I'm Starting Airbrushing- Need Help

Crossiant Oliver

So I've started airbrushing. I'm using Paasche's H series and the R500 compressor (I'm pretty sure it's called the R500, I forgot the name). I airbrushed a little bit of Humbrol 33 Acrylic, and after it took me around 10-15 minutes to disassemble and clean the airbrush. Is there a quicker way to clean my airbrush between different colors? I also want to use some different paints. Do I need a respirator for Tamiya X-1 Black and Testors Acrylic model master colors? Finally, I live in the Southern California sun, so is there anyway I can leave my model out in the sun to fade the paint? If anyone can inquire to me about these questions that would be great.

-Oliver

Hi,  Bottle fed, External mix brushes always take a fair amount of cleaning, you just have to work out a system that works for you.  Trial and error unfortunately.  I started with a Bader 200 and never got the hang of it, so gave up for a number of years.

Respirator, yes, breathing in paint particles & fumes is not good for you.    

These days most people go for gravity, internal mix brushes. That way you only put in the paint you need for the job and as the paint path is small, it's a lot quicker & simpler to clean out between colours.

This sort of brush: H&S Evolution Silverline  2in1

Paul

My first airbrush was a Paasche VL. In addition to the stainless steel paint cup it came with a large glass jar style cup (don't recall how much it held). I used to just keep that full of acetone, when I finished spraying one colour, I would take the stainless steel paint cup out, wipe out the tube where the cup connects with a cotton tip soaked with acetone then plug the glass jar in and give it a 10 to 15 second spray. The acetone removed all the old colour from the airbrush and then I just moved onto the next colour of choice.

You don't need to keep fully dissembling the entire brush for a simple colour change. I very rarely feel the need to do that. As already mentioned just flush through with clean thinner after you're finished and then move onto the next colour. If you are over zealous with the cleaning, you risk damaging the seals and parts of your airbrush and also you'll probably get fed up with all that cleaning and soon kick the airbrush into touch because of boredom...

Hundreds of video tuturials on Youtube, catering for absolute beginners all the way upto advanced, you can take it as far as you want to go....................check them out...................heres one for the absolute beginner to be going on with: