Decisions decisions......

Colonel Wreck

Hi All.

Apologies if this is in the wrong area but as my question relates to Cold War aircraft with a slight overlap to modern I figured this was the correct forum.

This is totally an advice request for the next model to add my stash and both are good for 2018 GB’s.

As luck would have it, I’ve cancelled Christmas, Oliver is bringing in good money from his chimney sweeping round and Little Timmy makes a killing on the streets with his wooden crutch!

this means I can splash out on a new kit!

I am looking at the HobbyBoss 1/48 F-14D. I love the aircraft and after watching the step-by-step on Genesiis Models I am very keen to build this. 

Also I really like the look of the Zoukei-mura 1/48 USAF F4S Phantom II Jet Fighter Kit SWS48-05.

I was wondering if anyone has built either of these kits? Which would you recommend to purchase first and are AM parts a necessity for either.

Many thanks for your advice guys. 

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colonel Wreck said:

I am looking at the HobbyBoss 1/48 F-14D. I love the aircraft and after watching the step-by-step on Genesiis Models I am very keen to build this. 

Ian

If money is rolling in Tamiya have recently released an F-14 kit which is considered state of the art,

http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/kits/tamiya61114reviewbg_1.htm

On top of that Avantgarde are shortly bringing out what looks to be an exquisite F-14 kit soon,

As a big Tomcat fan, I'd probably choose... the Phantom !

The HB F-14D is a nice kit but to my eyes it has some inaccuracies that I don't like. I'm also not a huge fan of Hobbyboss/Trumpeter style of heavy riveting. The ZM Phantom on the other hand seems to be a fantastic kit.

Chally's suggestion of the Tamiya Tomcat is a good one, this kit really is great. It's a bit limited in terms of markings though, as represents an aircraft of a specific set of construction lots with no alternative parts for earlier or later aircrafts. Said that, these construction blocks saw some very colourful schemes

Best go for the F-4S, as they seem to only last for a short time. I have built the F-4J and the F-4C, with an F-4S in the stash, and they are good kits. The only aftermarket I used is seats and decals. The seats are OK, but no straps.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about F-14 kits.

Ted

Thanks for the advice guys and thank you 71chally for the link. That is an impressive build!

I will be picking up the ZM Phantom in the next few days! As mentioned I will also get the Super Tomcat eventually but from what I have seen online there is some hunting to do to get it at the lowest price possible!

Thanks again and happy modeling! :)

With the Tomcat I think that I would wait until the Avantgarde kit is released, then it would be a known quantity and see how it stacks up against the Tamiya one.

The Tamiya can be found a little bit cheaper by looking around (Jadlam Racing for example).