33 inch Eagle Transporter

I have been working on a personal project of a 3D model of the eagle transporter for a number of years - on and off - off mostly.

With my acquisition of a 3D printer, I dug the project out again after a suggestion that my chosen printer was not good enough to print the model at the studio scale size of 44 inches.

I like a challenge but after a bit of measuring i thought it foolish to create such a monster, my house is small, so I upped the difficulty and decided to go for a 33 inch size (roughly 1/32) as it fits nicely in the sizes of commonly made ET replicas and kits, and would fit on my shelf.

after lots of printing, I'm ready to be showing images. A way to go yet but I finally see the end in sight. 

2017-08-21%2012.35.03.jpg?raw=1

this is where I had got to at the end of the summer, since then I have been working on fiddly stuff like the cockpit interior, pilot figures and lighting. I'll post more images as I get chunks made.

enjoy!

• Like 10

Hi,

I wish you well with your Eagle and look forward to seeing it painted up.

May I ask how many parts there are in this build? I'm wondering how many of the sub-assemblies were printed out in one piece, and how many were 'constructed' in the traditional way?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

thanks for the comments and likes, makes all the sanding feel worthwhile! here are some more pics, maybe they will give an idea of how the thing has been broken up to make it printable.

i started with the nose/beak/command module, it is split back to front like the filming models. i have used magnets - in hindsight i wish i had not as it has made fitting the cockpit internals more of a ship in a bottle type of mission. I never intended to do cockpit internals when i started out....

2017-03-10%2016.57.29.jpg?raw=1

• Like 2

more of the cockpit and walkway - I faked the kitbashed parts by making similar looking 3d objects, you can hardly see them in amongst all the trellis so hopefully I will get away with it.

so far the only non 3d printed bits are some small screws and bolts, piano and brass wire, some steel tube for landing legs and some 1mm perspex for windows, and the electric bits, more on them another time.2017-12-22%2009.52.46.jpg?raw=1

• Like 4

here are some pics from this mornings push fit together of all the bits for the cockpit and the front walkway with pods and trellis attached - luckily it all fits! looks a bit wonky but the locating pins are not in place and will not be until the white primer goes on the whole thing..... which will be after all the sanding and filling is finished

2017-12-27%2009.12.43.jpg?raw=1

2017-12-27%2009.11.06.jpg?raw=1

• Like 4

i had to make the last walkway section so i could finally see the model together, in a push fit and cable tie kind of way.

here are the parts

2017-12-27%2011.07.23.jpg?raw=1

and in progress assembly, pass the glue

2017-12-28%2011.08.38.jpg?raw=1

you can see my fakery of the tank and lunar lander kitbash parts more clearly here

and here is the assembled unit......

2017-12-28%2012.26.26.jpg?raw=1

• Like 2

On 29/12/2017 at 11:43 PM, GrahamS said:

Fab stuff.

Makes me want to get a 3D printer!

Graham

it is a very cool way to make things the way you want them, just buy loads of sandpaper and high build primer too!

Not much to report as I had some paid work come in so the printing for fun purposes had to stop! boo

just fiddling with the underside of the passenger pod, the jaunty angle of the legs will be corrected when i find my box of M3 nuts and bolts, its probably under something somehwere....

2018-01-12%2012.42.08.jpg?raw=1

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

paid work has been completed, time for more endless sanding of 3D prints.

i think i have may have forgotten to scale down the pilot figure from his approx 1/24 scale that i initially made the model at, but he managed to get painted before my doubts were confirmed. here we see him sitting next to one of my other 3D printed (not on my printer though) pilots from a forthcoming sci-fi project at the same scale, lets just call her 'wilma' for now......

DSC_1104.JPG?raw=1

• Like 2

On 30/01/2018 at 2:53 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

this build certainly is the 'go large' version of its type. Noting that you are a UK based modeller, I am hoping we shall see this when completed doing its rounds in the UK IPMS clubs shows

it won't be ready for a while, but I will be at the model show at Bovington next weekend, i might have some bits in my backpack, also some 3d printed parts from 'the other sci-fi' project, and some bits of my 1/16 jeep