Working Lift Bridge Diorama

6 hours ago, Derek A said:

I can't wait to see it working!

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Are you intending to post a vid on here when It's all done?

• Like 1

Thank you @Gorby, @stevehnz, @Derek A, @Jb65rams, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, and @GrahamS for your 'likes' and comments. Much appreciated.

I am sure there will be some sort of video. I am not sure if it will be downloadable for this forum, but I am sure at least there will be a link to it, such as YouTube. I will post that info when this project gets to that stage.

Thanks for your encouraging request.

• Like 2

This part of the project is not complete. I am still waiting for parts. However, I will show what's happening with the boat's vane (that goes through the table).

HTVe0mj.jpg

As you can see I have already started on the vane section before completing the boat.

The main problem was to have power and signals to the boat from under the table. The slot in table is only 3 mm wide. The aluminium vane will be 2 mm, leaving 0.5 mm play on either side.

Decided to use a printed circuit board (PCB) as a means for wiring. The PCB is 1.5 mm thick. If I mount the non-track side, flush to one side of the vane, there will be 0.5 mm gap (minimum), which is plenty.

Wcj3hzZ.jpg

The slots you see on the vane is to accommodate the bulkheads. The long slot in centre is for the PCB.

Making brackets for the PCB and for securing the base plate to vane.

oOEfYAT.jpg

Making the PCB and mounting it to the vane.

TjlJSLP.jpg

to be continued on some later date.

• Like 3

Just caught up on your progress. Utterly brilliant work so far. Everything from start to now is so detailed, and I must thank you for allowing us to share the journey with you. It takes quite a bit of extra time to take photos, upload them and add descriptions etc as you're doing here, and I want to say it is appreciated. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see it progress so for what's left I'll be pulling up a chair if that's ok?

• Thanks 1

Thank you @James B for your kind words and wishing to follow.

A police farce. A bit of diorama humour.

From the console, the left portion of the diorama is basically a large space without any activity. So my next task is to add some balance to that side.

On the bridge road there will be some cars. One of them will be a police car that has broken down. It is being pushed by two policemen, while another is holding up approaching traffic.

I really enjoyed altering the figures. It opens up to lots of possibilities.

Also altered one of the scale cars.

FSqLv2m.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Now you're just being silly. Be realistic.

It would need to be a whole herd of squid and a squadron of Kraken to take down the Titannic.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Now you're just being silly. Be realistic.

It would need to be a whole herd of squid and a squadron of Kraken to take down the Titannic.

Not if they had an iceberg 

Apologies for hijacking your thread Getunderit. Just sharing a little humor. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 4

Thanks @Derek A, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @James B and @Gorby for your reactions.

You guys are so funny.

Here is another altered figurine for "Gone Fishing". Used parts from two bodies to make the angler.

The other parts made another person with hands on his tummy (a crim taking off with the goods)...see above post top-centre.

nzJHySR.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you @Gorby, and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for your reations.

As mentioned, the left side of diorama needs some activity.

Decided to use what was leftover from the two boat kits.

Now a new boat is made from two stern sections.

tLVT3ny.jpg

I cut off one stern end to make it look a bit deeper.

Here is a comparison in size with the BINGAL.

dkMOd9O.jpg

The following is similar to what you have already seen, but with a different boat.

4kiaT1l.jpg

F2z7Zff.jpg

53DoJms.jpg

S5yygrI.jpg

This is the boat which will go after the giant squid, as Gorby requested.;)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Getunderit said:

This is the boat which will go after the giant squid, as Gorby requested.;)

That made me laugh out loud.

Stirling work so far, as usual.

From a man of your calibre I take it the squids tentacles are going to move and the eyes glow red, and will it pull the entire boat beneath the surface or just the bod with the pointy-stick?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

That made me laugh out loud.

Stirling work so far, as usual.

From a man of your calibre I take it the squids tentacles are going to move and the eyes glow red, and will it pull the entire boat beneath the surface or just the bod with the pointy-stick?

Ha ha ha. That would be awesome.

Don't be upset if I do not actually produce a giant squid for you. The museum has a say about this, and it says 'No'.

But don't lose heart, I did say ...

On 3/8/2018 at 6:33 PM, Getunderit said:

I'll see what I can do without the museum curator giving me a dark frown.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

All joking aside some of the best diorama’s I’ve seen usually have a tiny “Got you” item somewhere hidden in them. Only someone who’s really studying the whole thing would catch it. Maybe you could do something like that ?  

I am not sure I got what you mean (pun not intended). Could you give me your best tiny "got you" example?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Getunderit said:

I am not sure I got what you mean (pun not intended). Could you give me your best tiny "got you" example?

To elaborate on what @Corsairfoxfouruncle is saying: Anything that's hidden in plain sight that makes you smile knowing others don't see it, despite it being obvious. It's the sort of thing kids always see, but adults miss. For example you could have the prisoner arresting the cop, or a little squid tentacle grabbing someone one the beach/shore round the ankle. Your boat name is another example tbh. 99% of people won't see it, they'll look past it and not take in what they've actually seen. However, I think you can come up with something much better than my examples, that means more to you. 

Also, while I'm here, just wanted to say how great the fisherman looks. You're really turning those plain figures into works of art.

Edited by James B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, James B said:

To elaborate on what @Corsairfoxfouruncle is saying: Anything that's hidden in plain sight that makes you smile knowing others don't see it, despite it being obvious. It's the sort of thing kids always see, but adults miss. For example you could have the prisoner arresting the cop, or a little squid tentacle grabbing someone one the beach/shore round the ankle. Your boat name is another example tbh. 99% of people won't see it, they'll look past it and not take in what they've actually seen. However, I think you can come up with something much better than my examples, that means more to you. 

I think James explained it as good as i could. ... Thanks James.

one thing i came up with, maybe a submarine periscope ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you @James B for the enlightened information. My mind instantly came up with a few quirky ideas. Thanks you.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle, a periscope, now that is a good and funny idea. I am very tempted to use that one.

Thank you @James B, @Derek A, @Steve_farrier, @Gorby, and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for your reactions.

This diorama is to replace another diorama, built be two previous museum members, Clem and Peter. The display is of the various maritime signages and buoys.

Out of respect for their service and their diorama, I have decided to name the new boat the CLEM-PETER.

The boat will be a buoy tender of sorts, with a large crane and buoys on deck.

So, the story in mind is that an old defunctional buoy broke loose and drifted upstream. It was found on the riverbank near the Wardell bridge.

The CLEM-PETER was sent to pick the old buoy up and replace it with a new buoy for someplace downstream.

The OLD BUOY / GORBY'S GIANT SQUID

vhAyenI.jpg

ITtVWSY.jpg

Edited by Getunderit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3