Airfix 1/76 Stug III Vintage Bagged kit

thevid

The is the 1/76 Airfix "Assault Gun" from a very old bagged kit. For it's age it is nicely detailed. A few bits were added from the Fujimi kit like mg, v-scope and rear deck wheelsAirfix%20Stug%20III%20G%20008_zps4olsdcl. 

Airfix%20Stug%20III%20G%20006_zpsko0eqkf

Airfix%20Stug%20III%20G%20004_zpsx9yju68

Airfix%20Stug%20III%20G%20001_zpszp0xpof

• Like 16

Good looking Stug. 👍 ... Sadly growing up in the USA. Older Airfix and Matchbox were rarities in stores and hobby-shops. We mostly had Monogram, Testors, Italeri, and a few others here of dubious quality. We started getting the Tamigawas in the 80’s but still not a lot of Airfix or Matchbox. Im getting to see what i missed out on. 

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

You have done a really good job with the old kit. Well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix.  The shape and detail is all there.  It just needs a bit of careful assembly and subtle painting to bring it out.  I did use a black acrylic paint wash and Future.  The good thing about using a future wash is that the paint went around the wheels easily.  Then I finished painting the rest of the wheel in black.  

28 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good looking Stug. 👍 ... Sadly growing up in the USA. Older Airfix and Matchbox were rarities in stores and hobby-shops. We mostly had Monogram, Testors, Italeri, and a few others here of dubious quality. We started getting the Tamigawas in the 80’s but still not a lot of Airfix or Matchbox. Im getting to see what i missed out on. 

I remember trying to build the Stalin tank.  I thought they were too hard for my 7 years old skills.  Lots of glue helped.  I was introduced to Airfix in the early 1960s then later when MPC imported the kits under their label.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thevid said:

Thanks Stix.  The shape and detail is all there.  It just needs a bit of careful assembly and subtle painting to bring it out.  I did use a black acrylic paint wash and Future.  The good thing about using a future wash is that the paint went around the wheels easily.  Then I finished painting the rest of the wheel in black.  

How does the future work ? does it go on first before paint?

Edited by Arachnid
Grammar

16 minutes ago, Arachnid said:

How does the future work ? does it go on first before paint?

It goes on after you paint the model and goes on just like any wash. You make a wash with the paint and future.  When you apply the wash it will surround detail nicely.  On the wheels I wanted the wash darker than normal so I had to do was paint the outer wheels. The rims were neatly outlined in black.  You can add a few drops or more depending on how dark you want it.

12 hours ago, thevid said:

It goes on after you paint the model and goes on just like any wash. You make a wash with the paint and future.  When you apply the wash it will surround detail nicely.  On the wheels I wanted the wash darker than normal so I had to do was paint the outer wheels. The rims were neatly outlined in black.  You can add a few drops or more depending on how dark you want it.

Thanks for the info

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Fantastic. But here I'm going to pick a fight. It should be in dark yellow!

Hey!   In the box art it was grey and I'm sticking to that! :)  

Here is yellow version done a while back.  StugIII_3_sm.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 8:08 PM, IanC said:

Fantastic. But here I'm going to pick a fight. It should be in dark yellow!

That's nothing I painted mine dark green, after all that's how it looked on the instructions. That was back in 1971. Airfix were not so hot on accuracy back then. Witness the Panther box art fighting it's way across the desert lined with palm trees.