Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

1 minute ago, Albeback52 said:

The B-26 dates back to 1973. Still a very good kit despite its age and, very reasonable at £18.99. You get a lot in the box!!

Allan

True. BUT...

RAF Centenary Set brought as present/souvenir by casual buyer. One kit is great, one OK but not up to the same standard, third has little to recommend it. Not really likely to encourage follow-on sales. Why not the Be 2C? That was the aircraft the RAF was formed to protect.

I don't expect the concept of a loss-leader to be viable for Airfix but accepting a reduced margin on something aimed at attracting and keeping new customers would be logical. 

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

For this I woke up early???  Actually, I'm thrilled to bits about the new Hunter. We can guess that there will be an FGA.9 release to follow but will they also accommodate the earlier versions; time will tell. Obviously, there's a Spit XIV coming in 2019. 

I can't believe that they are re-releasing the Eurofighter Typhoon and the ancient Sopwith Camel 2F1. This is a step backwards for the brand.

I'll be happy to get the Victor K.2, Phantom FGR.2, Wellington Ic, Meteor FR.9, 1/48 Blenheim IF, Walrus variant, and the export Sea Fury. The Sea King HAR.3 rebox looks sharp as well.

It's pretty clear that the new tool program has been impacted by Hornby's continuing financial woes, so let's hope the company turns the corner in 2018 and we see a more expansive release program in the following years.

Now where are my coffee and donuts...

The Hunter kit is actually an F.6/F.6A so you should be able to model an FGA.9 from it as it has the extended brake-chute housing..

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Long overdue to have a proper kit which does not need a lot of aftermarket stuff.

Wait until they start ripping the kit apart on here, I'm surprised they haven't started to complain about the shape already. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Posted by Airfix on Facebook

"Hello everyone.
We're sorry to say the Spitfire Mk.XIV mention was an error in the introduction text and it is not included in the 2018 range. Please take our apologies."

Allan

I would rather they take my pre order!

Trevor

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phantom Phil said:

The Hunter kit is actually an F.6/F.6A so you should be able to model an FGA.9 from it as it has the extended brake-chute housing..

Well spotted Phil.. didn't notice that. 

This should help with those wanting something other than an F.6. as the FGA.9 offers many more camouflage options and export opportunities. 

Cheers.. Dave  

27 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

The B-26 dates back to 1973. Still a very good kit despite its age and, very reasonable at £18.99. You get a lot in the box!!

Allan

It's one of their best I think, and you won't need to pay that either. I shall abandon my Ebay search for one now..

And that box art is one of Mr Tooby's finest!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

I think Airfix are to be applauded for some really nice decal options on the re-issues (French and Irish Walrus, RAF Post-War Dakota, Big Hairy Bird Marauder). Not much new? What do you expect, times are tough you know! Interest to note that all the re-issues (bar the Marauder, Camel and Typhoon) are from kits tooled in the last ten years or so. 

Colin

Exactly!! I too love a lot of the decal changes to past new tools. Glad I cancelled my 48th Sea Fury as I was going to do an export one in RCN colours anyway. This will save me from buying afternarket decals. The same goes for the Mitchell I cancelled that too! A sort of premonition as again an inspired decal change and options. Love the Sea King revised markings, the Vampire, Gnat which includes an idea for the Film TV related GB ... RAF Phantom. That was bound to happen but nice too. What about the ME262 two seater; surely that counts as a partial new tool with new fuselage!!!   But a 48th Hunter.... wow that surely has to be a winner! Now what we REALLY need is for it to be scaled to 1/72nd!!!  

Overral for me, I am happy as I won't have to spend too much on new tools with decals that I don't really want.  

Now. Is the Camel going to be a surprise new tool...????  Will the 48th P-51 have new prop for the F-51 and louvred grill for the Mk.IV??   I  Will have to re order those I cancelled in light of the more (for me) interesting markings.   This may well include (not being a WW2 fLuftwaffe fan) the two seater ME262 'cos I like it more than the single.  The Tiger Moth is bound to come my way too. Virtually all those announced appeal to me a lot more than last year.

But I feel for those that don't do aircraft... they seem to be left out again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

It looks like the Victor is also being re-boxed as an SR. 2 (look at the thumbnail for XL193).

Very good spot! I have (like most I guess) a Revell kit and assorted AM put away for an SR.2 build 'in the future'. This could be a much less painful way of getting there!

Edge

So now we know, which is nice :) I'm happy about the kits being 1:48, as I model in 1:48.  Last year was a bit of a let-down for 1:48, so it's swings and roundabouts from my POV.  They're doing 3 kits I'm interested in too, which is also nice.  Not much point moaning anyway, as one voice on a forum that Airfix probably hardly visit isn't going to make much of a difference to their output.  I guess I'm just weird in accepting what companies release and not subscribing to all these "I'd really like...." threads :shrug:

• Like 7

5 hours in & negativity level already approaching critical, even before we find out how many are completely unbuildable or .005 of a mm out on length/span/insert your own perceived error, you've got to love Britmodellers. If you take out catalogues, quick builds & soldier packs there are still 27 new releases with a very definite pro British bias in both subjects & marking options. Whats the problem with re-releasing last years kits with new marking options, it seems to be a very viable business model, (see Hasegawa) surely anything which increases Airfiix's survival prospects should be encouraged. I think it is a very good release schedule, there are certainly enough subjects there to interest me & more importantly more than I could afford to buy or find the time to build, well done & thank you Airfix, keep it up & ignore the naysayers. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

By the way. People who are complaining about only two new tool releases forget that the Welly and Blenheim were announce in 2017 for 2018!!! So with the Hunter and revised NE262 that makes at least four new tools!! And not forgetting the Sea Fury in 48th and B-25 that adds to the new tools for 2018 does it not??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ratch said:

If you follow my link you will see it was a MkIF (Fighter)

Apologies I thought they had announced it as a bomber

55 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well spotted Phil.. didn't notice that. 

This should help with those wanting something other than an F.6. as the FGA.9 offers many more camouflage options and export opportunities. 

Cheers.. Dave  

The FGA.9 certainly offers more schemes due to all of those exports, in terms of RAF schemes, the F.6 covers most of those and probably, at a push, the most markings variation (sqn's and other units).

I'm very happy to see this kit, I for one have long been an advocate for Airfix to give us a Billy Bunter!

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

My kit is in the old classic Series 4 box and that box is definitely jam packed!  The panel lines are very fine raised lines but the access panels are engraved. The interior detail is superb for a 70s era kit and wouldn't look out of place on a modern one. There is a full bomb bay and undercarriage bays. The cockpit isn't bad but could do with a bit of extra detail.  I don't think the younger enthusiasts that Airfix are aiming for will mind too much. Anyway, I imagine Airfix will spruce the cockpit up with decals for instument panels and seatbelts. That would look quite good.  My 70s era kit is in that horrid very brittle grey plastc that Airfix used to use. It will be far better using their current plastic type.

And let's face it, it's about half the price of the only other freely available competitor.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, spaddad said:

you've got to love Britmodellers

Compared to the whining on Facebook, this is nothing :D.

I expected the Phantom FGR.2, am very happy with the Hunter F.6, Meteor FR.9, Victor K.2 and Mustang Mk.IV. Considering my completion rate, I expect to be busy for several years now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Phantom Phil said:

You're right.  One of the profiles shows a chute housing, the others don't.

1/48 is not my scale for jets, but I'll be buying one of these. :thumbsup:

I won't be buying the Spitfire 22/24. but that's because I have half a dozen in The Stash.  I can't recommend the kit highly enough, however. It was the absolute best of the original Airfix kits. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Now. Is the Camel going to be a surprise new tool...????  Will the 48th P-51 have new prop for the F-51 and louvred grill for the Mk.IV??

The current kit already has the louvred grill as a pair of optional inset pieces.

I only buy 1/72 but I'm happy that Airfix continue so I gladly take what they offer.

The Welly is a hit anyways, the Mitchell Mk,II was expected and will sell well.

The re-releases with new decals are very welcome too ...

So nothing to complain here at all

• Like 1

Has the AEW Shack hit the shops yet? If not, then that is a nother new/ revised tool for 2018. An the Royal Navy Phantom... that has only just been released so thats another new tool for 2018..  despite being announced for 2

AIRFIX, SCHMAIRFIX!!!

It's all wrong...wrong kits reissued, wrong new kits announced, wrong markings on all of them.......and there's not enough rivets.

Cat put amongst pigeons and tiptoes slowly away.........:D

Edited by McYellowbelly
  • Haha 3