1/144 Canso, 11090/X, 162 Sqn. RCAF, Reykjavik, Iceland 1944

Hiya Folks,

Smaller than my usual fayr,.... I wanted to see what an all white RCAF Canso would look like before I build a 1/48th scale one,....and I was quite impressed,....although not too keen on my diddy effort,....the glazing framework sent me cross eyed now that I have to wear glasses and this was the reason that I didn`t even attempt scratch building the radar! I also had a strut ping off while carrying it to be photographed,...but having been on the shelf of doom for over a year,....I`m calling it done! It was painted mainly using a white rattle can but with detail work by brush and the decals were from the spares box and generic sets,..... Aviaology will be covering this and other RCAF Catalina/Canso option in some forthcoming sets in 72nd and 48th scales and I already have my pre orders in!

2c83a7c5-54ed-4ab4-90b7-9bddf7d5db9c.png?a=11261554067882c296b03-9448-4aee-99c4-808948564df0.png?a=1126155406788

And here is the model;

DSCF2045DSCF2050DSCF2044DSCF2051DSCF2049DSCF2042

My Grandad was based in Iceland with the RAF during WW2 and so I`d like to dedicate this one to him,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Handsome work there Tony. Are those upperwing roundels the right size? Look pretty small .   How did you come about those Aviaeology details. They are a must for me too!!!

• Like 1

Thanks everybody,...glad you like it;

4 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

That's a little beauty Tony.  and in one of my scales too.  I think you did great on the canopy frames.  I prefer the smaller ones as they fit in the cabinet better. 

What kit was it?

Cheers Bill,.... it is the Academy Minicraft kit,....got it 2nd hand quite cheap so thought I`d have a go at it,.....looking forward to doing the 48th scale Revell kit in a similar scheme!

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

Handsome work there Tony. Are those upperwing roundels the right size? Look pretty small .   How did you come about those Aviaeology details. They are a must for me too!!!

Cheers Paul,.....yes the upper wing roundels are small but correct,... the home based RCAF liked their teeny weeny roundels and 162 Sqn was deployed from Canada to Iceland. Here is a pic showing how small the upper wing roundels were;

Image result for rcaf canso

Regarding Aviaology,.... the details are on their website mate;

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/New-Decals--n-Docs-releases---Eagle-Sqn-Spitfires---RCAF-Overseas-Catalinas---RCAF-Canso-As.html?soid=1105493007759&aid=MULIelKQF34

All the best

Tony 

Edited by tonyot