Firefly 5, SH 1.72

Here is another that I have recently completed. This is the Special Hobby 1.72 Firefly 5, i treated this as more of an exercise in painting so despite all the nice resin the internals were basically painted as all the canopies would be closed up and being black, not much would be seen anyway. I put the stripes on to make it more interesting and was quite pleased that the extra effort turned out well. As eversprayed with Model Master Acrylics. The only bit I don't like is where I tried to put an exhaust stain in but messed it up and the clean up didn't work too well. Canopies didn't fit very well either and also were removed a couple of times because no matter how hard I tried I still got dust and bits of plastic shavings stuck to the insides! Still enjoyed this build!

20171212_173010

20171212_172919

20171212_172856

20171212_172905

20171212_172936

20171212_172953

Cheers now!

Bob

• Like 31

Good looking rendition of the mighty Firefly!

If anything, the yellow prop tips look a bit over scale. According to our legendary and sorely missed Edgar, they should be 2.12mm in 1:72nd scale:

Nice work, and if you hadn't mentioned the exhaust stains, I'd just accepted them… ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Good looking rendition of the mighty Firefly!

If anything, the yellow prop tips look a bit over scale. According to our legendary and sorely missed Edgar, they should be 2.12mm in 1:72nd scale:

Kind regards,

Joachim

Its 1.41mm in 1/72 for 4" prop tips, 2.12 in 1/48. 

A really nice job on that Bob, always one of my favorites & I love what you've done with it. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Its 1.41mm in 1/72 for 4" prop tips, 2.12 in 1/48. 

A really nice job on that Bob, always one of my favorites & I love what you've done with it. :)

Steve.

Right you are. Just checking that you were awake. ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at the props they are a 'little' overstated. But 'true' story this aircraft actually trialed props with a larger yellow tip but a day later they realized that it look garbage so they reverted back to normal ones. Cant produce any photos either because apparently the duty Phot was otherwise engaged at the skippers cocktail party....... Its true I read it in the sun! :P

To be honest it was all done by eye, thanks for the kind comments though!

Bob

• Haha 1

Nicely done model of a subject that you don't often see. I wouldn't have noticed anything was wrong with the exhaust. How are the Special Hobby kits as a rule? I have two waiting to be built (late model Seafire and Wirraway in 1/72).

4 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Looking good. Only the second one I've seen built. I'm considering building mine for the Carrier GB.

There's a carrier GB coming up?? It'll be tough to narrow down a choice for that! 

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Nice job! The Special Hobby kits are quite nice, and I really enjoyed building my two. Typical short run kits, but the resin cockpits are nicely detailed and the rest provides a great canvas for making a nice replica. Wouldn't mind a thoroughly modern kit though...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3