Vought Kingfisher

I'm going to go for it. A speed dance equivalent of two Kingfishers. This is the first, a Lindberg boxing procured somwhere I know where not. Found amongst the loft insulation a count of days ago. It did cost £10 though.  It's basic, but OK, the plastic is like post multiple colour Matchbox, a kind of silvery shade. There are a small number of sink marks and there are holes for both the undercarriage and floats. Also the cockpits are minimalistic with weird seats. No gun ring or control column the wings are moulded inone piece upper and lower parts that threads through the fuselage as does the tailplane. The instructions are seriously but rather fetchingly old fashioned and the transfers don't look great but I'll not be using them..

resized_050e63cc-cf55-4352-9223-b29985b2

The Airfix kit will be another thread

Here we are all in the comforting sturdy box. I will refrain from asking Mr Revell to see how good these old fashioned boxes are. 

resized_e836526a-0fd1-4232-9837-3c49dbfe

Sprue

resized_b52de82d-ca28-4d2b-82a4-c9f43eeb

Instructions, transfers and the transparencies. You can see the transfers look suspect, even at this early stage.

resized_1f208b95-20db-4ff1-b954-52119715

• Like 5

Hi 825!

Welcome again to the GB with your second entry! It's a great choice and I wish you the best of look to finish it before the deadline!

Cheers

Jaime

I have done a bit of work but no photos yet, some painting and a bit of sanding. Along with some filling of a few sink holes and the slot in the float for the stand. 

I was was going to do one of these, with the other being for the Airfix version. 

resized_cab4f63a-2bc2-4cd9-a380-2945616b

But, I saw this one in the Warpaint book, along with some information on the aircraft and the armed merchantman it was on. Apart from part of the serial I have all the necessary transfers, as well as black and red strip for walkways and warnings. 

resized_3b2d327f-2618-49a6-a6db-f580a716

If there's any copyright issues let me know and I'll take the picture down and look for another. 

• Like 2

Info on the Warpaint book, which is an excellent read as well a very good reference source can be found here 

• Like 1

Here's the work from this morning. Some holes filled and sanded down, a few pieces glued together, primarily the float. And some paint on.

resized_c84048ff-4a72-48c1-940f-e86b9753

One of the prop blades was broken and had the be reglued into place, but looks OK.

resized_1ac4a4c8-7322-4ed5-bc3c-8acc5774

I was going to make it completely OOB But the seat in the rear cockpit is so wrong. It looks like an early ejector seat, absolutely no resemblance to a Scarff ring and no gun. The former I can make from plastic strip and the latter can be source from the spares box. There's one lurking in an Airfix Avenger boxing somewhere. 

• Like 4

Progress over the past few days. Fuselage closed up, cowling on, a fair bit of filling and sanding. Though to be fair much of that was filling in the holes for the wheeeld undercart and the stand. Rear cockpit inserted and tailplane on. 

resized_94364e63-096f-4240-9d65-fa3eeab2

As aforementioned the TAG or observer's seat was a weird looking almost rudimentary elector seat. So it was replaced by a ring of plastic strip to make a rough representation of a Scarff ring. The strip was taped around a pencil, then boiling water poured over it before sticking it under that cold tap. It was then trimmed to size in situ.

resized_f5d8509b-8225-47d2-9465-a99f806e

The underside showing the filled holes. 

resized_ff36409c-da6d-4fe7-b63e-a8efd885

The model has cleverly engineered wings which the fuselage sides should be threaded onto, fitted around and then glued closed. This is brilliant for fixing dihedral, avoiding seams at the fuselage/wing joins and gives great strength. I discovered that they should be fixed in before closing the fuselage up, so had to trim off the locating points and squeeze the wings and tail planes through. But I think I got away with it in the end.

resized_8d73565f-7cc6-4f4e-9104-64465c86

And here we are at the end of today.

resized_f6e341aa-43d8-4ad4-bd01-6c8a17ab

• Like 2

The engine isn't bad for something that I think is the best part of 50 years old. Matt black with an aluminium dry brushing

resized_df44e6ce-6c0e-4c0c-b4d8-731c51af

And the main float has been assembled, filled, sanded and started to get some paint.

resized_04bfdf3f-380f-4145-bae0-df455c9a

• Like 4

On 25/12/2017 at 12:51 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Time to go to bed 825 or you will frighten Santa away :santa:

Cheers Pat

Didn't quite realise how late it was when I posted these Pat. It did not seem to cause any issues with Santa though. Amongst the things around the tree in the morning were a bottle of malt, some sloe gin and believe it or not Real Ale chocolate truffles. There was also a promise of an Airfix Phantom FGR 1 in the post. Apparently even Santa has to wait when Hannants are out of stock!

On 25/12/2017 at 1:14 AM, jrlx said:

Good progress!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. It is a rather nice kit despite its age and simplicity. 

• Like 2

Some tidying up and a bit more paint on. Needs another few coats to cover up filling and sanding work but moving on. 

resized_67d77b83-132d-4afc-af35-78fec540

• Like 3

The pilot's seat isn't great so a quick upgrade with Tamiya tape seat belts and a control column from wire. 

resized_c184a8ff-9f51-499a-ab46-70ba6d72

Still not great but a bit of an improvement 

• Like 1

On 28/12/2017 at 12:13 AM, 825 said:

Didn't quite realise how late it was when I posted these Pat. It did not seem to cause any issues with Santa though. Amongst the things around the tree in the morning were a bottle of malt, some sloe gin and believe it or not Real Ale chocolate truffles. There was also a promise of an Airfix Phantom FGR 1 in the post. Apparently even Santa has to wait when Hannants are out of stock!

Thanks Jaime. It is a rather nice kit despite its age and simplicity. 

May I be nosy and ask what the Malt was ?

As I used to live on Islay, I have you could say a passing interest in Malts :cheers:

cheers Pat

On 02/01/2018 at 5:25 PM, JOCKNEY said:

May I be nosy and ask what the Malt was ?

As I used to live on Islay, I have you could say a passing interest in Malts :cheers:

cheers Pat

Of course, it's Glenfiddich IPA Experiment. It's one of their craft malts which is finished in IPA beer casks. Haven't tasted it yet as working through some others presently. 

• Like 1

Airframe complete and just a little bit of touching up required

resized_b284d29f-a9a1-4386-a082-fd2d93c1

Canopies masked. Will put them on today, let them get fixed and start painting tomorrow. 

resized_0ecef1f4-fbbe-4604-9a72-78b542f6

• Like 1

Canopies and main float on. The canopies seem a little on the large side and there's a bit of overhang on the rear compartment but I'll live with it. Can't be seen at the moment but I scavenged a machine gun from an Airfix Avenger, which wasn't going to be used anyway, and glued it to the Scarff ring. 

resized_e1c1c7e7-f8d6-4494-afac-a7737f32

Painting finished and some transfers on. 

9879824d-4902-4bb5-a8a0-465d51ae2771.JPG

resized_2a9d8fe0-5305-49c9-9a14-cff0ec48

• Like 2