"Snoopy verses the Red Baron" 3D Picture - FINISHED & FRAMED

Once the back was attached, the kennel was fitted. I slotted the bolts on the kennel, carefully through the picture from the front and held it while my daughter screwed the nuts on. Her little fingers manage the M3 nuts far better than my sausage fingers!!

fokker_dr1_114.jpg

The kennel fitted!

fokker_dr1_115.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

The previous month, in mid July 2017, while at the Breighton Aerodrome Summer Fly/Drive-In, my daughter got to see how big a Triplane really was! While the model is tiny, it's easy to forget just how big the Triplane really is ( for a small aeroplane! )

buckerfest21.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

Yes..and the triplane was significantly smaller than many of the other WW1 pursuit craft...

I think this has been a lovely and moving adventure you have shared, and still are sharing.  I can't wait to see the whole thing done up!

The mounting bolt length was calculated and cut, and it was then painted white and yellow to blend with the background picture. It was glued into the Triplane with cyano and a white nut used to space the model from the backscene.

fokker_dr1_116.jpg

The kennel and the Triplane mounted. We were getting excited now, the end was in sight!

fokker_dr1_117.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 9

The bolt blends in well with the background. The whole thing is very close to the big reveal in the frame, but I think you can all wait another day for that!! 😉

fokker_dr1_118.jpg

fokker_dr1_119.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 8

A few more bullet holes in the kennel of my Snoopy - curse you Red Baron! :wink:

This series has been a great read - looking forward to the finale. Your daughter is very talented and it's nice to see that she is taking an interest. I tried last Easter to get my eldest daughter into modelling. She stuck most of a Spitfire MkI together from an Airfix starter kit, but lost interest and it sits half finished in her room. Maybe I'll show her this as some encouragement.

• Like 1

I don't think Woodstock will be happy with all those holes in the kennel for him to fix.

"Oh good grief".

I wasn't sure how you were going to mount the Red Baron plane, but the angles, method, and backscene work well together. Can we assume this hangs in pride of place in the house? Or is it stuck to the fridge door?

Here we go, the big reveal!!!!

Before screwing the front frame and glass in, we got some pictures so we didn't have to deal with the reflections from the glass. One very happy and proud modeller, and so she should be; it's turned out great!!

fokker_dr1_120.jpg

fokker_dr1_121.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It was a great journey through this project which both dad and daughter enjoyed very much. Since completing Snoopy, she's now done a 1/144 scale Minicraft B-17G seen below.

mini_b17_45.jpg

After the B-17, she has an Airfix D-Day Battlefront diorama which we won in the Airfix Chrstmas competition.

d_day001.jpg

All of these models have been building up her skills for a 1/72 scale Dambuster Lancaster with a family connection. Her great granddad was a bit of an oddity in that during WW2, he served in the RAF, Army and the Royal Navy! He died long before I met my wife, and never found out exactly what he did, but I suspect it was some technical specialty and worked in which ever service needed his skills at the time. His connection with the Dambusters was that he was involved with the altitude spotlights.

lanc002.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
Broken picture link
  • Like 4

Hello !

What a lucky dad you are !!

Congratulations to your daughter, really nice work !

Future Gold winner at Telford for sure !

Nice idea pretty well realised !!:gobsmacked:

Bravo !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Absolutely fantastic!

That is a great idea, brilliantly executed. Congrats to you both on a very special project. I'm looking forward to seeing what the little lady will come up with next.

Ian

• Like 1