EE Canberra B(I).6, WT307, no. 213 squadron, RAF Brüggen, 1960s

The old Airfix kit from the 70s, got tougher as it went on, but I finally wrestled it into a Canberra as best as my somewhat limited ability allowed. It looks ok from a distance. Impressive that the decals were perfectly useable after so long too. 

Satin dark sea grey spray and Tamiya XF-81 green upper, Revell 'light grey' satin spray below. I tried to sand the nose into a more realistic shape after reading a couple of threads on here too. Not sure how accurate it is now but it looks more or less right, I think (!) I do love this era of RAF aircraft, especially ones with massive serials under the wings and bright squadron markings.

Critique, praise (unlikely!), ridicule or any other reactions all welcome, it's how we improve. Not too harsh though, I'll never make the IPMS. And yes, it's a tailsitter; I put a bit of blu-tack under the nosewheel!

ra9nrb.jpg

24mynw6.jpg

2r5uxw1.jpg

2rzdmiq.jpg

jtul9s.jpg

vi0kco.jpg

24axrvo.jpg

• Like 16

Sorry 😔 I'm not the best with early british fighter jets. Im still learning as i avoided jets for many years all together. I still get the vampire - venom mixed up. I knew of the swift but not 100% familiar. Let me see if im correct, the vampire was developed into the venom ? Then in a distant way the seavixen is a offshoot ? 

• Like 2

That's ok, yes the Venom is a development from the Vampire. The Sea Vixen is a de Havilland twin-boomer too, but quite different to the earlier two, though I assume the company's experience with those designs influenced the Vixen layout.

It was certainly a great era for British aviation!

• Thanks 1

Telboy, I cheated with the nose - it's just held down by a spot of blu-tack under the nosewheel for display purposes! I tried and failed to weight the nose, I used four screws then squeezed in two extra nails, but to no avail. 🙁 

I think to prevent it tailsitting you'll need to use lead weights in there instead. Not sure how much but I reckon someone on here will know. I think the Vulcan needed 40 grams, so I'm guessing more than that. Problem is there's not a great deal of space in the nose. Most of my weight had to go in the nosewheel bay above a handmade bulkhead, so it may be too far back. But with a cramped cockpit and clear nose it's a struggle to find somewhere to hide it. In hindsight, you can probably fill the rear seating area with lead shot, you can't see much through the tiny windows.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Telboy, I cheated with the nose - it's just held down by a spot of blu-tack under the nosewheel for display purposes! I tried and failed to weight the nose, I used four screws then squeezed in two extra nails, but to no avail. 🙁 

I think to prevent it tailsitting you'll need to use lead weights in there instead. Not sure how much but I reckon someone on here will know. I think the Vulcan needed 40 grams, so I'm guessing more than that. Problem is there's not a great deal of space in the nose. Most of my weight had to go in the nosewheel bay above a handmade bulkhead, so it may be too far back. But with a cramped cockpit and clear nose it's a struggle to find somewhere to hide it. In hindsight, you can probably fill the rear seating area with lead shot, you can't see much through the tiny windows.

Well it fooled me! I like to build my models 'wheels up' but this one is a beast, to big or a stand, to big to sit on a shelf. This one might end up hanging off the ceiling. 😕

• Like 1