ian

I missed this build when it has started !!

Great job on detailling this kit !

Sincerely

CC

Welcome aboard CC! I'll save a Chimay for you...at least I would if I had one!

After splashing a coat of interior colour on the clear bits it became obvious that a little more work was needed. I think next time the plan will be to mask off the clear bits with ordinary masking tape and spray some interior colour to check the fit. That way, if work is needed it won't damage the masks. Then, once everything is sorted, I can add the masks. 

Here's the work that was needed this time.

The underside gondola - you can see from the shadow that the curve of the fuselage is not carried through onto the clear part as it should be.

48568181746_89208266e8_z.jpg

The only solution to that was to remove the masks and sand the clear part until the curvature matched.

48568183021_f5085879b7_z.jpg

After getting that right it was just a case of micromeshing the clear parts and adding a new coat of Klear. Which made me realise that my first point was even more valid. There is no reason not to adjust the clear parts as much as necessary, including sanding, filling, priming etc. as all that is needed after all that is to lightly sand off any excess paint or filler and polish with micromesh!

48568330962_5e89e763c9_z.jpg

48568331107_0b3def3cfe_z.jpg

and nice and shiny with a coat of Klear!

48568182286_121cdf043a_z.jpg

There were also some areas on the nose that needed a little more attention.

48568330632_65f910d642_z.jpg

48568181956_146afa2055_z.jpg

As I said above, this would all have been a lot easier without the masks in place. Hopefully there won't be any residue caught at the edges of the masks and giving me a little lip where I don't want any!

We'll see soon....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 12

On 8/19/2019 at 2:49 AM, CedB said:

Nice work Ian - well worth it in the end :) 

Thanks Ced, isn't it always!

The last couple of days have seen slow progress. I decided that before I resprayed the interior colours on the window framework, I might as well get the undercarriage ready and spray that too. 

This is what it should look like (pics from online walkarounds).

48591919381_3a261f013c_z.jpg

48591918871_b0798be223_z.jpg

Which means a little alteration is needed, the main gear legs appear to be slightly too narrow, which could explain the resin not fitting, but the kit wheels also don't fit without leaving the legs bent outwards! That problem was solved by sanding down the lugs for the axle. There's not much left of them now but the wheels are secure, they fit, and the legs are straight, so problem number one resolved. I also drilled out the sides as per pics, although not quite as big a hole as I didn't want to sacrifice too much of the undercarriage's sturdiness.

48591918491_3bd6f1aa88_z.jpg

You'll also notice I've filled a coupe of large sink marks. Only they're not sink marks, they're location holes for the struts. Oops! better open those up again then!

I toyed with the idea of replacing the crossbars with brass and widening the gear slightly but that would also mean surgery on the other part, plus it could jeopardise the rigidity of the parts so I decided I'd just put up with the slightly overscale look for this one.

You can see here just how overscale those brackets look, which is probably made worse with the gear being too narrow. Or is it the brackets being too thick that makes the legs look too close together? Without measurements I don't know!

48592061822_7ac188b369_z.jpg

48591919161_68343a2649_z.jpg

The horseshoe-shaped casting that the extension/retraction jack attaches to needs far more work. I started by replacing the lower cross member with a much thinner piece of brass rod, and drilling out the lightening holes, which are moulded so they are easy to get positioned correctly.

48591918206_abb00b0929_z.jpg

You'll also notice at the top of those parts are 2 little bits sticking out. These are presumably supposed to be the mounts for the jack, which means they are facing the wrong way! Why would Airfix go to the trouble of moulding these bits pointing in entirely the wrong direction?

There were therefore removed and out came the plastic strip to make up a couple of small brackets and mounting arms. After those were done I added rigging lines for the cross bracing.

48591917926_f967e7b361_z.jpg

Which then meant I was ready for some more paint!

48592060707_54d2e5d891_z.jpg

I'm much happier with that!

48592062987_12c1228363_z.jpg

48591919951_f7f01d9102_z.jpg

48592063177_bd7fd188a6_z.jpg

48592060932_720f12b967_z.jpg

A little more sanding to do on that joint shown above to get rid of that small lip.

and the landing gear

48591919646_83a18fa396_z.jpg

48591919666_900bea3b6f_z.jpg

48592062582_f93f6ea86d_z.jpg

That should work! I'll add the jacks once it's all put together.

That's it for today, have a great evening folks, I'm off for a drink or two!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 14

On 8/21/2019 at 6:24 PM, Courageous said:

Good work gone into those legs. Enjoy your drink or two.

Stuart

Thank Stuart, I did!

On 8/21/2019 at 7:15 PM, CedB said:

Seconded! :) 

Cheers Ced!

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Hey! Back in action. 🤗 Glad to see this one back on the bench. Hope you’re well sir. 

John. 

I am well John, thanks for the thought!  More "action" follows....

After looking a little closer at the pics above, I decided there was only one course of action open to me. The steps from fuselage to canopy were unacceptable so it was back to the method used on the gondola. ie remove the masks and file/sand the clear parts down. 

This is what I had to start with, you can clearly see the joints....

48600805162_9e4bd6e29a_z.jpg

48600669576_784ea82829_z.jpg

I used the back (ie curved) side of a half round jewelers file, lightly, to reduce the canopies until I started seeing the plastic show through on the fuselage next to it. This is what that looks like

48600668891_0472686efd_z.jpg

48600669071_3205ff9198_z.jpg

48600669276_5d389d1eeb_z.jpg

48600670141_492c4c6b9f_z.jpg

It looks pretty awful, but all that is needed is a few minutes with Micromesh, and a coat of Klear, brushed on. Then we are left with this

48600805537_f82aa81946_z.jpg

48600670181_2134486b68_z.jpg

48600669621_1904628236_z.jpg

Job done, and a huge improvement - I hope! I'll only know for sure when everything is finished. Next step is to replace the masks and respray the interior colour. Then a coat of primer over everything to see where extra work may be needed.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 10:50 AM, CedB said:

Brave work and nice result - huge improvement! :) 

Thanks Ced! Once I found out how easy it was there was no excuse not to!

On 8/24/2019 at 12:32 AM, The Spadgent said:

Balls of steel. 🙌 Bravo. Looks great. 🤩

😆 that might explain the back ache!

I got off work early the last couple of days so got a bit more done on this. Nothing much to show for yesterday which was spent going over the seams again and prepping for primer. Today I gave the cockpit glazing a shot of interior colour, then primed it all in Tamiya light grey. Which is, unfortunately, not as light as I had thought it would be!

However, it is now all the same colour and ready for a final check on the seams etc before I start thinking about adding the rest of the knocky-off bits (except the front and lower-rear MGs which will be added right at the end) and getting some (proper) colour on her!

48629582326_4dea990f51_z.jpg

48629736212_f6065a9a7a_z.jpg

Not too bad!

Oh by the way, I emailed the Norwegian museum that contains the Heinkel III P and asked if they could measure the undercarriage for me. I got an email back on Monday saying they would try to do it this week! Result! I will of course post the data here when I receive it for others to use.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 11

Not too much to report this week, but the prep is done and the sticky-out  bits are attached.

48654681547_7f64e91f9e_z.jpg

Actuators added on the tail

48654533826_c60d74f586_z.jpg

That's about ready for some colour! On that note, I noticed when I dug them out that my RLM 70 & 71 are enamels. That's not going to work, living in an apartment building with a shared A/C system, so I duly ordered Vallejo versions which are hopefully on their way. 

I will also take this opportunity to wish a Happy New Year to all our muslim friends on here!

Thanks for stopping by,

Ian

• Like 10

Very nice rectification and multifarious attentions to visual appearances Ian. A perfect example of hand and eye prompting a kit a higher level of fidelity. :clap2:

Shared air conditioning? :hmmm:Have you had to cut back on the amount of Brut aftershave you splash on for fear of driving the neighbours into an erotic frenzy?

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Shared air conditioning? :hmmm:Have you had to cut back on the amount of Brut aftershave you splash on for fear of driving the neighbours into an erotic frenzy?

Please don't tell our Henry!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 3

On 9/1/2019 at 7:56 PM, Howlindawg said:

This would be the plus size Eindecker then?

That greenhouse turned out very nicely, just right for a splash of colour.

Thanks Martin! Colour is proceeding.....

First up today, let me send out a huge Thank You to Øyvind Ellingsen of the Norwegian Air Force Museum, who came up trumps with the measurements I needed. For anyone else building this here are the details. 

This is what I requested, as the kit landing gear looks far too stout and thick.

48671149686_c180afd31f_z.jpg

The measurements supplied are:

A: 31mm      B: 100mm      C: 420mm

Those scale down to A: 0.43mm    B: 1.4mm    C: 5.83mm

The kit measurements are: A: 0.85mm   B: 1.34mm    C5.23mm

As suspected it's a combination of two things. The actual leg thickness is close enough (1.34 v 1.4mm) but the gap between them is .6mm too small, and the bracing struts are double the correct diameter at 0.85 instead of 0.43mm

I have some work to do! I think I can get away with widening the track and not altering the actuating bracket, as .25mm either side can be lost. I will also have to add an axle or most likely, just replace the locating lugs, as I have removed most of them on the main gear legs and they will not now be long enough to hold the wheels securely, if at all! Shouldn't be an issue as I have already drilled out the legs so I just have to insert some rod at the inner ends of each hole. The biggest issue will be thinning the cross members - I can almost see @TheBaron rubbing his hands and grinning at the thought......

The other progress made has been the addition of some proper colour! RLM65 on the undersides and yellow on the spinners.

48671314322_fccfa88526_z.jpg

48671143231_9caabc45f0_z.jpg

48670802993_f6d9008125_z.jpg

I have no idea how I managed to miss the sink mark on the outer rear wing panel, as it shouted at me after i painted it blue!

48670803133_aeda060cd5_z.jpg

I was also not happy with the seams under the engines, so those 3 areas were given a little extra TLC and resprayed. Now all OK.

48670802853_7ce9d6815f_z.jpg

Still not sure about the Vallejo yellow. It took a good few coats but looks sort of....dirty! May give it another few coats.

Anyway, that's it for now. Progress will be slow for the next couple of weeks as I am on duty 10 days straight starting today.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Still not sure about the Vallejo yellow. It took a good few coats but looks sort of....dirty! May give it another few coats.

At the risk of teaching my granny how to suck eggs...

Did you undercoat in white?

Just now, Howlindawg said:

At the risk of teaching my granny how to suck eggs...

Did you undercoat in white?

I didn't. I left it in the bare plastic which is a very pale blue.

Ian

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have no idea how I managed to miss the sink mark on the outer rear wing panel, as it shouted at me after i painted it blue!

some rigger must've dinged it with the safety raiser!  plonkers.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:25 PM, TheBaron said:

Very nice rectification and multifarious attentions to visual appearances Ian. A perfect example of hand and eye prompting a kit a higher level of fidelity. 

I was just going to say that very thing :whistle:

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have some work to do! I think I can get away with widening the track and not altering the actuating bracket, as .25mm either side can be lost. I will also have to add an axle or most likely, just replace the locating lugs, as I have removed most of them on the main gear legs and they will not now be long enough to hold the wheels securely, if at all! Shouldn't be an issue as I have already drilled out the legs so I just have to insert some rod at the inner ends of each hole. The biggest issue will be thinning the cross members - I can almost see @TheBaron rubbing his hands and grinning at the thought......

If I were you I'd start afresh using brass rod, brass tube and a small furry sacrifice. I'll bet his Baronial self would do the same.

Me?  I'd stick the doors on and be done with it!

That underside is looking very nifty indeed.

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I can almost see @TheBaron rubbing his hands and grinning at the thought......

of you having to sort it. :evil_laugh:

9 hours ago, hendie said:

was just going to say that very thing :whistle:

Except that you would have done the text in Autocad, got Shapeways to print it, and then posted a photograph of it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Evening all!

A little progress today thanks to an early finish at work. I did take more pics but the bloody phone ate them again! 

I started today with a final blast of RLM 65 underneath on the areas that needed it, then started on the undercarriage improvements. After drawing out the positions of the cross members, I cut some .4mm brass tube to size (it's Albion Alloys tube and I inserted .2mm nickel silver rod to give it a little more strength). Luckily it appears that the cross members are at 90o to each other which makes things a little easier, so they were then soldered together and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out!

48694316546_ca67c22645_z.jpg

That's the only pic the survived the phone's appetite. All cleaned up and ready to go.......

Next job is to cut the braces off the kit parts and drill the inside of the legs to accept the new bits, then try to add bends to the new parts to fit exactly so that the spacing is correct.

We'll see how this works out fairly soon!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 8