Issues with pictures and spoiler tags

3 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I think you've jumped to a conclusion that's not quite right. Pasting the URL from Flickr ALWAYS WORKED IN THE PAST. It just stopped a couple of days ago. Now, whether Flickr did something to screw this up, or a Windows update (unlikely since iOS folks are complaining about the same thing), or something changed in the forum software, I have no clue. But it's a moot point since there is a method that works. Therefore, Flickr can indeed creating a URL that is readable by the forum.

I agree with you, but I think Mike was specifically referring to the mobile app, which doesn't enable one to do this.

For the benefit of the other four folks besides me who use the Windows 10 mobile (gasp!) Flickr app (called Fliky since it's third party), it works pretty much as I described for the desktop version. The main difference being that you get to the image URL through the Share button. Once you select Share, you pick Copy Link from the menu and paste into BM. Works like a charm! I just discovered this the other day when my original method with Flickr stopped working.

Are there Flickr third party apps for Andoid and Apple? Maybe one of those would work if there are any.

I could have predicted that Flickr would blame the forum software, and the forum software guys would blame Flickr. Something changed, though, that's for sure.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Yes, I use a Windows 10 mobile phone. But you guys always knew I was rather odd.

2017-12-10 22-06-39 (C) (1)

https://flic.kr/p/HpxMyM

The above is an experiment..

Both images are from Flickr the top one was posted here about a week ago via the Flickr app on iOS I’ve just copied and pasted the image from its thread to this one.

the link below is the Flickr app generated link on iOS which does not now embed.

HTH

Plasto

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I think you've jumped to a conclusion that's not quite right. Pasting the URL from Flickr ALWAYS WORKED IN THE PAST. It just stopped a couple of days ago. Now, whether Flickr did something to screw this up, or a Windows update (unlikely since iOS folks are complaining about the same thing), or something changed in the forum software, I have no clue. But it's a moot point since there is a method that works. Therefore, Flickr can indeed creating a URL that is readable by the forum.

Navy Bird, Many thanks it works!!!

24255624937_203c1b1fc6_c.jpg

Regards

J-W

4 hours ago, Bill.B said:

I’ve sorted my particular issue. I’m using a free App called ‘Shares for Flickr.’ on my iPhone and it copies a pukka URL and embeds the picture. :)

It works!!!!!!

Trevor

25120778778_3aa76bbf04_k.jpg

Just testing the bb code with the date and blarb at the end deleted. Just copied it in from Flickr.com and couldn't see if it worked until I clicked submit 

Edited by shood23

Sounds like there is a third party solution for iOS mobile (Share for Flickr). Now we just need one for Android - anyone up for some experimentation? I just had a look at the Google Play Store and there's only about 1,000 of them...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

3 minutes ago, shood23 said:

Navy I just added my post from my s7 so I know.my way works for android

Great! We have solutions for everybody then, right? We can all go back to modelling!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike said:

That's settled then.  The desktop (website) works to copy BBCode, while the mobile app doesn't have that facility.  Time to ask them to add it.  Get in touch with Flickr, make your feelings known, and also review it on the Appstore and Playstore, marking it down for not having BBCode in the share options, or at least the ability to link to an actual URL with .jpg or .png at the end.  That's the solution :)

I, like Bill, used the Android and IOS Flickr apps to post photographs here until the other day (when they stopped working). As far as I can remember, they've always posted a shortened code (?) like https://flic.kr/p/EyGEcU.

It's a First-world problem really,  I have a PC so can copy the BBCode from Flickr and paste it here but I liked the convenience of being able to take a photograph on my phone, upload it to Flickr then post here. Oh well, such is life.

Well said, Bill. A very lucid description of how to use Flickr. You don't need BBcodes or URLs 'whatever they are', you just need to use the mouse. I don't know about smartphones but I guess there's a workaround with them. (just thought I'd double check it still works,:phew: and yep'.

36362151691_f7b30c288b_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Sounds like there is a third party solution for iOS mobile (Share for Flickr).

So it would seem but I can’t get it to work with either iPad or iPhone - I just get a blank screen with icons in the bottom left and right hand corners.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Bill - my comment about not being able to create URLs readable by the forum relates to the mobile app's lack of functionality, not desktop use.  They're the ones that are having the most trouble, it seems.

Plus, some people have been saying that copying Embed code over used to work, and now doesn't.  I'm doubtful whether that has ever been the case, but as I've never used Flickr until today, I don't know for sure.  What I do know is that on the desktop, you can copy the BBcode over for a simple solution. :)

Yes, copying the embedded code over used to work for me too until recently, but I only have an iPhone and iPad and as I don’t own a desktop PC I had to find an alternative. What I’ve done is download a free app called ‘Shares for Flickr’ and as you can see from the image below it works just fine :) .............for now. 

25316440078_b7566f9481_o.jpg

I'm not sure how you'd do it, but it might be worth checking when the Flickr app was last updated. It may shed some light on the situation. It also might not, but if someone can check it would be interesting. :)

On 12/20/2017 at 2:41 PM, Mike said:

Seems a bit extreme... instead of copying & pasting the Embed code, just copy the BBCode. :)

Mike.. what is the "BBCode"? is it the top address code?? or the code you get when you press "Share"??

BBCode is a pseudo-language created to help bulletin-boards (as forums were known back then) to provide a more multi-media experience.  Invision has BBCode still functional, and an image can be entered by typing the following code into the posting window:

[img=http://www.britmodeller.com/reviews/staff/mike/infiltrator/complete1.jpg] = That will show an image the same as the one below this box.

:) = smiley

:dull: = dull smiley

:tired: = tired smiley

[url=http:/www.britmodeller.com/]visit britmodeller[/url] = a link to the BM home page.

complete1.jpg

It's just a language that the forum software parses to post up things that ain't text.  Of course, things have moved on since then, with buttons making a lot of this easier to do, but there are still a number of uses for it, and I prefer to use BBCode at times because you don't have to reach for your touchpad, find the cursor, click the button, then relocate your hands on the keys to continue typing.  It's less disturbing to the flow of things when you're on a roll :)