Airfix Hawker Typhoon IB

I had a choice of 2 kits for my next build, Revell's 1:72 Hurricane or Airfix 1:72 Typhoon. After some deliberation my son chose the Hawker Typhoon. I have just finished 2 bombers, so fancied building something smaller. In my stash I have Eduard's Royal class Spitfire's (I love building Spits), but fancied making something similar but very different. So here it is, Airfix 1:72 Hawker Typhoon IB.

2017-12-12_06-44-18

I got the kit for only £5.99 and am very impressed with the detailing. The box includes clear instructions, with a choice of 2 paint jobs, and a nice sheet of decals.

2017-12-12_06-44-26

There are 4 grey sprues, with little flash and loads of detailing.

2017-12-12_06-44-37

As well as one small clear sprue. I have decided to go with the markings of the aircraft flown by Flight Officer A H Fraser, No.439 (Westbound) Squadron, No.143 Wing (Royal Canadian Air Force), 2nd Tactical Air Force, Eindhoven, Netherlands, February 1945. I have given the sprues aquire wash, and can't wait to get started.

• Like 6

I'm in the final stages of doing one of these. It's a nice kit but there are a few potential pitfalls which will catch out the unwary modeller. The trouble is that it's taken me so long to make it that I can't remember what they are! 

• Like 1

It is a nice kit. The only problem I had involved the fit of the radiator. I'd got some paint on its sides and in the groove it was meant to sit in. The tolerances are so tight that it meant that the fuselage halves would not close properly. It's just a case of giving the sides of the radiator a light sand and making sure paint doesn't get on the mating surfaces. No big deal. Looking forward to the build, one of the Airfix revival's better efforts.

John.

• Like 4

Watch out for the dust air filter.

The instructions are a bit vague about how and where to fit it.

You'll see a pin on it. Look on the inside of the part with the wheel wells/belly section and you'll see a hole flashed over, on the belly part. Open that up for the pin on the dust filter.

All Typhoons were fitted with the dust filter from and after July 1944

Go by the instructions for what hangs under the wings; some Typhoons were only bomb carriers, others were only rocket carriers, they did not swop about being one or the other. Each armament required different training and different delivery.

Edit; 5V-X carried bombs, ZY-Y carried rockets

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

oh curse you Shelliecool !! :P

I was in my LMS today and succumbed to buying one of these

I've already built one as ZY-Y so this one will be 5V-X - with bloomin big bangy bombs!

PS; I should have said, keep to the instructions if you want for the underwings bangy bits, or not, its your build

• Thanks 1

I also have one 90% done and the only thing of note (and it might be me) was a surprisingly large gap at the port wing root. 

Just remembered! Even if doing the wings without the cannon hatches open you need to install the whole assembly before sticking the wings together. Ask me how I know :lol:

Trevor

• Thanks 1

Firstly thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate them, it's great to have a heads up and know what to watch out for. Now back to the build. I have spent time giving some parts a light coat of primer, and begun work on the pilot and cockpit. 

DSC_2625

I have used micro set to help the decal adhere to the rather bumpy instrument panel, and added a little detail to the fuselage insides.

DSC_2627

DSC_2626

I then began work on the cockpit floor, fixing the pedals in place and the control column.

DSC_2628

Finally, I fixed the seat and rear wheel into one of the fuselage halves as per instructions.

• Like 3

Quick update from yesterday's progress. I have built the cockpit, fixing the seat, instrument panel, and pilot in place. I carefully (this bit is trick as the stick has to fit into a tiny gap) fitted the control column, pedals and floor, into the underside of the fuselage. Finally I joined both fuselage halves together with tape to hold it.......this bit was far too easy for my liking!  

11 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

...this bit was far too easy for my liking!  

Perhaps, and I'm saying this based on the photos of your progress so far, you're a better modeller than you give yourself credit for ;) 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2017 at 10:25 AM, Shelliecool said:

Quick update from yesterday's progress. I have built the cockpit, fixing the seat, instrument panel, and pilot in place. I carefully (this bit is trick as the stick has to fit into a tiny gap) fitted the control column, pedals and floor, into the underside of the fuselage. Finally I joined both fuselage halves together with tape to hold it.......this bit was far too easy for my liking!  

Is that the modelling equivalent of, 'It's quiet...too quiet'?

• Like 1

The build has been progressing since my last post, Flickr not working for photos has stopped me posting. However, now I have an alternative I thinks it's time for am update. So I have airbrushed the underside of the aircraft grey and sealed it in with Quick Shine gloss varnish. Then I began masking the top, I've gone with the idea of paper masking......... 

Fingers crossed! 

39236366891_cbfd18613a_b.jpg
Generated from my Sony Xperia Z5 using tools.rackonly.com

• Like 6

Quick update, so I carefully mixed up my Humbrol 106 using a little Humbrol thinner and flow improver and carefully began to spray. I think the masking has held up, but not convinced about the paint mix. Humbrol is always an inconsistent paint pot, but usually I can manage to mix it........ Only time will tell I guess!

All is good in the spray booth this Christmas eve! Having checked no yesterday's paintwork this morning and not being happy with the end result, I went for a second attempt. This time mixing 106 with just flow improver I made a consistency I liked and set to work. The end results smooth and even.........yay!27486170009_36beed6f73_b.jpg
Generated from my Sony Xperia Z5 using tools.rackonly.com

Merry Christmas 🎄 everyone.

• Like 4

Back at it today after a little break over Christmas (although last night I did begin building Tamyia's Rc Big Wig kit), and I was mega excited to test the fabulous presents santa 🎅 had left me.

DSC_2660DSC_2661

Namely a Neo, Iwata airbrush and larger compressor. So I set to work, masking up the grey areas with paper and tape, then mixing the Humbrol 30. Having been caught out with the grey, I only used half the amount of thinner than usual and a few drops of flow improver.  Ready to test, I set the compressor to 30psi and sprayed my trusty Chinnook. The result was good, so I put the Typhoon on my turn table (another special delivery from santa) and began spraying. It went on well and fairly smoothly, the airbrush felt amazing to my cheap old alternative. 

DSC_2659

She is now drying ready for a light varnish tomorrow. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Looking good. I wish I could get the hang of airbrushing. How did you find the Neo? I'm not a prolific builder so I've had my eye on one and the mini compressor for a while.

Thank you. I have only used it once but would recommend it whole heartedly, it was so much smoother to use than my cheap old set. The balance is really good too. I find the art of airbrushing is in the paint mix, get the right mixture and everything flows well.....get it wrong and it's so disheartening. I've been using an old Chinnook kit to practice on, it's been many different colours now. 

Thanks again,

Michelle. 

• Thanks 1