Heinkel 111P-2, Airfix 1:72, plus some extras

Brandy

Well, I've gone and done it again..... I need to give the Muromets a gloss coat before going much further, and I decided to order a painting stand/turntable to help, so that put it on hold for a little while. Then I saw a resurrected thread on a couple of Do17s, and since my other area of interest is the Battle of Britain, I got an itch to do something outside my comfort zone. Here is that something!

38544744184_ed6830e0ca_c.jpg

I haven't been able to find any other threads on this one, I would have thought someone would have done one on here by now! Anyway, here's what you get

27476935919_8fedd7d51e_c.jpg

38544742424_5f01241c5a_c.jpg

27476934429_c95db83eb8_c.jpg

lots of bits of very nicely moulded plastic to play with!

And here's what I'm adding to it

27476937479_7757075960_c.jpg

Eduard masks and interior PE set, Quickboost exhausts, CMK resin undercarriage set (designed for the Hasegawa kit but I'm hoping it will fit ok), and some of these

38544749384_6fe9dd6042_c.jpg

to replace the kit mg's. I'm having fun already!

I started off by cleaning up the ejector pin marks on the fuselage interior, and removing detail where it will be replaced by the PE. I also promptly lost one of the larger cockpit pieces after having sanded the detail off. I was checking the fit, when off it went into never never land! Fortunately the PE part completely covers the kit part so I stuck the PE to a piece of plastic sheet and sanded it down to the same shape. It may turn out to be a help actually because I think the inside of this may be visible, and the kit part had huge locating lugs on it, which are now not there!

Here's the bit I'm talking about

38544746994_ff2ec0d544_c.jpg

I'm still not sure about those rudder pedals. The foot rests have been removed and will be replaced with PE, but I'm also thinking that maybe I should remove the oversized adjustment bars and replace them with thinner brass rod.....

and the fuselage sides with a couple of pieces already added.

27476938669_d13ed04b6d_c.jpg

The plan is to add as much of the unpainted PE as I can, then paint the interior, then add the self adhesive bits. I'm probably going to go for RLM02 for the interior, rather than the slightly later RLM66, just because it should show the detail better. But that's not set in stone......

I do like these new Airfix kits, I've already reverted to child mode! :D

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 25

Ooh nice one Ian, I've got one in the stash but I haven't so much as opened it yet, so it's good to see what's in the box. I believe you will come to congratulate yourself on your foresight in buying the mask set for this one :D 

I think the interior aft of the cockpit was always RLM02 anyway; the RLM66 in the front section was, I think, an attempt to reduce the reflective mirroring effect on the inside of the 'greenhouse' of the 'P' and 'H' versions - I'm not sure at what stage of the Heinkel's evolution this took place though - presumably it was after crews had complained about it, so presumably some were finished in RLM02.

Anyway, got my popcorn, I'll tag along if you don't mind?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'm probably going to go for RLM02 for the interior, rather than the slightly later RLM66, 

I vote that you go for a full mahogany interior with walnut inlay on the IP, but that's just because I'm such a fan of your wood effects Ian...

Happy Christmas to you sir.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

...just taking a quiet seat at the back if that's OK - I promise not to be too noisy with the popcorn :popcorn:

I have one of these in the stash too - so it will be good to see how it goes - as I'm too scared to build anything with that amount of glazing.

• Like 1

Hi LP,

Hope you enjoy the build. 

I built one of these last year; nice kit, not complicated, yet with some nice interior detail.  I found the fit in general to be very good, with some notable exceptions:

The ventral gondola looked as if it'd fit nicely until the separate front glazing bit came into the equation.  I didn't check and had a big sand / fill fest on one side.  Hope yours isn't similarly afflicted.

Check the fit of the side windows early.  Some fitted nicely; others - not so well.  

Finally, I found the main gear support stays quite fiddly.  Probably worth a bit of thought upfront as to how these could most easily be put together.

Despite the above, this was a fun build and I am pleased with the result;  I even bought another boxing of theH to do in the future.

Regards

Martin

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Ooh nice one Ian, I've got one in the stash but I haven't so much as opened it yet, so it's good to see what's in the box. I believe you will come to congratulate yourself on your foresight in buying the mask set for this one :D 

I think the interior aft of the cockpit was always RLM02 anyway; the RLM66 in the front section was, I think, an attempt to reduce the reflective mirroring effect on the inside of the 'greenhouse' of the 'P' and 'H' versions - I'm not sure at what stage of the Heinkel's evolution this took place though - presumably it was after crews had complained about it, so presumably some were finished in RLM02.

Anyway, got my popcorn, I'll tag along if you don't mind?

Cheers,

Stew

Of course I don't mind Stew, in fact you're partly responsible as it was your double Do17 build resurrection which started all this!

7 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Always been interested in the 111; such a workhorse. And that glazed nose, to boot. Looks like you're off to a very strong start despite the missing part.

Thanks Chris, hopefully the launched part isn't an omen.....

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooooh lovely. I bought one of these just before Christmas. It’ll be nice to get some foresight into the build. Great start and some nice extra bits you have there. 

:popcorn: I’ll tag along if that’s ok.

John

Tag along at will, John, glad to have you aboard!

6 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Also on my wish list for next year, will watch with interest 

Welcome aboard Neil!

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice start Ian - I'll come along for the ride if I may :popcorn:

Please do Ced! Just try to keep the popcorn under control...if it gets launched like my lost part we'll all have to start wearing tin hats!

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I vote that you go for a full mahogany interior with walnut inlay on the IP, but that's just because I'm such a fan of your wood effects Ian...

Happy Christmas to you sir.

Tony

Ahh, yes, that very rare bird, the Heinkel 111 Ghia! I don't think they served in the BoB though, so dull grey it will be! Merry Christmas to you and yours too Tony, glad to have you along!

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

...just taking a quiet seat at the back if that's OK - I promise not to be too noisy with the popcorn :popcorn:

I have one of these in the stash too - so it will be good to see how it goes - as I'm too scared to build anything with that amount of glazing.

Welcome  aboard! No popcorn fights with Ced back there though please.....

4 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

Mr Airfix must be happy as yet another one with a 111P in the stash.  Will take a seat if you don’t mind!  Merry Christmas all and health and happiness for next year!

Welcome aboard Ian, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Well, it looks as though we have quite a gathering forming, still plenty of room at the bar though. That reminds me, I need to get a pint in before continuing!

I have been trawling the net for pics of the rudder pedal assemblies, with some success, but still a lot of guesswork. The one thing that is clear is that work is needed to get them a little more lifelike, especially as they sit so prominently out front! I have already removed the foot rest parts as they have PE replacements, and there are a few more PE bits included, although a couple of them represent rods so they will be replaced in turn with brass rod. 

These 2 pics, found on the net (both watermarked so credit given to Charlie delta Airshow Passion for these, I will remove them if there is a problem reposting them here) show the detail I intend to try to replicate.

25396831938_f28ac08f5e_c.jpg

27487646429_a27d361d38_c.jpg[/url]

I'm not going to try to include everything, but just make it a little more lifelike and a bit busier. The mounts for the footplates will be carved down and a small piece of plastic rod inserted for the brake master cylinders, along with the pipework out the front end. The main bracket will be widened at the bottom end, made into a more triangular shape, and drilled to represent the lightening holes, and the upper bar that at the moment leads to nothing, but appears to attach to the yoke assembly, will be replaced by thinner rod.

That's the plan,anyway. I have to work today, so probably won't get a start on it until tomorrow - the advantage of being single: Christmas lunch at a local restaurant, then a touch of plastic surgery!

Merry Christmas to all, and best wishes for 2018!

Ian

• Like 8

This looks set to be the best Christmas view going - it's certainly drawing a crowd.

...wonder if there will be a break for the Queen's Speech tomorrow ;)

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. The new Airfix He111 does look super even OOB, and I'm sure you will make it a lot better.

I do not have one in the stash because I built the old Airfix one here and I am Heinkelled out!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

When I read your first post Ian, I'm thinking, "thats over thinking it a bit" & by my standards it probably is but I know what you can do & no it isn't, just a plan

forming in your fertile & capable imagination which you transform to reality so convincingly. I'll stick around for this I reckon. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2017 at 10:53 AM, neil5208 said:

I presume the picture shows full right rudder 

That's the way it looks to me!

On 12/24/2017 at 1:10 PM, 06/24 said:

Hope there's room at the back, I'm going to pull up a pew and watch proceedings with awe.

Welcome aboard Jon!

On 12/24/2017 at 1:20 PM, BIG X said:

This looks set to be the best Christmas view going - it's certainly drawing a crowd.

...wonder if there will be a break for the Queen's Speech tomorrow ;)

Well it could have been, I couldn't get on the site yesterday!

No Queen's speech in the US unfortunately, I don't think they like that sort of thing over here. Having said that, I went out to a rather top-end restaurant yesterday for lunch, and they only set 1 knife and fork on the table, no dessert cutlery, and no wine glasses. They expected me to use the same fork for starters and main course! Don't even get me started on soggy mashed potatoes with roast turkey....Honestly, these colonials.....

On 12/24/2017 at 3:54 PM, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. The new Airfix He111 does look super even OOB, and I'm sure you will make it a lot better.

I do not have one in the stash because I built the old Airfix one here and I am Heinkelled out!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian! I'm not going to go OTT on it, but will make a few improvements to areas I think really need them.

On 12/24/2017 at 4:54 PM, stevehnz said:

When I read your first post Ian, I'm thinking, "thats over thinking it a bit" & by my standards it probably is but I know what you can do & no it isn't, just a plan

forming in your fertile & capable imagination which you transform to reality so convincingly. I'll stick around for this I reckon. :)

Steve.

I think you're initial reaction was probably about right! Glad to have you along.

OK, well after yesterday's lack of site access, I have a few updates to relay. 

Firstly, a couple of "heads-up" issues...

The Eduard PE set instructions will have you remove all the moulded detail from the instrument panel (part D3) 

DON'T!

These details represent the backs of the instruments, not the side the pilot is looking at! I now have top reinstate all that with bits of plastic rod.....

Second, there is no mention of removing detail from part D6, the throttle quadrant. The moulded throttle and prop controls WILL need to be removed.

27535401789_a41a55fbe8_c.jpg

@The Baron - look what's at the top of the page - a very nicely done geared ring for the upper gun position! (Plus the gunner's sling seat, which will serve as a pattern for a brass rod replacement!) :D

Another couple, regarding the kit itself:

I wasn't sure whether or not to use the resin tailwheel that is in the set I have, so I started looking to see how the kit item mounts. The fuselage back there is empty

27535393309_e90c9fed10_c.jpg

yet the instructions clearly show the wheel assy attaching to something inside....

38435401325_59e4c25658_c.jpg

There is nothing in the instructions showing anything mounted in there, and I couldn't find any part that looked as though it should go in there! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what Airfix had done, it looked like they'd made a huge mistake.....I'm not sure why, but I looked at the tailplanes - that's it! One side of the mounts for those has the cutout that the tailwheel fits into! However, that also meant that I needed to find a way to box in the front and rear around the tailplane mounting lugs, before fitting the tailplanes! With the parts in place (fortunately they fit snugly so I could work with them without gluing anything) I added a couple of pieces of .020 x .040 strip fore and aft, comme ça

]24449080377_cc057b7b0c_c.jpg

This is how it looks when it's all fitted together

38604998054_aa820ff998_c.jpg

Good enough for now, a piece of .010 card can be slipped over it all to hide the seams once everything is fitted. No attempt has been made to make this accurate, I just didn't want to leave it open. You'll also notice that the edges of the opening have been drastically thinned down.

Now onto further improvements made yesterday.

I continued work on the rudder pedal assemblies, and added the brake cylinders with Albion Alloys tube and brass rod, and brass rod for other linkages. The pedals themselves are from the PE set. This is the second incarnation of the brakes, as the pics I had been using showed a master cylinder on top of the pedal mounting bracket, and being attached directly to the front face of the pedals. I then found pics of the Norwegian aircraft which shows the pedals mounted on a triangular shaped bracket, with the cylinders vertically mounted in front, so I changed it to that set up.

38604995574_9c259bbf9f_c.jpg

I also found some scrap PE and made a little mount and shield for the bomb door winding handle.

25443707488_cb150a8e2b_c.jpg

The pilot's seat was next to receive attention, although only minor. The sides were sanded thinner, and the rear end of the sides was lowered slightly. I also filed back the front edge of the seat legs, to leave a lip under the front of the seat.

38604994304_1745aa0337_c.jpg[/url]

The right fuselage was altered slightly because of one of my pet hates - locating lugs that look like oil barrels! I carefully removed the holes for the fold-down seat to the right of the pilot. It's not a problem, the holes are deep enough that there is still positive location for the seat without the huge outcrop of plastic!

39283708812_62907832c6_c.jpg

After that I spent quite a while just cleaning up the parts on the sprues, removing ejector pin marks and various little extra tabs from the moulding process. If there's one thing I'm not too keen on with this kit it would be the relatively soft plastic. It's very easy to work with, but also very easy to mark, and it's difficult to clean parts up properly with a file or sanding stick without leaving little "furry" edges.

Anyway, the last job last night was to tackle to tail wheel itself. Here are the kt parts

27535396569_16a2464ee7_c.jpg

Not bad at all, but would it really have been too hard to make the wheel a separate part? Fortunately the resin set has a separate wheel, but the mounting for it is the wrong shape, being straight instead of curved backwards.

38604990944_393c3740a8_c.jpg

Only one thing for it then....out with the clippers to remove the wheel, and the needle files to open out the mount..... at about 1am this morning I had this....

38435408955_c804385c7f_c.jpg

I have no idea how I'm going to drill it and mount it, but I'll figure that out later. It's certainly a huge improvement!

That's all for now, back to the bench!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, woody37 said:

Rather than drill it, can you add some studs out of plastic rod of a suitable diameter (or stretched sprue)?

Lovely progress :)

I could, but I don't think it would be strong enough. I will need to drill the wheel and the mounting bracket and use brass rod.

Ian

Some more progress today, still working up to the interior paint. 

Some PE on the starboard side, mainly magazine racks.

38445198675_452a313f4b_c.jpg

Then a little scratchbuilding on the Port side using the PE mount for the radios. The PE was just the flat part with a thin strip attached for the mounting bracket. Not even close, so it had to be replaced with some .020" brass rod

38445196965_f6557561f3_c.jpg

and finally a start was made on the gunner's sling seat assembly.

27545207109_ce3c26b468_c.jpg

That's all for tonight, thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 12

On 24/12/2017 at 05:13, limeypilot said:

I do like these new Airfix kits, I've already reverted to child mode! :D

This is exactly how I feel towards most of the new products by Airfix!!! I grew up with the old production and it's great to see thieir phoenix-like resurrection after a dark period.

And you're right as some subjects I had never been really interested in for years now catch my attention!!!

Once said that, I love this subject and the premises look really promising!!! 

I think it was good to loose that part which probably would have never had the exact shape of the PE part!!!

I think on this scale and for this type of aircrft PE are unmatched for their subtle detail and bring the model to life!!!

About the tail wheel support...it would have been a nice surprise for those who build it Out Of the Box, who may have to face the problem once the fuselage halves were glued together, so tour WIP is very welcomed!!!

You're doing great and I'll follow this build with extreme interest!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

I did actually find the missing part the next day - on the floor beneath my chair, where I had looked exhaustively. It was definitely NOT there at the time, so I have no idea where it had been hiding, and how it got there!

Today's work started with finishing the gunner's seat. A couple of pieces of .010" brass rod were added to what I already had, and, apart from the sling itself, I'm calling this complete and ready for paint.

25473112968_e85a23d555_c.jpg

I should probably have soldered it, but don't yet have any flux. If it falls apart I shall buy some...........

After that I looked at the resin wheel wells. The set was designed for the Hasagawa kit so I wanted to make sure they would fit.The first job was to remove the pour stubs with a saw, then free the wings from the sprues, tape them together and see what needed to be done. 

39312459762_631261a721_c.jpg

That looks as though it should fit with a little work! 

I marked the edges and carefully removed a small piece at the front and rear of the sidewalls, then sanded down the sides to match, with many stops to check progress. After a while, the sides were almost right, so I sanded down the rear wall to fit under the wing. I also sanded a slope onto the underside at the rear to thin it and make it fit better without removing detail from the top edge. Final fitting showed one small area that needed a little more adjustment, and that was dealt with by sanding the outer edge of the lower wing centre section shown circled here. The upper side of this part (facing towards the cutting mat as seen in this pic), has a slope to match the wing curvature, this was sanded off to match the moulded detail in the inner edge of the wheel wheel and flatten it off.

24477938357_c9abfa94ac_c.jpg

This is how it looks now

27565032689_0a67b2603a_c.jpg

I can live with that!  Here are the original and modified parts side by side to show how much was removed.

The inner edges together

24477936537_9b5c9b1c9b_c.jpg

outer edges

24477935577_ba462c7c08_c.jpg

and rear ends ( you can also see the slope I sanded onto the upper side)

24477941067_e80326696c_c.jpg

As you can see, not too much was removed. The rear edges will need a little work to blend them in, and the fronts will need to be extended to block the gap, but that shouldn't be too difficult. It may even be possible to use part of the kit parts grafted on to do the job.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 11

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I did actually find the missing part the next day - on the floor beneath my chair, where I had looked exhaustively. It was definitely NOT there at the time, so I have no idea where it had been hiding, and how it got there!

My partner calls this 'mans eyes', happens to me all the time...and every other bloke on the planet.;)

Going 'great guns' their Ian, carry on the good work.

Stuart

• Like 3