1/32 Revell F4-F Wildcat

Hi,

Ive been building the old Revell Wildcat Kit which dates from the 60's.

Here it is OOB but with some Superscale decals for an aircraft from VF41 on USS Ranger.

resized_cc781435-54aa-4974-addd-ae701560

resized_21926fcc-2664-42a1-a259-8bb2e8e3

resized_d055afec-ca8f-4d9c-9913-daa5580b

resized_1f419972-c551-41cb-bff1-60ca23ab

A fun build and a nicely sized model not bad for a 50 yo.

Thanks for looking 

Plasto

• Like 31

Any tips, comments, suggestions for the studio audience in case somebody wants to build one?

BTW i didn't say it before, but you did a masterful job at preserving a lot of those fine raised rivets, which somehow look "right" on this model, and out of scale on the Tamiya kit.

-d-

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the feedback and likes on my build.

2 hours ago, David H said:

Any tips, comments, suggestions for the studio audience in case somebody wants to build one?

-d-

The kit is old but the fit for the most part is very good. It has some features like working folding wings that I bypassed as they are pretty crude. Really it’s nothing a bit of time  dry and test fit and old fashioned modelling techniques cannot achieve. The only ‘fancy’ thing I did was re-enstate the fuselage panel line on the belly and Spine with foil tape. 

I really enjoyed building it as it built up pretty quickly there are very few parts and the final scheme is pretty colourful. I also learned a lot about the Wildcat and USS Ranger along the way.

Cheers

Plasto

Thanks for the feedback guys I’m glad you like it. 

14 hours ago, ModellerUK said:

Very nice, would look at home on the deck of a carrier, any plans for a diorama? 

No plans for that I might make a generic WW2 US carrier deck base. I’d like to build a 1/32 Hellcat at some point so that would serve well for that.

Merry Christmas to all.

Plasto

On 12/25/2017 at 5:00 AM, Plasto said:

No plans for that I might make a generic WW2 US carrier deck base. I’d like to build a 1/32 Hellcat at some point so that would serve well for that.

Merry Christmas to all.

Plasto

Good idea, if you had a generic one you could always swap and change as to which aircraft you fancy displaying on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2017 at 12:00 AM, Plasto said:

Merry Christmas to all.

Plasto

I recommend the Nautilus Models wooden deck highly; looks like wood because it IS wood.

-d-

Fantastic result. I like this "old school" Revell 1:32 kits as they are not over enginered and with these days weatheri g and airbrushing equipment and some skills could turn into great model as we can see on your pictures.

On 12/25/2017 at 3:00 PM, Plasto said:

On 12/25/2017 at 12:30 AM, ModellerUK said:

Very nice, would look at home on the deck of a carrier, any plans for a diorama? 

Merry Christmas to all.

Plasto

Hi Plasto,

That's a beautiful Wildcat. I also really like the early WWII USN schemes. And as others above have said, the surface detail looks great on your model.

As for carrier bases, you can use your own timber with PE USN tie-downs from Tom’s Modelworks:

http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=235

I just used their 1/72 USN tie-downs for a carrier base for my Wildcat.

Kind regards,

David