Paint finish for decals

colinlp

Hi, I'm new to modelling, I will be building the Airfix Saturn V in the new year. I would like a matt finish to the finished model but I have read that decals don't look that good when applied to a matt finish. I'm wondering if I might be better using a gloss paint then over spraying with a matt varnish or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks

Decals are best applied over a gloss surface. If you apply them over matt you'll almost certainly get "silvering" - tiny bubbles of air trapped between the smooth decal underside and the minutely rough matt paint surface.

So either paint the model in gloss then apply decals, or paint in matt, apply gloss varnish, then apply decals.

Once the decals have fully cured, apply a clear matt, satin or gloss coat as required. 

As for the Saturn 5, I didn't realise they had a matt finish - I had assumed from the photos that they were gloss. One lives and learns...

Thanks for that, much appreciated .

The Saturns were painted gloss but I think from a distance that replicates the 1:144 scale they appear more matt to me, I was planning on minor polishing of the matt surface to give the slight impression of a shine which photographs seem to show

53 minutes ago, colinlp said:

from a distance that replicates the 1:144 scale they appear more matt to me,

Good point. You could always use a mix of matt and satin or gloss (from the same manufacturer/range/chemistry) to get the precise degree of shine that looks right. 

Edit to add:

Ifyou decide to mix the clear coats, it's probably best to mix a few samples at different ratios and paint them on a scrap piece to check (a) the finish and (b) that they mix without unpleasant side effects!

Edited by bhouse
additional info
  • Like 2