Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

On 01/01/2018 at 11:42 AM, fightersweep said:

Plasto;

Agreed! There are dozens of Airfix kits I would be more than happy to see re-released. Beaver, Cessna Bird Dog, Cessna 02, Piper Cherokee, Beagle Bassett, SRN1, Morris Marina, Austin Maxi, Lotus Cortina, Vauxhall Victor etc etc. I still have a lot of time for a big chunk of thier back catalogue. They really should coinsider a "Classis Range" like Revell did. Everyone knows just what they are getting then.

Great minds think alike I've been banging on about the same for years now. Would help newbies avoid the older more challenging kits until they're ready for them.

1/144 SRN.4 please Mr Airfix.

• Like 1

Nothing like a meeting of great minds! 

Totally agree! Stick em in a box with the vintage artwork, old style logo, chuck in new decals and plaster "Classic Airfix Range" all over it. Job done and Bob's your uncle....or your auntie depending on his wardrobe choice.

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Lets not forget that some of the recent toolings are no longer in the current portfolio, and could quite easily be repopped with or without new marking options. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Sea Vixen in particular fairly soon, if the prices on the Bay are any indication there is a demand for it.

And they could sink demand for the upcoming Trumpeter kit.

• Like 2

New workbench review of the year now up and it reads thus:

We would like to end this special review edition of Workbench in a similar way to which we started it, with some exciting news for the New Year. The new 2018 Airfix model range will be live on the Airfix website from 10am on Tuesday 9th January and will include a spectacular new tooling announcement that will definitely be of interest to many Workbench readers. Unfortunately, we can’t give you any more information than this for the time being, but the Airfix website will certainly be expecting plenty of traffic on that particular morning.

I hope I'm reading it wrongly because to me, that sounds like a singular new tooling announcement :( just 6 days to go until we find out for sure.

10 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

New workbench review of the year now up and it reads thus:

We would like to end this special review edition of Workbench in a similar way to which we started it, with some exciting news for the New Year. The new 2018 Airfix model range will be live on the Airfix website from 10am on Tuesday 9th January and will include a spectacular new tooling announcement that will definitely be of interest to many Workbench readers. Unfortunately, we can’t give you any more information than this for the time being, but the Airfix website will certainly be expecting plenty of traffic on that particular morning.

I hope I'm reading it wrongly because to me, that sounds like a singular new tooling announcement :( just 6 days to go until we find out for sure.

It's not entirely clear if the announcement is singular or the new tooling. I read it as singular, spectacular announcement, that could include more than one new tooling. If it was the new tooling that was singular this would have been better written as "the announcement of a spectacular new tooling." Despite all this, I expect that there will be only one more new tooling announced and signs point to this being a Sopwith Camel in, I predict, 1/24th scale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VMA131Marine said:

It's not entirely clear if the announcement is singular or the new tooling. I read it as singular, spectacular announcement, that could include more than one new tooling. If it was the new tooling that was singular this would have been better written as "the announcement of a spectacular new tooling." Despite all this, I expect that there will be only one more new tooling announced and signs point to this being a Sopwith Camel in, I predict, 1/24th scale.

Airfix and correct grammar don't necessarily go well together lol :blink:

• Like 1

It's also written:

"Clearly, the production of new Airfix model kit tooling is an expensive business and whilst everyone in the Airfix team would love to have more new tooling announcements to share with Workbench readers, the cost of this investment dictates that such announcements will always be restricted to a relatively small number of models each year. "

:worry:

Hunter,

no Harvard,

no Spitfire XIV,

no Canberra B.2,

no Lightning F.3,

no Venom,

no Hawker Hind,

any of the above please Airfix, 1/72nd scale before 1/48th please

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Wez said:

Hunter,

no Harvard,

no Spitfire XIV,

no Canberra B.2,

no Lightning F.3,

no Venom,

no Hawker Hind,

any of the above please Airfix, 1/72nd scale before 1/48th please

Heartless Man, so ye are, taking soooooo many pipe dreams are stomping 'em into the dirt.....................:rofl2::rofl2::wicked:

I think you have to read the whole

article to get the context correct.

If you do they tell us tooling is expensive to produce, we already have the Wellington and Blenheim on the way in 2018. 

So they set the scene here. I think that there will be one new tool announcement on the 9th along with the other range stuff which I suppose is re-boxing, re-releases etc. 

Edited by Plasto

13 minutes ago, Plasto said:

I think you have to read the whole

article to get the context correct.

If you do they tell us tooling is expensive to produce, we already have the Wellington and Blenheim on the way in 2018. 

So they set the scene here. I think that there will be one new tool announcement on the 9th along with the other range stuff which I suppose is re-boxing, re-releases etc. 

Good, clear, thinking.

Don't overlook the fact that even the smallest subject takes at least a year to tool, others proportionally longer.  Those making pleas to Airfix for this or that on Tue, should realise the subject(s) were already decided months ago.  Dream on.

Remember too that HH are deeply in debt, and rely on their Bank Manager to approve their forward budget.  I feel they wouldn't approve anything much more than 2 years ahead, even that.  So no 1/24 or even large 1/48.

As for Tuesday's announcement I expect little more than 1 x 1/48 (small) ie single engined, and 1 or at the most 2  x 1/72 again both small, though perhaps a small twin such as Mosquito or Me410

2 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Airfix and correct grammar don't necessarily go well together lol :blink:

Blimmy ....they must be my ex pupils...........................well Airfix are in Thanet ...enough said :smartass::whistle:

• Haha 3

We already have two new tool British bombers, so I would be really surprised is another one is planned next year.

7 minutes ago, stever219 said:

1/24th scale Walrus, building on the success of the 1/48th kit and maximising return on the research, design and development costs for it.

Except you’d have additional R+D costs adding detail to the ‘model’ and a 1/24 kit would probably need a complete redesign over a 1/48 offering. 

If if you look at all the pointers Airfix give out as part of their normal marketing and social media activity we can see a new bit of artwork floating around for a camel and a lot of ‘store’ put into the 100th Anniversary of the RAF. 

So so it’s not unreasonable to think that the ‘spectacular’ new tool will be RAF themed to tie in with this.

Depends on how you define Spectacular. Large model with heaps of detail. Much requested type. Or a combination of both.

What subject would possibly define the RAF in the eyes of the general public and enthusiast modellers and would be spectacular and a crowning moment in the range over the course of the 100th celebration of the RAF.

Possibly not a Walrus...

I think 1/24 Camel or 1/24 Spitfire...

If it's going to be a big release to celebrate the RAF centenary do we need to remind Airfix that 1st of April is less than three months away? Whatever it is had better already be on the slow boat from China / India and steering to avoid any Typhoons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1