Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

If you can set aside all but the one true scale for a short while .... Which kits put out by Frog have not been redone in a better format yet?

If the marketing has already been done, and kits were released by Frog, would not their list be something to reconsider.... IMHO underlined would sell well

B Shark, Me410, Boston/Havoc, Magister, Skua/Roc, Meteor 8, Beaufort, Mig-17, P-80, Firefly, Hart, Sea Venom, Martin167/Maryland/Baltimore etc, Sea Vixen, P-47Razor, Hornet (prop), early Hunter (ok late to), Javelin, Venom, Oxford, Attacker, Lysander

And done by others better but still plenty of room for improvement (or way cheaper) ....  Tempest V, Barracuda, SSeat Vampire, F-94,

Heck why not a T-Bird or as a re-release Tiger Moth as Thunderbird 6.

PM

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

If you can set aside all but the one true scale for a short while .... Which kits put out by Frog have not been redone in a better format yet?

If the marketing has already been done, and kits were released by Frog, would not their list be something to reconsider.... IMHO underlined would sell well

B Shark, Me410, Boston/Havoc, Magister, Skua/Roc, Meteor 8, Beaufort, Mig-17, P-80, Firefly, Hart, Sea Venom, Martin167/Maryland/Baltimore etc, Sea Vixen, P-47Razor, Hornet (prop), early Hunter (ok late to), Javelin, Venom, Oxford, Attacker, Lysander

And done by others better but still plenty of room for improvement (or way cheaper) ....  Tempest V, Barracuda, SSeat Vampire, F-94,

PM

Venom and Javelin are particular on this list as they were not released even as a short runs in several decades.
MiG-17 is probably next to them as some kits are there but nothing really good even as a short run. And MiG-17 is not Airfix's area of interest. 

Just over a hour and a half to go and this thread is heading for the final straight.............

1/24 Spitfire is in the lead followed by 1/48 Lancaster followed by 1/48 Hunter , 1/24 Camel is making good progress on the outside as is 1/48 Phantom, and last in the field is the Balliol (sorry Trevor)

This is going to be a close race.................

Dick AKA David Coleman 

12 minutes ago, jenko said:

Just over a hour and a half to go and this thread is heading for the final straight.............

1/24 Spitfire is in the lead followed by 1/48 Lancaster followed by 1/48 Hunter , 1/24 Camel is making good progress on the outside as is 1/48 Phantom, and last in the field is the Balliol (sorry Trevor)

This is going to be a close race.................

Dick AKA David Coleman 

The 1/72 Vulcan has made a late run and is closing in on the front pack. whilst the 1/48 Hampden has had to retire and the 1/72 Hercules has made significant progress in the last lap.

• Like 1

The 1/48 Tiger Moth is in a bit of a flap and has started it's run(?) from the back, the VC 10 is showing much promise from the inside of the pack.

Over to you Tricky 

47 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

PM

Me.410 Italeri

Boston/Havoc Special Hobby, reboxed by Revell (not all variants though)

Skua/Roc Special Hobby

Meteor 8 Special Hobby, reboxed by the same Airfix in the past

MiG-17... long story of missed opportunities but there are several kits out there

Firefly Special Hobby

Maryland and Baltimore Special Hobby

Sea VIxen MPM and Cyberhobby (ok, they may be not accurate but are better than the Frog kit)

P-47 Tamiya

No early Hunter, but for late ones the Revell is hard to beat

Hornet Special Hobby

Attacker AZ

Oxford AZ

Granted, most of these have been done better by short run manufacturers and not mainstream, the point is why was it that these manufacturers went through Frog's old catalogue and companies like Airfix and Revell didn't ? Maybe the reason is simply that the numbers that these subjects attract are right for some companies and not for others. If say a DH Hornet only guarantees 3-5,000 pieces, there's no margin for a mainstream manufacturer but it's a great subject for a short run manufacturer.

Here's the problem, we believe that certain subjects would sell well but do they ? Airfix sure will know as they issued a Swift, I'm sure that they'll have taken notice of whatever numbers this guaranteed before thinking of a new relatively obscure '50s jet, if this sold well enough they will make more, if this didn't they will not.

If I had a choice there are only a few kits I'd touch on that list:

A P-47D first and foremost ! Yes, Tamiya have both variants and they are fantastic kits. Even an inferior Airfix kit however would have a good market.

Maybe a Meteor, they already did research on the 1/48 kit so why not

Same for the Sea Vixen but if this has not appeared yet I don't know if it will ever do...

Maybe a Boston III, would fit with the B-25

Maybe the Hunter, although if I were Airfix I'd probably go 1/48 for this (and I say this against my interest as I'm a 1/72 man... still Revell is reissuing their gem so I'm happy enough for 2018). Actually a 1/48 Hunter is something I would do at some point, would fit well with the Meteor and the Javelin

With an hour to go, the 1/24 Spitfire is the lead by a length from the 1/24 Gladiator, there have been more casualties, the 1/48 Scimitar has pulled up, the 1/72 Beaufort has got lost, and the 1/48 Phantom has stalled. But the 1/48 Seaking is hovering above the leading pack.

Dick's turn

7 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Me.410 Italeri

Boston/Havoc Special Hobby, reboxed by Revell (not all variants though)

Skua/Roc Special Hobby

Meteor 8 Special Hobby, reboxed by the same Airfix in the past

MiG-17... long story of missed opportunities but there are several kits out there

Firefly Special Hobby

Maryland and Baltimore Special Hobby

Sea VIxen MPM and Cyberhobby (ok, they may be not accurate but are better than the Frog kit)

P-47 Tamiya

No early Hunter, but for late ones the Revell is hard to beat

Hornet Special Hobby

Attacker AZ

Oxford AZ

Venom and Javelin in 1/72 are still missing from that list. And I believe both can be a good marketing choice too. Especially Venom  FB.1/4 with its long operational usage history...

With only one hour to go I have no idea of what they may or not announce. I may throw in a last bet on some more WW2 classics, like a P-47 or an Fw.190D or why not a Tempest. They may do more bombers from the era, a Wellington may be a good candidate.

If they go for more 1/48 cold war types then the Hunter would be a good choice.

New variants of existing tools may also be expected, a 1/72 Phantom FGR.2 is clearly coming at some point so could be announced today

Then there's the big announcement, 1/24 Spitfire or new tool 1/72 Vulcan make sense, with the Spit leading by a wide margin

Still there's something I'd like to see that is not exotic at all and that's a new tool Mosquito ! Yes, Tamiya have one and the old Airfix isn't that bad, but I feel that there would be room for a new one with parts for different variants (not necessarily in the same box). It's a classic that is guaranteed to sell well. Guess a lot depends on how much life Airfix think their old tool still has.

Then there would be a couple of subjects that were available for a long time as part of gift sets, the F-5E and the Mirage III... but I don't expect Airfix to look at these anytime soon, and I'm afraid they never will

5 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Venom and Javelin in 1/72 are still missing from that list. And I believe both can be a good marketing choice too. Especially Venom  FB.1/4 with its long operational usage history...

The problem with the Venom is that while the type sure had a long operational usage (and saw more combat than other better served types), most of this use is quite obscure and only enthusiasts like us really know much about this.

If combat use was a key aspect in choosing a subject, we'd have many more kits of types like the F-5 series, the Mirage III and F-1 and the Canberra

Said that, I'd be happy myself with a new Venom, I have the Aeroclub kit and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to build it. I wouldn't be surprised though if Airfix released a 1/48 kit of this more than a 1/72 one

Edited by Giorgio N

Having just delved into the kids inheritance to fund my S & M Canberra (I’m not complaining though), I just can’t see Airfix coming out with one in the near future.

The Venom is still a distant possibility, however I’d say they’ll tackle more prominent types like the Hunter, NF Meteor and Javelin before the poor Venom even gets a look in.. sad but true. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Just looked on the Airfix Site, there is only 2 1/24 kits available, Typhoon and Mustang

Cant belive they don't have the 1/24 Spit on there

So that's where my money goes - new 1/24 Spit Mk 9?

29 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

With an hour to go, the 1/24 Spitfire is the lead by a length from the 1/24 Gladiator, there have been more casualties, the 1/48 Scimitar has pulled up, the 1/72 Beaufort has got lost, and the 1/48 Phantom has stalled. But the 1/48 Seaking is hovering above the leading pack.

Dick's turn

Where's the Airfix showjumper then ? ☺

3 minutes ago, Neil Lambess said:

Where's the Airfix showjumper then ? ☺

C'mon Neill, it's an Air Race, not a Horse Race.... is the Rugby and Sheep Dog trials still on the Tele down there? 

• Haha 1

Now at 25 minutes to go. The big question now is whether over on the east Coast of the US is a BM regular engaged in a fight for his life? If so a 1:1 donut should be included...

Following frantic discussions in Strasborg Airfix representatives are seen leaving with smiles on their faces. 1/48 Lanc with Post-War French markings agreed?

• Haha 3

Sorry about the interlude...had to take the wife swimming...........

Now where were we.............yes

In this neck to neck race it will be any ones guess who wins ...taking up the lead is the 1/48 Lancaster , with the Spitfire in hot pursuit , the Balliol is making good ground and could be a late finisher.................... bad news the Balliol's wheels have collapsed so it's out of the race.................... wait what's this........................ the Hunter (2 seat) is making it's final run.

Over to you Tricky

1 minute ago, SleeperService said:

What's the odds on Airfix's site crashing about 10:00??

100% guarantied :analintruder:

• Haha 1