Tips for first WW1 build

Blitz23

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im definitely looking at WW1 aircraft myself. The rigging has always put me off, but i think i have the patience and skills to attempt it now. I would like to thank everyone here for threads like this with all the advice and tips. That and all the encouragement everyone here offers. Im looking at Eduard currently because WNW’s are just way outside my budget allowance. Someday I hope to build WNW kits but I will start out small for now. My first will likely be an Albatross V as Ive always liked the look of them. Followed by a Fokker or possibly an allied plane. 

Dennis 

Hi Dennis, just a note about the cost of WNW kits. I agree that they are very expensive and you could buy a lot of other kits for the price of one of these. I look at a WNW kit as the equivalent of 2 or even 3 of other makes of kit with the added bonus that Wing Nuts do fit exceptionally well and  are very well researched with an excellent choice of decals.  

If you purchase the right one you can even avoid rigging, although if taken slowly the rigging can be enjoyable too! 

Have a go Dennis!! 

Andrew.  

• Thanks 2

I agree it is tempting ... it really is. However my budget covers supplies as well as kits as Im sure yours does. One WNW’s kit would eat up 6 months of budget for me. So i wouldn't even be able to do anything but said kit. Nice idea on paper but i usualy have 2-3 going constantly to fill in with drying time or what have you. So there is my dilemma. Ive said before i wish WNW would do an economy selection much like eduards weekend series. I would be more likely to go that route. 

Dennis 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but it's always great to see someone else willing to tackle that supposed "black art" we call rigging! I only work in 1:72 and almost exclusively in WWI types (1 Hurricane built, 1 Heinkel 111 in progress!). There are many different methods, my own preferred one is to drill and thread, using monofilament fishing line. As for wood effects, I use acrylics and a mini tutorial was posted on my Donnet-Leveque thread in the seaplane GB. I can't reference it right now as I'm on my phone, but it should come up in a search. Happy to give any advice/tips you feel that you need!

Ian