Tamiya F-14A Tomcat Advice

Tiger331

I have the new Tamiya F-14A Tomcat but want to complete a late-model F-14A or F-14A+. I noticed (in Section 12) of the instructions a requirement to fill in a number of panel lines and apertures and cut off some airframe details but I do not know if these actions are applicable to the late model F-14A or only relate to the aircraft options in the kit (both early model non-TCS fitted USN F-14As) or the IRIAF example. To complicate matters, I am without my own extensive reference library which is in long-term storage so I have not been able to ascertain what details (if any) I have to remove or retain. Are there any F-14 experts out there that can confirm what I need to do - I've bought the relevant Eduard Brassin and Quickboost aftermarket items to complete the model so just need to know more about the actual kit plastic before I start carving !.

Many Thanks   

You can only build an F-14A using the kit supplied engine nozzle parts, and to depict a late F-14A you'll have to add the fin strengthening plates (available in vinyl from Steel Beach and as etched parts from Furball and others) and as you've already mentioned the TCS pod under the nose (Quickboost or any other injection Tomcat kit), many airframes also had strengthening around the forward fuselage steps added later in their life. If you want to model a LANTIRN capable aircraft you also need a PTID screen and sidestick for the rear cockpit (Steel Beach does a LANTIRN set including the pod, pylon adaptor, screen and side stick).

It does look like the kit has been designed for the later GE engines of the F-14A+/B and the F-14D but no word on a release date yet if ever.

Hello Tweeky,

You will find on http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail.htm...these differences are more or less: the beaver tail and the exhaust but also the Cannon and the cokpit and few details on the plane. Kindly have a look on the  diferent chin pods also you may have 6 different.

Watch out the AIM9 sidewinder B/D/E/H/ N/P L/M there are some noticable differences. 

You will need to purchase or create a LAU-138 Chaff Disp. Missile Rail for your late AIM 9 because Tamiya provide only 2 LAU-127.

If you want to build a late F14A from the VF211 in Iraq (1997) you will need a Lantrin AN/AAQ-14 with its chin pod, 2 bomb pylons, the bombs, a square screen and a side stick for the RIO (cokpit), 2 LAU 138. Tamiya kindly provide the Phenix pylon and the AIM-7 sparrow rail.

I kindly advise you to have a look with the48ers.com based in Cyprus for resin parts and Hannats UK for decals.

I hope that it will help you.