AK Xtreme

Kev The Modeller

I'm using AK Xtreme paints for the first time, seen countless videos but I'm finding it very hit and miss especially the black base, I'm sure it's just a learning curve but any tips would be gratefully received.

I'm using it for motorcycle frame and parts, do you clearcoat/ varnish it after application? 

I’m surprised you are having any issues at all with the Xtreme Metal range, I have found them to be very easy to use. 

Can you give us a bit more information, for example what pressure you are spraying at and distance from airbrush to kit etc?

Duncan B

Hello Duncan

The problems I'm having is to do with small areas especially when they're round like front forks it's not so much the application it's the finish, mainly with the base black and chrome.  I've coated the bottle caps so I can see the finish to help chose a particular finish, these have all gone on very well, the finish on the chrome is really good but on the forks it's rubbish.

I've now removed it four times, the surface is good, primed with base black (that took 2 goes) air pressure is 20psi, I've tried less and more (more just makes the paint run), applied in thin coats even tough AK say you don't have to worry as it will sort it's self out.  I've also tried just laying on same result crap finish. Using H&S Evo 0.2 needle paint properly mixed, used straight from the bottle, distance from the surface about 3cm.  

It's possible I'm expecting too much, but I would expect to get a smooth shinny finish, what I'm getting is matt aluminium and a very poor surface mottled almost.     

Edited by Kev The Modeller
  • Sad 1

Hi Kev

From what you have said I can't see anything that stands out as being likely to cause any problems. You have used the same paint on the bottle tops and it worked ok. I am wondering if it is the shape of the forks causing the issue? Possibly the turbulence around the forks carrying paint around the back of the forks and causing the rough finish (if you follow me?). 

I don't think you are expecting too much from the paint, it usually performs really well.

All I can suggest is to test different coats and pressures on sprue of a similar thickness to your forks until you get the finish you want (rather than have to strip the forks each time).

Sorry I couldn't be more help but do update this thread with your progress.

Duncan B

Just some feed back on this one, this was the hit and miss finish I was getting, these were sprayed one after the

39107903041_c7355beae9_k.jpg

As you can see the one on the left is dull, looks like a rough finishing, but it's not it smooth but just dull as if the it's separated or dried before hitting the surface.  

Having spent last Fri playing with my 20 Xtreme colours all of which spray on ok with just the odd tweak with air and needle setting for some finishes, accept the Chrome.  I spent all day Saturday trying all manner of air, needle, distance settings it just wouldn't work, the paint was just washing off the surface or not lay flat.  I watched every Utube video I could find, all said it didn't matter if you flooded the surface it would sort it's it's self , which is true with all the other colours but not this chrome.  By reducing the air to 13psi it got better but wasn't consistent (see photo above), I then out of almost desperation turned the air down to 10psi and with the lightest dusting it worked 

39127383391_6b30c0ef3a_k.jpg

38417283264_53d324782d_k.jpg

39095824982_2707de79e6_k.jpg

Even on the forks

39127248771_05effc8eba_k.jpg

At last:thumbsup:

I did find out they were problems with early batches of the Xtreme, so I'm wondering if my chrome is from these early batches, I've also got a problem with pale brass,  it just wont shake mix.  I've contacted AK in the hope they're from the early batches it would explain what's been happening!    

Edited by Kev The Modeller

The fork legs in the last photo look superb. I think the shape of the forks might be part of the issue as you will get turbulent air/paint swirling around the back dulling that side and it won't be easy to mist onto a shape like that so reducing the pressure was a smart move. AK recommend spraying at 21psi for the regular Xtreme Metal colours. Chrome is always going to be the most difficult shade to get right and really requires the gloss black base to mist the coats onto. If you go too heavy the paint will end up looking like a regular silver paint as the reflectiveness of the black base is lost.

Only the very earliest Xtreme Metal paints had problems and I don't think the chrome colour had been issued at that point (as far as I'm aware anyway).

Some of the colours that are hardest to mix are the likes of the Titanium, brass etc. If you look on the bottom of the bottle you will see the pigments settle out after a while and the heaviest (a brass or gold looking pigment) sits on the bottom. A small ball bearing in the bottle will help, (but be careful not to get too wild with the shaking or you'll end up wearing the paint, ask Procopious about his Alclad incident! Better to use a kind of rolling motion to get the ball bearing running around the bottom of the bottle rather than an up and down shaking and bouncing one) a long wooden stirrer will also mix the paint up nicely but will take a little more effort.

It looks like you've found your method so that is good. Happy painting1

Duncan B

• Thanks 1