Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

1 hour ago, spoondog13 said:

A pair of Blue Tits would be nice!

I was going to say something, then thought better not. :devil: :analintruder:

The  most iconic aircraft of the RAF from any era is the Spitfire...( sorry guys but it is )  Farnborough Air show came to a halt when it displayed there......

My prediction  ............................................................................1/24 Spitfire MkIX

Mystic Dick

Edited by jenko
bad puctuation

1 hour ago, jenko said:

I was going to say something, then thought better not. :devil: :analintruder:

The  most iconic aircraft of the RAF from any era is the Spitfire...( sorry guys but it is )  Farnborough Air show came to a halt when it displayed there......

My prediction  ............................................................................1/24 Spitfire MkIX

Mystic Dick

So why was it not announced at Telford?  The same goes for anything else in 1/24

2 minutes ago, Denford said:

So why was it not announced at Telford?  The same goes for anything else in 1/24

I think they were planning a big telford reveal until the cyclone intervened and meant the toolings for the phantom, sea fury and b-25 had to be resorted out, and with limited resources they didn't have the time to get the various bits in place. 

15 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I think they were planning a big telford reveal until the cyclone intervened and meant the toolings for the phantom, sea fury and b-25 had to be resorted out, and with limited resources they didn't have the time to get the various bits in place. 

Sorry, but find that hard to believe.  Something as 'big' as a new 1/24 (3+ years in the making) would have taken precedence over 'known' subjects.  Though Airfix might be 'small' others in HH could surely have helped.

Well we've have a 1/72 WW2 twin and a 1/48 WW2 twin announced - I think its smart money to suggest a single engined jet might be next- a Hunter is a good shout especially as Revell are about to re-release theirs (think Shackleton.... :) !)

A 24th scale Spit IX may make a lot of sense on the basis that the Typhoon did well - however a low back XVI then a high back XVI as two boxings would echo the car door/bubbletop Tiffie releases - but I guess if you're doing an XVI why not start with a IX - I doubt there would be much point in doing a MK1 or V as they already have that covered albeit they are old kits....

Final predictions:

1/48 F-51 (revised tool)

1/72 Provost V (revised tool)

1/72 Phantom FGR2 (revised tool)

1/72 Victor K.2 (revised tool)

1/72 Me262 twin tub

100 years of the RAF Gift Set - Camel, Spitfire....Hunter....and?? Eurofighter??

1/72 Hawker Hunter F?

1/72 Sopwith Camel

And frankly just because they really need to just DO IT

1/72 Avro Vulcan

TT

• Like 1

Did Airfix in the past ever issue a Camel?

If so, and assuming the tool is still 'useable' then could still be included in '100 years of RAF' Gift Set. 

Never mind if he quality is no longer of current standard: after all the original 50's Mosquito was included in the Me 262 \ Mosquito Dog Fight Doubles

The Eurofighter?  Well there's nothing to stop them including some one else's Eurofighter at a price.

The set will surely not be aimed at BM readership, but at those who buy through Amazon, Argos, Toys are Us and see it as a suitable gift for little Johnny.

8 minutes ago, Denford said:

Did Airfix in the past ever issue a Camel?

If so, and assuming the tool is still 'useable' then could still be included in '100 years of RAF' Gift Set. 

Never mind if he quality is no longer of current standard: after all the original 50's Mosquito was included in the Me 262 \ Mosquito Dog Fight Doubles

The Eurofighter?  Well there's nothing to stop them including some one else's Eurofighter at a price.

The set will surely not be aimed at BM readership, but at those who buy through Amazon, Argos, Toys are Us and see it as a suitable gift for little Johnny.

They did a 2F1 ships' Camel in the 50s as part of their IWM set of RE8, F2B and Camel (It took them another 60 years to complete it with the Be2!). The illustration in the Calendar shows a 2F1, but appears to be wearing F1 (RFC) markings.

The Me262/Mosquito DD was 45 years ago, so hardly indicative of current practice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sniperUK said:

They wanted to concentrate on the three they had ready to display at Telford and not distract from them.

Sorry, can't see the logic.

A 1/24 Spitfire, costing over £100 and 3+ years in the making mustn't be allowed to 'steal the thunder' from 3 smaller subjects 2 of which have been known for a year, and one for around 6 months....

Previous Telford announcements (Typhoon, Phantom and others) have never suffered from such restrictions!

A little academic really as I can't see that in HH's current situation such a costly long-term project would have been given the 'go ahead'

As I've posted before, expect very little truly new.  Re-issues of older kits, perhaps overdue 2108 kits (I think the Sea Fury was due Sept), Starter Sets, Dogfight doubles, and maybe 100 years of RAF (see separate post) set aimed at 'toy buyers'.  The Camel wasn't the RAF's first fighter so maybe the Tornado can represent 'present day' (not sure if it's still in service).

Like I said, aimed at 'Toy Buyers' not BM readers.

Hope I'm wrong in what is truly new....

• Like 1

I don't know why Airfix didn't release any new tool info at Telford, but they seem to have changed how they release this info.

We only had 2 new tool releases on the Workbench blog and 1 was probably only done as it was an anniversary issue.

They even dumped the Advent calendar and don't seem to show any teasers on facebook anymore

It looks like they are heading back to the one announcement a year, which will be next Tuesday.

It would align with other Hornby info releases, as they are due next week as well (Trains and Scalextric). I also wonder whether they are trying to reduce the risk of other manufacturers beating them to release.

What will be revealed only Airfix know, but we can speculate

A while ago I think Flypast surveyed their readers on the top 10 RAF Aircraft, I cant recall what was included, but I would guess the special new tool announcement would have been in that top 10.

In 4 days we will know, unless a typhoon takes down the Airfix Website

46 minutes ago, Denford said:

Re-issues of older kits, perhaps overdue 2108 kits

Someone at Airfix must be confident if they are planning that far ahead!

Any predictions for 2108 anyone - 1/12 personal jet pack - got to be by then surely? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Someone at Airfix must be confident if they are planning that far ahead!

Any predictions for 2108 anyone - 1/12 personal jet pack - got to be by then surely? 

Hover trousers (probably with elasticated waist and tena lining for me by then) 

• Haha 6

2108.......................... Airfix announce a 1/24 Balliol and Sea Balliol..................... :o

Trevor  in retirement was speechless  :pipe:

But he had kept the faith. :D

:yahoo:

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Plasto said:

No the numbers nor the channel to market are not that surprising. Hornby exist to sell product.

I was a bit surprised that the 'non enthusiast' channel was as big in the UK as it is.  I guess unsurprisingly you get a tinted view on model forums that Airfix are striving to please the enthusiast and we're the sole focus of their working day. When the numbers would suggest that 'Aunt Mable' buying a starter set for a Birthday prezzie or WHY is a more vital part of the business mix.  

They reckon us serious modellers make up only 15% of their market

Thats an interesting statistic Ratch. Where does it come from??

If its correct then you could understand Hornby placing less emphasis on Marketing activities such as 'Advent Calendars' and 'Telford Releases' when this costs some Marketing time to do which has an actual cost and has relatively little impact on your actual sales channel. 

It'll be an interesting year for Hornby. New CEO, Christmas Trading figures in, attempt to raise equity via a share offer played out. Perhaps a new deal with the bank struck. A refocus on core business activities. Shareholders to appease..

They need to sell lots of stuff at a reasonable margin to keep going. If your market Statistic is correct  ( which the 2017 annual report hints at) that stuff needs not to appeal to us so much a 'joe public'.

28 minutes ago, Plasto said:

They need to sell lots of stuff at a reasonable margin to keep going. If your market Statistic is correct  ( which the 2017 annual report hints at) that stuff needs not to appeal to us so much a 'joe public'.

Agree totally but remember that some of Joe and Joan Public become enthusiasts as a result of good experiences. Lots of entry level kits is OK but after a few customers will be looking for something a bit more engaging. They then look to the kits that have been marketed for us.

Big issue in my experience is still Humbrol paints. A friend runs model classes for his school, since using car rattle cans for primer and Revell enamel he's been getting a lot better feedback from his students. So much so in fact that he's just started a second group. You can be sure that at least one of them will be making their own toys in years to come...and it won't be entry level kits either.

• Like 1

When you look at the Actual Airfix Range. There is plenty to keep most modellers occupied at a lot of different levels and abilities. Once someone makes a move into the realm of enthusiast then they will have a whole world of kits from a multitude of manufacturers available to them.  You also become much more discerning and likely more critical of things a casual builder may not notice or care about. 

The Team at Hornby/ Airfix balances the needs of enthusiasts and casual model builders really well. Its just for every enthusiast targeted release you need to have a cash generating release that appeals to the casual builder. The 'sweet spot' of course is a release that both groups want and see 'value' in. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, chris57 said:

Come on Paul, you know you can do better than that. A bit more effort required then you could rival Enid Blyton:penguin:

Sorry Chris :crying: but I read all the 'secret seven' years ago! Find I prefer Winnie, hence i'm here............................:whistle::wicked:

7 hours ago, Denford said:

Because the new M.D. has spoken.

The Airfix 'way' HAS changed. There will no longer need to be a Telford announcement, as they wil be made the new year.

Also, Airfix new kits will be announced as a rolling program, when they have something to announce.

Airfix, as a division of Hornby is trading 'in the black', Hornby and Scalextric are both doing well,

but if one division 'goes' the whole lot goes down like the proverbial 'deck of cards'.

More attention should have been paid to the details of incorporation, and the staff listened to more............

"Plan for the best, but, expect the worse"

Normal service is now resumed...................

Come on guys, get a crack on, 3 days, 12 hours and 25 minutes to fill 30 MORE pages, GET scribbling!

Paul

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Sorry Chris :crying: but I read all the 'secret seven' years ago! Find I prefer Winnie, hence i'm here............................:whistle::wicked:

Because the new M.D. has spoken.

The Airfix 'way' HAS changed. There will no longer need to be a Telford announcement, as they wil be made the new year.

Also, Airfix new kits will be announced as a rolling program, when they have something to announce.

Airfix, as a division of Hornby is trading 'in the black', Hornby and Scalextric are both doing well,

but if one division 'goes' the whole lot goes down like the proverbial 'deck of cards'.

More attention should have been paid to the details of incorporation, and the staff listened to more............

"Plan for the best, but, expect the worse"

Normal service is now resumed...................

Come on guys, get a crack on, 3 days, 12 hours and 25 minutes to fill 30 MORE pages, GET scribbling!

Paul

Yes: it does seem if the way Airfix make announcements has changed.  I guess the only requirement now is that anything 'of substance' ie not just a photo, be in time for the Nuremberg Toy Fair - end Jan.  And since as even the smallest subject takes at least a year to tool if there's nothing of substance to show then it won't be released in the current year.

Does anyone know how other parts of HH used to make their announcements and has this in any way changed?  Is it perhaps that Airfix is being brought into line with the rest of HH?

5 hours ago, Ratch said:

They reckon us serious modellers make up only 15% of their market

If we serious modellers make up only 15% of their market, why are all of their new releases designed so that the can only be built by serious modellers?

Steve

• Like 3

As is said, we make upto 15% of the market.  Airfix are not interested in what the serious builders can build, they are only interested in what sells, they are not interested in whether a young kid can build a difficult kit.  When I was very young, what inspired me to buy kits was the artwork on the box, if it look exciting(Roy cross has a lot to answer to), then, I had to have it, I wanted to build it. 

I doubt very much if any of the Airfix board are modellers(or railway modellers)but businness men, if the packaging looks good enough to entice the public to buy it, that will do for them, its all about pounds, shillings and pence at the end of the day - all the board is interested in, is just get the money, dress the goods up in attractive packaging and they hope it will sell.  Thats the way I see it, not imminent anniversaries, not popularity of aircraft...........I imagine that the board is presented with various artists impressions of action scenes, be it aircraft, or whatever, beauty is in the eye of the beholder(or board)if the art work looks inspiring enough to stir the board, then its voted on, irrespective of what type of aircraft is in that picture, packaging sells, not what appears to be popular at that moment in time, or top of the modellers polls.  All down to marketing, not choice or demand, just plain and simple art work submitted to the board.  To be honest with you, a lot of my purchases over the years has been through artwork(I may have found the kit may have been crap - but the picture was superb enough to warrant buying  the picture on the box)

• Like 6