Will Airfix do a NEW Tool 1/72 Sea Fury????

Corvi

Now that they will be relealsing the 1/48 kit.  I am thinking they may do a scale down in 1/72 for a new tool.  The Trumpeter kit isnt bad but needs some work so Airfix could steal the market away!!

While they are at a NEW TOOL 1/72 Scimitar would be real nice...Since the CMR kit is rather expensive and perhaps a correct Sea Vixen and for a good emasure a new tool Buccaneer!!!!??

Steve

• Like 7

I have no doubt a 1/72 Sea Fury will appear in time.  As a clue, wait to see how long before they issue a 1/72 Meteor F8.

The possibility of them tooling a 1/72 Scimitar was discussed at length in an earlier thread of several pages.  Though I'd love to see one I think it very unlikely for a number of reasons.

Be nice to get it in 1/48th first - talking to my local friendly model shop manager today it's looking unlikely that Santa will be able to bring my 2 down the chimney. :rain:

Airfix have scaled up a couple of kits, but seem to be slow doing the reverse. Like everyone else would like a Sea Vixen or Javelin, but not holding my breath. Perhaps the 1/72nd Venom is taking all their efforts. (I wish) 

• Like 1

Modern and accurate Sea Vixen and Javelin in 1/72 are badly needed indeed. Meteor Mk.8 could be sold well too. SH Meteor requires some effort and is definitely not a mass market.

But a Sea Fury... Can't see why Trumpy's one is not good unless it produces zero revenue for Hornby.

46 minutes ago, Edge said:

Airfix did release a 1/72 Meteor F.8 - I think it may have been an MPM tooling or similar?

Yes it was the MPM/SH one originally produced for Hannants. I built one about 4 years ago. Nicely detailed, but the wings are way too thick and have an odd leading edge shape. 

• Like 1

While I don't have the same in depth knowledge of the Sea Fury that Navy870 has, I share the view that the Trumpeter kit is far from being a good reproduction of this aircraft.

Actually thinking of it, none of the 1/72 offering is that good in terms of accuracy. I don't know if Airfix will ever "scale down" their new kit, I hope they will !

Edited by Giorgio N

I wish, but I'm not convinced it'll happen soon. So I've put my Trumpeter kit in an Airfix box and look at it occasionally. And wish the prop was better, the undercarriage was longer, the wing was thinner...

resized_7dee4679-dae1-4279-ad83-a58bff48

Justin

• Like 2