Tornado ZA588

guillaume320

Hi everyone,

I would like to model Tornado Gr.4 ZA588, as depicted here: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5759905 , in service with 14 Sqn...

I haven't found decals for a standard 14 Sqn Gr.4 in 1/48. Model Alliance did an anniversary jet, and there is the Xtradecal Gr.1 sheet with too large markings for a Gr.4.

Any suggestions? 

Best regards,

Guillaume

I did this a few years ago on a 1/48 Tornado  using the 1/72 scale decals from Modeldecal Sheet No.80 which has the original mid-1980s style of squadron markings carried which were much larger than those later used on Green/Grey camouflaged aircraft and then carried over to the grey coloured ones.     Using the 1/72 decals on a 1/48 kit will give you a nose marking that fits into the panel seen on the actual aircraft while the diamonds meant to fit right across the fin in 1/72 will only cover about half-way in 1/48 as in the photograph although as the Modeldecal option only provides blue diamonds the white section will need to be cut out from scrap and added.       I seem to recall that several Tornado squadrons reduced their nose markings in a similar way to fit within the same nose panel.

Regards

Des

• Like 2