Best 1-32 Tornado Kit

ModellerUK

Hi all, 

what is the best 1/32 Tornado Kit to get, I would like to use the flightpath flaps and slats and detail set but could I use the newly released Tornado ECR to convert to GR.1/4 or should I buy the OOP Revell GR.1 kit which is double the price? 

On 20/12/2017 at 9:58 PM, Blue_Centurion said:

What ever happened to the new tool 1/32 Italeri Gr.4?

I have had a look but it is still not announced yet, however I got the Tornado ECR 1-32 kit looking at the mounds it does in fact confirm some reviews I read. It does appear to be the same kit as before just a new sprue added for the ECR stuff, which I am not interested in. 

Basically the two kits are the same but the GR.1 kit comes with an RAF specific sprue with the Hindenburgers drop tanks, bombs and skyshadow pod and the LRMTS chin pod.

Fortunately the LRMTS pod is in the Flightpath set but you'll need to source the Skyshadow pod separately from Flightpath and Hindenburgers if required

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17743&cat=253&page=2

Alternatively some Tornados fly with a dummy boz pod in place of a skyshadow pod when not on deployment.

There are some RAF Tornado decal sheets in 1:32 but choice is limited and the Revell ECR with the special scheme only comes with limited stenciling....

Hope this info goes some way to informing your decision.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FZ6 said:

Basically the two kits are the same but the GR.1 kit comes with an RAF specific sprue with the Hindenburgers drop tanks, bombs and skyshadow pod and the LRMTS chin pod.

Fortunately the LRMTS pod is in the Flightpath set but you'll need to source the Skyshadow pod separately from Flightpath and Hindenburgers if required

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17743&cat=253&page=2

Alternatively some Tornados fly with a dummy boz pod in place of a skyshadow pod when not on deployment.

There are some RAF Tornado decal sheets in 1:32 but choice is limited and the Revell ECR with the special scheme only comes with limited stenciling....

Hope this info goes some way to informing your decision.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for your help, I have the flightpath conversion kit and flaps and slats but I may build my own slats and flaps as the flightpath look like a real challenge. 

The order arrived yesterday, 

I will then track down stores etc as time moves on. 

On 12/22/2017 at 2:33 AM, ModellerUK said:

Thanks for your help, I have the flightpath conversion kit and flaps and slats but I may build my own slats and flaps as the flightpath look like a real challenge. 

The order arrived yesterday, 

I will then track down stores etc as time moves on. 

The flightpath Slats/Flaps are a challenge. I gave up, bought another kit and used the remaining photo etch for the build. At the time (about 20 years ago) I was not experienced enough to really work it. I'd try again today if I had a chance.

• 2 months later...

The Flight path photoetch is excellent and unused it to complete the cockpit as a GR4 with Paragon seats using the cockpit tubs from the Black Box set ( very little else in the Black Box set is worth using - most of it including seats are out of scale). With regards to the photoetch flaps and slats set - never tackled that, had the Paragon set.

I would say buy the GR1 kit as your basic, the german ones seem a bargain but you'll spend more than the difference buying the bits needed to make a GR, plus you cant get stencil from anywhere other than Revels GR kit.

If you are not desperate hang on as Italeri are releasing their GR4 this year and I would think this release will push a few of the Revell kits out of attics and the price will come down

If I were buying one today I'd be expecting to pay around 40-50 plus post, but you do see them lower than this at the shows. When you bear in mind Revell retail price was 50 its apparant its only the German ones that lose value, these can be picked up for around 25-30

Regards

Nigel 

Edited by nigelshipp
spelling corrrection