Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

So, that's it then? The "Big" announcement is a Hunter (very welcome of course) and, yet another Spitfire (not illustrated). Sorry folks but, I think it is all a bit underwhelming after the feeding frenzy!! That said, the reissues are welcome - especially the B-26 and Meteor FR 9.  Overall, neither surprised nor disappointed - there are enough items there to keep me happy even in the total lack of anything else new tool  (other than the Wellington) in the one true (1/72) scale!

Allan

ps - Before anybody asks, I WILL be getting the Hunter!!:lol:

Edited by Albeback52
  • Confused 1

And it loooks as if the first lot of Phantoms has sold out already - mine didnt arrive that was on pre-order with air miles.....I mean flying hours:(

Pre-Order

New Tool

£24.99

Item Code: A06016

Expected: February 2018

22 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I'm pleased to see the B-26 back. Always liked that kit, so a couple of those for the stash please!

I've just bought one to use for the Airfix Golden Years GB.  Yes, it's that old. :)   But it is a very nice kit.  Even better with decent decals.

Even if there's little that is genuinely new, Airfix is still going to make a small fortune off me!

I am amused to see the detail given for one of the new Hunter options: XF418 4FTS Bawdy

No wonder it was a popular posting!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What tha'..... I swear it was there, all I did was copy and paste??  

I saw it too Dave! You weren't imagining it!!:lol:

Allan

21 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Am I reading it correctly, only 3 New Tool Kits, all in 48th, a Sea Fury (really 2017), a Hunter, and a Bleniem 1F

you forget the 1/72 Wellington

Nice looking Dakota. The 1/48 F.6 Hunter means an FGA.9 in 2019. Why not put the parts for both versions in one box and release a T.7 trainer version separately next year? 

Hope the Victor K.2 might offer an SR.2 recce pallet, the way the FGR.2 kit features the EMI c/l recce pod, 

Nice line-up overall. I would have loved to see that Spitty 22/24 in 1/24 scale. 

Wish you all the best Airfix.

Edited by tony.t
to edit
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, noelh said:

Well some people got their wish 1/48 Hunter and Blenheim.

... and a Victor K.2 and a Phantom FGR.2 and a Wellington 1c... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've just bought one to use for the Airfix Golden Years GB.  Yes, it's that old. :)   But it is a very nice kit.  Even better with decent decals.

Don't moan about the age of the B-26, the Camel in that RAF set is so old it comes with a pension book.

• Haha 3

For those so disposed .....

I have started an Airfix 2019 thread............................................. well it seemed rude not to.  :rofl:

Dick

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The Sea Fury is a modified tooling from the one that was due last year (and is now due in Feb) they have sequential kit numbers 06105 & 06106.

I suspect the Spit XIV will be the first in the Airfix 2019 thread

I think Airfix are to be applauded for some really nice decal options on the re-issues (French and Irish Walrus, RAF Post-War Dakota, Big Hairy Bird Marauder). Not much new? What do you expect, times are tough you know! Interest to note that all the re-issues (bar the Marauder, Camel and Typhoon) are from kits tooled in the last ten years or so. 

Colin

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, stever219 said:

It looks like the Victor is also being re-boxed as an SR. 2 (look at the thumbnail for XL193).

Anyone seen a release schedule? I notice there is the box art for the Victor K.2 which suggests release is imminent / soonish...

Edit - ah I see its down for September.

Rich

Edited by RichG

1 minute ago, RichG said:

Anyone seen a release schedule? I notice there is the box art for the Victor K.2 which suggests release is imminent / soonish...

Rich

September 2018 for the K.2 Victor - these are all listed on the Airfix website. Just click on the chosen model. 

Cheers.. Dave 

For this I woke up early???  Actually, I'm thrilled to bits about the new Hunter. We can guess that there will be an FGA.9 release to follow but will they also accommodate the earlier versions; time will tell. Obviously, there's a Spit XIV coming in 2019. 

I can't believe that they are re-releasing the Eurofighter Typhoon and the ancient Sopwith Camel 2F1. This is a step backwards for the brand.

I'll be happy to get the Victor K.2, Phantom FGR.2, Wellington Ic, Meteor FR.9, 1/48 Blenheim IF, Walrus variant, and the export Sea Fury. The Sea King HAR.3 rebox looks sharp as well.

It's pretty clear that the new tool program has been impacted by Hornby's continuing financial woes, so let's hope the company turns the corner in 2018 and we see a more expansive release program in the following years.

Now where are my coffee and donuts...

• Like 3

My wife is happy as there will not be any red boxes coming through the door. It means l can spend more money on he NF Meteors from Special Hobby.

Robert

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

I think Airfix are to be applauded for some really nice decal options on the re-issues (French and Irish Walrus, RAF Post-War Dakota, Big Hairy Bird Marauder). Not much new? What do you expect, times are tough you know! Interest to note that all the re-issues (bar the Marauder, Camel and Typhoon) are from kits tooled in the last ten years or so. 

Colin

It's almost like we're meant to have 30-40 new tools every year! How dare Airfix not meet our needs. :lol:

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

I think the RAF Centenary set is actually a pretty poor way of celebrating the event. A Sopwith Camel  (1957 issue - it's older than me!!). A rather poor Typhoon (1990 vintage) and only the Spitfire 1A as a new/recent item. Sorry Airfix. This really is a backward step in my view. The Spitfire is the only kit worth having out of the three.

Allan

• Thanks 1

OK - Time to take a breather and do some swift analysing. 

Overall, I think this is fairly positive news from Airfix and can now see why there was no grand Telford announcement as there would not have been anything to unveil today.

It's been well documented that times at Hornby Co. have been pretty tough of late. By the time we all build these three new 2018 tools, the 2019 announcements won't be that far off. 

- The jewels are obviously the 1/48 Hunter, Blenheim and 1/72 Wimpy.

- Good sales will be generated from the FGR.2 Phantom, Victor K.2 and Mustang IV.

- Knowing that an RAF Mitchell II and Export Sea Fury will be released in 2018 will only hamper sales of these yet to be released 2017 announced kits - should have waited for 2019 I think.

- The Series 1 Gnat & Tiger Moth have now crept up to Series 2??  

- The Marauder makes a welcome appearance. If sales are good this may result in other older tools being released in 2019 - Beaver & Basset perhaps    

- Nice to see the Sea King HAR.3 released without having to pay for Starter kit prices (I assume it'll be cheaper?)

- We finally have accurate early font 'S' for Sugar codes to place on the new tool Lanc (shame it won't make the RAF 100 GB).

- Looks like Adam Tooby has been busy plying his excellent craft, which should generate even further sales. 

..... and as I was the one who quoted the Spit XIV gaff, surely I should get first dibs to test build this kit in 2019?? 

Cheers (and thanks Airfix).. Dave 

• Like 1