EXTERMINATE!!!!! 1:8 scale Comet Miniatures Dalek Mk 3

I've been trying to find one of these kits for a reasonable price for quite some time and fianlly I managed to snag one that didn't make the wallet have palpitations. Due the excitement of getting this, I had to put the current Walrus build to one side and start this almost immediately! Its not a difficult kit to build, considering it is a limited run from the 1990s. The biggest problem I had was with the metallic finish!

There are 3 shades of metallic paint:

Dome and Skirt: Mr Color Aluminium airbrushed

Shoulder vertical bars: Mr Color Aluminium brush painted

Horizontal shoulder bands: Mr Color Chrome Silver aorbtished

Neck rings, eye stalk, gun and manipulator arm: Tamiya X-10 Gunmetal airbushed.

The hemispheres on the skirt and the disks on the eyestalk are Tamiya X-14 Sky blue

The main shoulder structure behind the bands is Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey

The main neck structure and  skirt base is XF-1 Matt Black

Sink Plunger XF-69 Nato Black

Eye bulb X-18 Semi Gloss black with a circle of white decal from an old decal set and my punch and die set 

This was built to represent a Mk 3 Dalek which was first introduced in the Bill Hartnell story The Chase and lasted into the Tom Baker era. In particular I've gone for the colour scheme from one of the Daleks in "Death to the Daleks" from the Jon Pertwee era .

DSC_9364.JPG

DSC_9365.JPG

DSC_9366.JPG

DSC_9367.JPG

This is the box it comes in:

DSC_9309_001.JPG

There are two types of kit that were produced, this one and one that represents the Peter Cushing movie Daleks, which had bigger skirts, different lights on the dome and claws instead of sink plungers. The content of the kit is not huge

DSC_9311.JPG

Its odd that these photos don't show the metallic paint finish on the skirt very well, probably because I'm not using the flash in the camera!  This pic from during construction shows the metallic paint much more effectively

DSC_9354.JPG

I've very pleased with the result - apart from the hassles with the metallic paint, it was a fun build and only took about a week - one of my fastest builds!

The main problem I have now is I WANT ANOTHER!!!! Black and Gold next time :D

Here you go with the best Dr Who intro there is - okay I'm biased, JP was MY Doctor when growing up :)

Edit: I forgot to link to the WIP thread:

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Nice build there but I don't wish to nit pick(not really me) but as you mentioned you had given it the death to the daleks look but the look you have given it  is the black and white era from the chase onwards as the death to the daleks would have been painted with black skirt bumps and the mid section would be black behind the slats.

But I will apologise for nit picking.

saw this at club night on Monday - its a brilliant model - finished to a very clean and high standard

I know you are after another one Mr P - but given your skills, perhaps you should try making a Davros in the same scale to keep this ne company

• 2 weeks later...