"Dodging" the Active Runway - 1/35 Flying Control WC51

While the paint was hardening, I was working on cleaning up the graphics for the waterslides. Here's a photo of a couple of stencils from the rear of the truck.

fc13.jpg

fc12.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

The next step was to mark out all the checkers with a pencil. I decided against masking as there are so many little grills, fixings, and corners to go around, it would be a nightmare. So, I'm brush painting it. Here's the truck marked up and ready. Oh yes, the eagle eyed may have noticed I knocked the rear spotlight off giving it a light rub down before painting. I didn't loose it, so it will go back on after the checkers.

dodge32.jpg

Then the painting began with a small brush, and steady hand and lots of holding my breath. Here we are one hour into the checker painting!

dodge33.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Well !!! another four hours of painting past by on January 13th 2010 gazing at black squares! Only the back of the body, rear doors, side flaps and the front grill were left to checker. There were a few edges to touch up, but after all that time staring, my eyes had gone funny, and I could still see checkers when staring at my laptop screen.

dodge35.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

Another couple of hours checker painting made almost nine hours in total. The checkers don't meet correctly on the roof, but that isn't an error on the model, it is the same on the real truck. My friend who owned the truck before me, started painting the checkers from the front of the truck, forgetting the rear body sides were different lengths due to the late war "access body". When he got the the back and started to go over the top, he realised they wouldn't match up, and painted the black line separator. The side flaps, rear doors and grill were last to be checkered.

dodge37.jpg

dodge36.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

The following day saw a little more paint touch ups on the checkers and other detail painting. The rear doors, one side door, tool rack, front grill, steering wheel, spare wheel were fitted, and spot light re-fitted.

Lights painted and front grill on.

dodge38.jpg

Spare wheel and side flap ( in open position )

dodge39.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

The next job done was to the astro dome, adding the bottom mounting lip, made from a ring of clear styrene sheet. The wheels were also then glued on.

dodge42.jpg

A little more progress was made on January 16th 2010. The roof canvas was glued on and the canvas over the dome mount was built up in Milliput epoxy putty. This was shaped and a few wrinkles added with the blunt end of a paint brush. The four leather straps that hold the roof down were added with some thin styrene cut into 0.75mm wide strips.

dodge43.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

The roof canvas Milliput was trimmed and blended in to the rest of the moulded roof. The roof canvas and the hold down straps were then painted. The olive drab reflector housings on the side body were painted too, plus a little more touching up inside and out.

dodge44.jpg

The observer's dome was then glued in with PVA.

dodge45.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

The flag and wind sock next. The flag is a graphic I did on the computer, mirror imaged it and printed it on paper. This was then folded back on itself around some brass wire and stuck with double sided tape, then crinkled to show it waving in the wind.

dodge48.jpg

The wind sock is also paper, rolled and stuck with double sided tape, crinkled a bit and painted. Brass wire forms the poles.

dodge46.jpg

dodge47.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

A friend did the original set of waterslides, but not all of them were reduced to the correct size. I applied the good ones and ordered some paper for myself to have a go and making my own decals.

dodge51.jpg

Registration.

dodge52.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Before I post the completed pictures, these two shots along with the 1/1 scale Dodge makes you realise how small 1/35 scale is. You can just make out the model amongst the checkers on the real thing!

dodge66.jpg

dodge67.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force