Vought O2SU Kingfisher....surely a dumb question

Artie

Hi all.......With an old Monogram kit as a backgorund story, a few questions came to my mind...

I know about the kit's shortcomings, specially the main float being some 35% undersized, and the spurious cockpit detail, but I've always liked the kit, since I built one, long, long, time ago.....

My main concern is about the float......I know Cutting Edge offered a resin replacement for an accurate EDO float. Given the fact that the original EDO float was somehow bigger than the Vought main float, is there any chance that the kit represents one of those Vought float equipped planes...????

Can't find a Cutting Edge corrected float, so must  stick to the kit's one.....

TIA and best regards....

2lGE9-e1443991464808-678x381.jpg

not a dumb question at all, and one that has been asked before, but on Hyperscale

I searched 'Monogram kingfisher float" 

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/search?searchterm=monogram+kingfisher+float&sort=match

this seems most relevant,  http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1317683251 note the link to a post @Dana Bell

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1266443128/Monogram+Kingfisher+pontoon+-+part+2

I posted yesterday that the Monogram 1/48th OS2U Kingfisher carried what was mostly a Vought float with a number of Edo float features (including the beaching gear). Thinking it over, I began wondering if Monogram was trying to give us an Edo float that just looked more like the Vought float. 

To set my own mind at rest, I just did some measurements; all the following notes are parallel to the thrust line. 

With water rudder in place, the Vought float is 26'7" long. In 1/48th scale, I get 6.65 inches; Monogram is just about .2 inches short of that. 

With the Vought float attached, the actual aircraft is 33' 7-3/16" long, or just about 8.396 inches long. The Monogram kit is about 8.4 inches long. 

The real Edo float is 27'10" long - about 1'3" longer than the Vought float. In 1/48th I come up with about 6.96" long - the Monogram kit is just about half an inch short of that. With the Edo float mounted, the Kingfisher is 33'10" long - only about 3 inches (about .063" in 1/48th scale) longer than with the Vought float attached. 

So, despite its shape issues, the Monogram float is closer in size to the Vought float than the Edo. Mike West's Edo float will help a bunch; here's hoping for a good Vought float at some point, too! 

Cheers, 

Dana

Also, Lone Star do a resin float. as well as interior set I think, though liable to be more then you want to pay.

What I'd like to know, are there any reliable plans,. and could the existing float be corrected, say with parts of another float?  note the bold above it seems the float a half inch (about 13mm) too short, if the basic shape is OK, a splice or two may brig it to the right length.

Not an area I know much about,  

OK, thsi

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1014936908

this assumes the Cutting Edge float is correct.  There was a site linked with some Vought drawings, but that's gone.

hopefully this will draw out some proper information

HTH

T

Hi, Troy...Thank you very much for your quick reply....

I've got the Squadron Signal "In action" , and there can be seen a few pics of O2Sus fitted with  the original Vought floats, and they're noticeable pointier and "skinnier" (if that's correctly said), than the Edo Floats...that's where my questions arose......

maybe I could save some money, by leaving the kit's float as is, assuming it's a Vought float example.....Not so interested about that plane as for spending 50 euros in aftermarket resin kits......

Cheers.....

FWIW, Airwar.ru has some plans

http://airwar.ru/other/draw/os2u.html

http://airwar.ru/other/draw/os2u-2.html

the 2nd link  the small images show differences between the floats on different version,   and there are some real dimensions above from Dana 

he also posted this

book review

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/books/kingfisherbookreviewse_1.htm

addenda

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/kingfisheraddendadb_1.htm

This is a comparizon drawing of the Vought and Edo froats.

0000028.jpg

To my eyes, the float of the Monogram kit looks more like the Edo float.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Edited by Junchan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here's a good multi view I found on the net. It gives a good comparison of the 2 float types

27358289809_fff782ec59_k.jpg3 view large by Colin Latta, on Flickr

I've also cleaned up and enlarged the float section ...

39149579662_d2ba8eda8b_k.jpgedo large2 by Colin Latta, on Flickr

cheers, Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few more details have come up since I wrote that piece for HyperScale.  All OS2U-1s were delivered with colorful pre-war schemes and Vought floats and were assigned to ships.  More OS2U-2s were ordered, a few with colorful pre-war schemes, the rest in camouflage.  Those assigned to ships received Vought floats, those assigned to shore duties were issued Edo floats.  The Vought floats did not perform well at sea, and were replaced by Edo floats soon after camouflage was introduced.  (So anyone wanting to use an uncamouflaged scheme will need the Vought floats.)

All OS2U-3s that were delivered with floats received the Edo versions.  (Many -3s were shore-based trainers or assigned to inshore patrol squadrons, and were delivered without floats.)

I hope this helps when matching color scheme to an after market float.

Cheers,

Dana

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, neilh said:

Given those plans - would it e prohibitive to get one 3D printed?

Depends how much that costs,  one-off parts are not particularly cheap,

but I'd be inclined first to rescale  and print out said plans, and see what if anything can be done using,  erm , modelling...

Due to extremely boring technology issues, (basically the machines that have printers and decent graphics program are not here, and neither are any Mono Kingfisher kits )  I can't do the basic checks at the moment..

A quick search has turned up what  I suspected/dimly remembered...

from https://www.agapemodels.com/2011/10/12/kit-preview-revells-148-os2u-kingfisher/

DSC00622.jpg?fit=860,645&ssl=1

note the bottom of the float is a double curve (or whatever it's called, I know almost nothing about floats) which is a feature of the EDO float, but not the Vought.

By modelling,  adding some plastic strip to enlarge said float, (or using parts from 2 floats?)

This maybe a hiding to nothing,  but I have noticed a tendancy to take what's written on a modelling site as 'correct' and then not actually check personally, or even attempt a correction. 

Cutting Edge used to do a cowling as well, not sure what's wrong with the kit one.   

I have to admit the Kingfisher is of marginal interest,  I only  built one in my youth because back in the late 70's there was a limited selection of 1/48th kits available in UK in model  shops (as opposed to mail order),  but this was one of them, so I got  one an built it...the remains are in a box,  and I have ended up with a couple of hi-tech boxings  as well,  so I may well check out of sheer bloody mindedness.

which bring us back to the initial post by @Artie

On 18/12/2017 at 14:48, Artie said:

My main concern is about the float......I know Cutting Edge offered a resin replacement for an accurate EDO float. Given the fact that the original EDO float was somehow bigger than the Vought main float, is there any chance that the kit represents one of those Vought float equipped planes...????

Fancy ha ving a compare now you have some plans and other input, or do you not have the software to rescale easily?

cheers

T

Dear friends, I must admit I'm overwhelmed with such an amount of helpul and clarifying information...and of course, must give you a big THANK YOU. 

My plans don't go further than building a prewar, yellow winged example, so, according to what Dana Bell said, an early machine should be fitted with Vought floats, wich makes me save a few euros.....now, a quick online search to look for a "high tech" kit will be the next step....

The "double curved" bottom of the floats don't really worry me, will surely make a small "water effect" diorama, with the plane sailing .....a nice challenge for a shoddy modeller like me...

Best regards...

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Dana Bell said:

A few more details have come up since I wrote that piece for HyperScale.  All OS2U-1s were delivered with colorful pre-war schemes and Vought floats and were assigned to ships.  More OS2U-2s were ordered, a few with colorful pre-war schemes, the rest in camouflage.  Those assigned to ships received Vought floats, those assigned to shore duties were issued Edo floats.  The Vought floats did not perform well at sea, and were replaced by Edo floats soon after camouflage was introduced.  (So anyone wanting to use an uncamouflaged scheme will need the Vought floats.)

All OS2U-3s that were delivered with floats received the Edo versions.  (Many -3s were shore-based trainers or assigned to inshore patrol squadrons, and were delivered without floats.)

I hope this helps when matching color scheme to an after market float.

Cheers,

Dana

Dana, thanks for the beneficial info. This topic has confused me over the years. You helped to sort things out.                                Bob H.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I have recently purchased the 1/48 Cutting Edge Interior and Floats resin sets from a friend, but no instructions came with them.

Does anyone have the instructions and can scan or photograph them? It seems really hard to build without instructions.

Thank you all in advance.

Alex

• Like 1