Airfix 1/48 Westland Lynx HMA.8 XZ731

Here is my latest build and second Lynx Mk8. It was built for a mate who was the M1 on the flight doing counter-piracy in the Indian Ocean.

I used the Eduard Big Ed photo-etch set and scratch built a few bits as well.

38179338224_958e2afd73_b.jpg

27118290579_aefa4a7fb8_b.jpg

27118290489_6250e89e35_b.jpg

38179338074_f130a4f3d1_b.jpg

Red

• Like 66
  • Thanks 3

Lovely work - though your mate who is the M1 would probably be shot if he allowed that much exhaust staining to build up on his cab!

One observation if I may; in the very first photo, the left hand blade as we look seems to droop too much (for a semi-rigid head).  In other photos the blades look fine; might that mean that one blade is a little out of line with the other 3?

P.S.  Top marks for toe-ing the main wheels out; SO many Lynx models get this wrong, despite Airfix’s clear instructions.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Thanks for all of the comments. 

Jens - I've never fired the M3M but have been in the back when it has been fired a few times, even though I knew it was going to fire it still made me jump.

EX-FAAWAFU - You are correct about this slightly misaligned blade, it was the best of a bad job to be honest, they just would not line up. In the photos, the exhaust staining looks a bit too much however in the flesh it looks pretty accurate. Those old Gems used to kick out an awful lot of oil, but yes, when i was an M1 i would have cab wiped it, so he must have been a gash M1 then.

ModellerUK - Airfix released my flight cab in the Lynx giftset boxing, so they can be blamed entirely for me returning to the hobby about 5 years ago. Well that and the internet when I decided to research how hard can it be to make it look half decent.

Buzby061- We has quite a few attention grabbing nose arts, mine was Miss Behavin' that comes with the Airfix gift set boxing.

Red

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi 

Just starting my build of the Airfix 1/48 Westland Lynx HMA.8 XZ731 after building the Army version . The version I want to duplicate is the Anti surface warfare.

am not sure about the weaponry system this craft carried How many Skua missiles were carried surly not 4 ? Can you help me on this matter

Thanks 

•  

28 minutes ago, Spitfire74 said:

Hi 

Just starting my build of the Airfix 1/48 Westland Lynx HMA.8 XZ731 after building the Army version . The version I want to duplicate is the Anti surface warfare.

am not sure about the weaponry system this craft carried How many Skua missiles were carried surly not 4 ? Can you help me on this matter

Thanks 

•  
  • Naval: 2 x torpedoes or 4x Sea Skua missiles or 2 x depth charges

Spifire74 - I have only ever seen and loaded 2 Sea Skuas on a Lynx Mk8, a Mk3 could carry 4 but the Mk8 was too heavy to carry that many. They can be loaded singly on either side or both sides and I know of at least one occasion when two were loaded on one side. The torpedoes and depth charges were always loaded singly on either or both sides.

35299831314_78ce3f460c_b.jpg

This was my first Airfix Lynx Mk8, it is also XZ731, but when she was involved in the Libya conflict. They always flew with two live Sea Skuas on the right hand side and the M3M heavy machine gun on the left. She also had different nose art 'Miss Fit' that Hannants do in their Xtradecal Lynx decal set.

Red

Edited by RedBarron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1