How to cut down a sewing needle?

F111Fan

So I'm building a 1/48 SHAR FA.2 to get back in to the hobby, and I'm looking to use a sewing needle cut down to replicate the pitot on the tail. However, I don't own a vice, and the saw I have (which can cut through metal) hasn't made a dent when I have tried it! How do you guys do it? Anyone got any good pointers they can give? Thanks in advance!

Tom

Very carefully !!

Without all the right tools, the only way I can think of doing it is to grip the needle with a pair of pliers and then use a pair of snips or cutters to cut it: it would probably be sensible to try to cut the needle inside a plastic bag to stop it flying off into oblivion until you find it with a bare foot.

And remember: please wear safely goggles.

• Like 1

Needles tend to be very hardened & quite brittle so you might find notching it with the edge of a fine file & then gripping each side of the notch with pliers & bending should snap it. If it just bends it should be soft enough to cut with pliers, in a bag as suggested a good idea.

Steve.

A standard HSS blade wont cut a needle without destroying your saw.

The best way I know of is to use a Dremel fitted with cutting disc.  Using sellotape stick the needle to a piece of wood or plastic, make sure the tape covers the whole needle, now just cut the length, the tape will hold everything in place.  Admittedly it's going to cost if you don't have a Dremel but they're so useful it will be money well spent.

Or use piano wire, this can be cut by wire cutters or HSS saws, but if you're wanting a point you'll have to fashion it.   

Edited by Kev The Modeller

I use fine brass or aluminum wire or tubing for guns and pitot’s. It comes in various diameters and is relatively inexpensive from multiple companies either online or in hobbyshops. Ive even seen it in some local hardware stores. I hope that helps.

Dennis