Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

6 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

So nothing in 1/72!!!!!!

just 'new version of many other recent moulds"

and I stayed up until 2 AM for that!

groan

Other than the Phantom FGR2.

Yes, not really much for 1/72 modellers, but I like some of the decal choices for the many reboxes. The Gnat gets what IMHO is a better scheme than the original one, markings for the Hawk look good and I like the Sea King and Lightning too. I hate the SHAR FA.2 kit but markings for 899 NAS 25th bird are cool.

Then there are two new variants, the Phantom FGR.2 and the Victor tanker. Ok, not really new moulds but at least there's something, the Phantom in particular should be popular considering how many modellers asked about converting the recent FG.1 into an FGR.2 :D

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 5

A new 48th Hunter is probably needed and a bit puzzled by comment on Spitfire as can only see 22/24 in list. Is it on the Workbench page.  A cheap year for me, can hold off on Mitchell till RAF one appears as that is the one I want and will probably get the FGR2. Nice to see Lancaster boxed as earlier bomber and the Victor K2, explains the clear wingtip amongst other things. 8ntetesting they bought the soldiers back, thought they had given up on that sort of thing. 

2 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Yes, not really much for 1/72 modellers, but I like some of the decal choices for the many reboxes. The Gnat gets what IMHO is a better scheme than the original one, markings for the Hawk look good and I like the Sea King and Lightning too.

Then there are two new variants, the Phantom FGR.2 and the Victor tanker. Ok, not really new moulds but at least there's something, the Phantom in particular should be popular considering how many modellers asked about converting the recent FG.1 into an FGR.2 :D

If they do the cockpit modifications as well it should sell even better than the -1. I know of one guy who ordered a carton of FG.1s he was thinking of 3 if the FGR.2 came out. He's a bit single minded.

I think the better schemes will attract casual buyers, that will finance whatever the design team get up to this year. I doubt they'll be idle...

I don't think I am alone in that I could do with reducing my stash through building the kits rather than continually adding to it, so the lack of new tool 1/72 kits may be a blessing. That said, the Gnat, Wellington, Phantom and Mitchell will no doubt be winging their way to me in due course!

• Like 1

Does anyone else spot the error? 

Welcome to the Airfix 2018 Range!

2018 is another exciting year for Airfix, with dozens of new releases over the coming year! In the range you’ll find gems like the Blenheim Mk.1F and Hawker Hunter F6 in fantastic 1:48 scale, as well as the long-awaited Spitfire Mk.XIV in the same quarter scale.

For our 1:72 scale fans there’s just as exciting news, with the wonderful new Wellington Mk.IC, Phantom FG.1 and new versions of many other recent new moulds. 2018 is another great year for plastic modelling!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Very disappointing. Not a single small new tool. 

Considering airfix new target market is the youth market apparently as discussed a few pages back then maybe a few affordable series 1 new tools would be better than a wellington at £31 which will be unaffordable to most youngsters and some of us old un's .

• Like 2

Oh Smeg.

The Spitfire XIV has been edited out of the introduction.....

2018 is another exciting year for Airfix, with dozens of new releases over the coming year! In the range you’ll find gems like the Blenheim Mk.1F and Hawker Hunter F6 in fantastic 1:48 scale plus lots more...

For our 1:72 scale fans there’s just as exciting news, with the wonderful new Wellington Mk.IC, Phantom FG.1 and new versions of many other recent new moulds. 2018 is another great year for plastic modelling!

12 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Am I reading it correctly, only 3 New Tool Kits, all in 48th, a Sea Fury (really 2017), a Hunter, and a Bleniem 1F

Yes, but only if we ignore the 1/72 Vickers Wellington 1c... already announced?:thumbsup:

Rich

Edited by RichG

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone else spot the error? 

2018 is another exciting year for Airfix, with dozens of new releases over the coming year! In the range you’ll find gems like the Blenheim Mk.1F and Hawker Hunter F6 in fantastic 1:48 scale, as well as the long-awaited Spitfire Mk.XIV in the same quarter scale.

Yes I saw that, then it disappeared...... maybe it's something they let slip

15 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Am I reading it correctly, only 3 New Tool Kits, all in 48th, a Sea Fury (really 2017), a Hunter, and a Bleniem 1F

Wellington 1c in 1/72 is a new tool as well (this was announced in workbench last year - 50th edition on 23/6/17) along with the Hunter, Blenheim (announced in workbench 13/10/17) the Fury is a hangover from 2017.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the F.22/24 Spitfire - if they do the markings as noted. I was in the Air Training Corps in my youthful days and my squadron was 80 (Bolton) Sqn ATC and we adopted as our squadron crest, the bell crest from 80 Squadron RAF so we had a long association with the squadron (my squadron was form in 1940, and was one of the oldest squadrons in the country).

Edited by treker_ed

1 minute ago, SleeperService said:

Oh Smeg.

The Spitfire XIV has been edited out of the introduction.....

What tha'..... I swear it was there, all I did was copy and paste??  

I know I'm banging on about the B-26, but.....anyone seen the new Adam Tooby artwork for that kit? It's gorgeous! I always liked the original Roy Cross version, but this one is way up there.

Just now, Dennis_C said:

well... 1/72 twin-seat Me262, Phantom FGR.2, Wellington - that is what I think I'm taking.

Is that B-26 going to be a 1970s kit? - Yes :(

Also RAF centenary kit contains 1/72 Camel. Is it a new tool? - No :fraidnot:

The Hunter release is great news and surely has to be keeping many modelers happy, there were whole threads on the forum as to why there wasn't one!

The Meteor FR.9 is welcome for me.

Really nice schemes chosen for the Phantom FGR.2 and nice to see a camo TWU scheme for the Hawk.

The new Victor K.2 boxing has options for the SR.2 as well.

Is the Camel a new mold?  I can't find much on it.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

I don't think I am alone in that I could do with reducing my stash through building the kits rather than continually adding to it, so the lack of new tool 1/72 kits may be a blessing. That said, the Gnat, Wellington, Phantom and Mitchell will no doubt be winging their way to me in due course!

well, when i say 'build' i mean:

Buy

Unpack

Inspect occasionally 

Lie dormant in stash

Discard online at a later date 

:-D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

The Hunter in 1/48 was to be expected at some point but I don't understand why Airfix aren't making more use of all that previous research and CAD work and do more upscaling/downscaling on the aviation line.