Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb 1/48

You might remember that my last RFI was the ME 109 from the Airfix Dogfight Double set .The Me 109 was dream to put together, the Spitfire on the other hand.... to any one building this model in the future I would say be aware of the top cowling cover in front of the cockpit, the fit is terrible. I had to use loads of filler and then I had to learn to rescribe, little did I know that you cannot scribe Humbrol filler or Perfect Plastic Putty.

Fortunately I discovered goo on this site (a mixture of sprue and liquid cement), and ended up having to rescribe everything from the cockpit  forward ! 

To be honest I lost the will to live with it and decided to use it as paint mule to experiment with paint techniques, I finished up with a model that was pleasing to my eye but probably not accurate. Other minor problems included the aerial breaking and I lost the rear view mirror to the carpet monster, also the spinner was meant to black but I liked the look of it red.

The undercarriage in my view is a Heath Robinson affair but I build my models 'wheels up' on most occasions so this was not an issue, anyway here she is. 

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

And now a few shots of the two models together.

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3903.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

Anyway thats it folks, thanks for looking. As usual all comments and criticisms are welcome.

Everythings been packed away until after Chrimbo, as it stands my next project will be a 1/48 Canberra by Airfix, its a beast and I really don't know where its going to go.

Wishing everybody on here a fantastic Christmas and a brilliant modelling new year.

• Like 19

Model has come out really well despite your problems

14 hours ago, Telboy3510 said:

to any one building this model in the future I would say be aware of the top cowling cover in front of the cockpit, the fit is terrible.

But this is only true if you don't pay attention to getting the internals to fit,  unfortunately the fit is very precise,  and missed sprue nibs underneath and mould lines,  on the cockpit side walls etc ,  can then throw of the fit of the fuel tank.  A layer of paint on a mating surface will also cause trouble.  Anyway, by then it's too late and you do indeed have a problem.

Not something that affects older kits, and I've seen a fair amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth on these problems,so it's not just  you. 

It should also be  noted  the tanks is  supposed to be slightly proud of the cowl, it  covered in a thin sheet  of armour

some  more here on the fit, and methods for getting it too.

15 hours ago, Telboy3510 said:

The undercarriage in my view is a Heath Robinson affair

yes, a bad piece of design,  needs pre drilling and pins fitted, but it's fiddly.  

@dragonlanceHR  suggest using leftover Eduard IX legs,  the kit has two versions in every boxing.

Great model:goodjob:

the above is info for other builders, sorry it's too late for you.

cheers

T