RAF Phantom in 1/72

philbrad

Greetings, first post on here. I'm a modeller of 40+ years mainly 1/72 modern(ish) NATO military aircraft. Always been a fast jet guy. Past 20+ years I've been building and playing a certain SCI-FI 28mm wargame from a company you might know in Nottingham, but of late I've come back to my planes for a bit of relief. 

Anyway projects. I very rarely build straight out of the box. Just finishing a California ANG F-15C MSIP in the old Aggressor two tone brown scheme before its repaint in normal F-15C livery, Hobbyboss kit, ok not the best decent shape some details, Ares resin ejector seat and TwoBobs decals. Got a very sexy Academy new tool F-15E that'll be a 48th FW bird when done got some resin goodies for this too. Oh and a couple of F-16's I'm not 100% certain on yet (a Wild Weasel variant in the new 'Have Glass' is on the cards for one) 

Phantoms... RAF ones built a few in my time. From the horrible Matchbox RAF Phantom of the 70's through to the very sexy Fujimi offerings. My eye has been taken with forthcoming FG1 from Airfix but I want to do a FGR.2 in the 74 Sqn colours from just before the Phantoms retirement back in the early 90's. This could be 'tweaked' to create and FGR.2 by modding the slatted tailevators to smooth and dropping the undercarriage front leg height. Apart form that I dont know of any major visual changes would be needed to make the FG.1 to an FGR.2 (I expect Airfix themselves will produce an FGR.2/F-4M in due course. 

Question. What do you guys recommend as a good 1/72nd scale F-4M Phantom FGR.2 ? I plan to kit it out in full Skyflash/AIM9L/SUU-23 weapons just as it would have in its last years of service. Just reading Key Publishing's excellent RN/RAF F-4K/M special magazine has somewhat inspired me to have a crack the the Rhino in her old RAF colours, plus, any ideas on good 1/72nd scale detailing pieces for the Phantom is welcome. By the looks of things on the Airfix site their FG.1 will have some quite nice detailing touches built in. 

Input appreciated ans compliments of the season to your all. 

PhilB 

For a late RAF FGR. 2 you may want to replicate the underwing strengthening straps; these will be catered for in the new Airfix kit as alternative lower centre-section inserts and outer wing panels.

If you're converting from an FG. 1 you should eliminate the three small "traffic lights" from the front nosewheel door and the catapult hooks and their recesses from below the inboard wing leading edges.