Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

Posted by Airfix on Facebook

"Hello everyone.
We're sorry to say the Spitfire Mk.XIV mention was an error in the introduction text and it is not included in the 2018 range. Please take our apologies."

Allan

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

- The Series 1 Gnat & Tiger Moth have now crept up to Series 2??  

That's because they will now be boxed with 2 decal options instead of a single option as in the series 1 kits.

In the recent past Airfix did the same with a number of kits, like the Spitfire, P-51, Fw.190 and Bf.109E, however with these the Series 2 box included some new parts. I'll be curious to see if the Gnat and Tiger Moth get the same treatment or retain the same sprues with the only addition of extra decals.

Will be also interesting to see if the original Series 1 kits will remain in the catalogue or not

I'm happy enough.

The RAF Mitchell, the Wellington and the wonderful old Marauder.

And I'm tempted by the 1/48 Mustang IV too.

Glass half full....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone else spot the error? 

Welcome to the Airfix 2018 Range!

2018 is another exciting year for Airfix, with dozens of new releases over the coming year! In the range you’ll find gems like the Blenheim Mk.1F and Hawker Hunter F6 in fantastic 1:48 scale, as well as the long-awaited Spitfire Mk.XIV in the same quarter scale.

For our 1:72 scale fans there’s just as exciting news, with the wonderful new Wellington Mk.IC, Phantom FG.1 and new versions of many other recent new moulds. 2018 is another great year for plastic modelling!

Ah, sorry to say you've read it wrong.

It WAS a mistake that it was briefly put up on the UK site, but the Spit XIV is for the U.S of A market,

the give away is:- "in the same quarter scale" we Brit's always say 48th :whistle:

1 hour ago, Blacktjet said:

So what do we think will be the big release at Telford in November??

NOTHING! Come on, keep up at the back, the Airfix sales model has changed, the Boss has spoken..................

23 minutes ago, shatters said:

Surprised to see the phantom fgr2 this year, was expecting an RAF fg1 this year and the fgr2 next year.

Phil

FG.1 was supposed to be autumn 2017. So naturally FGR.2 is 1 year behind. 

RAF centenary set is definitely for young Johnny / starter kit market being modestly priced at 30 GBP. I do not think there was any other way to put it as low if new tools included... 

7 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

however with these the Series 2 box included some new parts. I'll be curious to see if the Gnat and Tiger Moth get the same treatment or retain the same sprues with the only addition of extra decals.

What part were missing in original Gnat kits? The only thing I can think of is the screen in front of the rear seat. 

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

well... 1/72 twin-seat Me262, Phantom FGR.2, Wellington - that is what I think I'm taking.

Is that B-26 going to be a 1970s kit? 

Also RAF centenary kit contains 1/72 Camel. Is it a new tool?

It really ought to be.  The old tooling is pretty poor.  The fact that the illustration is of a 2F1 as per the old kit doesn't auger well.  The Typhoon kit is pretty poor I believe as well so I won't be purchasing the Centenary boxing.

13 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

That's because they will now be boxed with 2 decal options instead of a single option as in the series 1 kits.

In the recent past Airfix did the same with a number of kits, like the Spitfire, P-51, Fw.190 and Bf.109E, however with these the Series 2 box included some new parts. I'll be curious to see if the Gnat and Tiger Moth get the same treatment or retain the same sprues with the only addition of extra decals.

Will be also interesting to see if the original Series 1 kits will remain in the catalogue or not

I can't imagine what extra parts could be included for the Gnat unless, that is, they are going to include the rocket pods for the Hotshots version!

2 hours ago, Rodders154 said:

Ladbrooks just quoted 500/1 on a 1/12 scale Nigel Farrage

To avoid any accusations of political bias I have checked and Airfix have sold the tooling to del prado as the list of politicians to include in a limited edition ‘dog fight double’ couldn’t be narrowed down. The good news is that as well as Britain’s Most Loved/Hated/Worshipped* Politicians/Comedians* (delete where applicable) ‘in just 598 weekly parts - first part only £0.01/€200, normal price £0.01/€200’ there will also be a series of exclusive limited edition ‘backstabbing doubles’ featuring Maggie plus Conservative of your choice, followed by Any Labour Leader plus any Labour member, later it is hoped to produce an SDP ‘Gang of Four’ as a special Christmas Nostalgia set. 

NB Some politicians might be more expensive due to the larger amount of plastic required to mould them....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

What part were missing in original Gnat kits? The only thing I can think of is the screen in front of the rear seat. 

Don't think parts were missing, apart from that one. I wonder if the new box will also see a new sprue as done for the kits I mentioned. Problem is that....

Just now, Meatbox8 said:

I can't imagine what extra parts could be included for the Gnat unless, that is, they are going to include the rocket pods for the Hotshots version!

Same here, the only thing I can think of are parts for this. IIRC the "rocket pods" though were simply standard tanks with holes for the rocket painted in black so these can be made with decals in the kit. Can't comment on the Tiger Moth options.

If no new sprues are included then it's £3 more for one extra decal option compared to the original kits

• Like 2

Well, I'm at least glad that Revell are to re-release their Hunter, which helps to blunt the disappointment about Airfix's scale choices this year.  Still, the Wellington and Phantoms are very welcome indeed. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

It really ought to be.  The old tooling is pretty poor.  The fact that the illustration is of a 2F1 as per the old kit doesn't auger well.

The old tool Camel is NOT pretty poor.

It's bloody diabolical.  Both the Minicraft and Revell kits are better, which says a great deal AND it's a pig for a genuine WW1 enthusiast to get together, far less a beginner. And I've built it as both

Shane

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shane said:

It's bloody diabolical.  Both the Minicraft and Revell kits are better, which says a great deal AND it's a pig for a genuine WW1 enthusiast to get together, far less a beginner. And I've built it as both

Shane

In addition, and I'll have to check my references, I've a feeling the Camel illustrated (as per the markings) wasn't even a 2F1. 

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

In addition, and I'll have to check my references, I've a feeling the Camel illustrated (as per the markings) wasn't even a 2F1. 

That's also my opinion - discussed elsewhere a couple of days ago

Shane

25 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Ah, sorry to say you've read it wrong.

It WAS a mistake that it was briefly put up on the UK site, but the Spit XIV is for the U.S of A market,

the give away is:- "in the same quarter scale" we Brit's always say 48th :whistle:

NOTHING! Come on, keep up at the back, the Airfix sales model has changed, the Boss has spoken..................

Out of interest. Why would they only release Spitfire XIV in the US. Surely it would be a banker for the U.K. and European market?

Quite pleased with most of those releases by the way.

James

13 minutes ago, Shane said:

Shane

Have checked the Osprey Camel Aces book and, as suspected, Camel B3417 is an F1, not a 2F1.  Naughty Airfix.  Major Collishaw's as it happens, of 203 Squadron - so at least it is RAF and not RNAS, bearing in mind it's an RAF Centenary release. 

Well, I'm excited for the Mitchell II and the Wellington.

19 minutes ago, GordonM said:

To avoid any accusations of political bias I have checked and Airfix have sold the tooling to del prado as the list of politicians to include in a limited edition ‘dog fight double’ couldn’t be narrowed down. The good news is that as well as Britain’s Most Loved/Hated/Worshipped* Politicians/Comedians* (delete where applicable) ‘in just 598 weekly parts - first part only £0.01/€200, normal price £0.01/€200’ there will also be a series of exclusive limited edition ‘backstabbing doubles’ featuring Maggie plus Conservative of your choice, followed by Any Labour Leader plus any Labour member, later it is hoped to produce an SDP ‘Gang of Four’ as a special Christmas Nostalgia set. 

NB Some politicians might be more expensive due to the larger amount of plastic required to mould them....

I've long maintained they could do a dogfight double featuring the late Tony Benn and Baron Tebbit back in their RAF days.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Well, I'm excited for the Mitchell II and the Wellington.

I've long maintained they could do a dogfight double featuring the late Tony Benn and Baron Tebbit back in their RAF days.

How about Thatcher vs Heseltine? They could call it Blue on Blue.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Out of interest. Why would they only release Spitfire XIV in the US. Surely it would be a banker for the U.K. and European market?

Quite pleased with most of those releases by the way.

James

James, sorry matey, just a 'piddle take'.

So many are doing passable impersonations of the famous 'headless chicken' (N.B. NO chickens were harmed!!)

toys are being cast out of various prams, hither, thither and yon.

Sorry Guys and Gals, them's the releases, either 'read it and weep' or 'scream from the rooftop'.

Paul

P.S. the show in Germany can't be THAT far away................................................:whistle::wicked:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

well... 1/72 twin-seat Me262, Phantom FGR.2, Wellington - that is what I think I'm taking.

Is that B-26 going to be a 1970s kit? 

Also RAF centenary kit contains 1/72 Camel. Is it a new tool?

The B-26 dates back to 1973. Still a very good kit despite its age and, very reasonable at £18.99. You get a lot in the box!!

Allan

• Like 1

Not that it really affects me because I don't build 1/48th but aren't the colour choices for the Hunter a little odd?  Two non-operational aircraft.  All those lovely squadron bars, or the Black Arrows or Blue Diamonds but they've gone for very bland options.  I would imagine Xtradecals will be dining out on this. 

• Like 1