"Snoopy verses the Red Baron" 3D Picture - FINISHED & FRAMED

More sanding of Snoopy. We both took turns at sanding. It was a big job, and was her first real experience of scratch building. His head would seen be removed for easier shaping of the head and body, but were cut as one to see the proportions looked right. Tail, arms, scarf and goggles would probably be made from Milliput epoxy putty.

fokker_dr1_057.jpg

fokker_dr1_058.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

In mid April 2017, it was the school Easter holidays. As we had some free time, we did some more of the project. She attached the engine and cowl, then I jigged up the rather fiddly landing gear for her to glue.

fokker_dr1_061.jpg

fokker_dr1_062.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 7

While that was drying, we cut Snoopy's head off to allow shaping of the head and body to be easier. I worked on his body and legs which required some use of the bandsaw, while she started sanding his head and nose round.

fokker_dr1_063.jpg

fokker_dr1_064.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

Some building sessions can be a couple of hours, but on this occasion, we only had an hour spare before we had a trip out. We still managed to push the project on and see progress. The Triplane now only needed the wheels and prop adding, and Snoopy was taking shape nicely, with the basic form of his lower body and legs cut and sanded into a recognisable shape.

fokker_dr1_066.jpg

fokker_dr1_065.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

The wheels still needed their centres painting, but we were in a rush for a photo shoot with two customer models. The Fokker E.III was due to be shipped, so we made do with a mostly finished Triplane to get the Fokker DrI, Fokker DVII and Fokker EIII line up.

fokker_dr1_071.jpg

fokker_dr1_074.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 7

Work continued with Snoopy, with my daughter working on shaping Snoopy's head, following instructions I gave her in advance of each step. I worked on Snoopy's body, shaping his legs, feet and body, using a combination of needle files, sand paper and a mini drill with dental burrs in it.

fokker_dr1_075.jpg

fokker_dr1_076.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

We also made a start on his kennel. I cut some 1/4 ply parts, and left my daughter to sand and clean the parts up.

fokker_dr1_077.jpg

The kennel was glued and clamped and left to dry. It will be clad with thin ply to give the outer finish. I cut the parts with a slight taper to try and give a little false perspective effect. In the end, the frame wasn't deep enough to angle the kennel enough for best effect and I didn't want the frame to end up overly deep.

fokker_dr1_078.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

1/16 ply was used for the cladding. I cut a number of straight and tapered strips with a scalpel, as it took more strength than my daughter could have managed. My daughter sanded the edges into a slight radius to allow the plank edges to show more clearly once assembled.

fokker_dr1_079.jpg

After the front faces of the ply was also sanded, I mixed up a wash of white enamel for her to paint them with.

fokker_dr1_080.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Here's the basic kennel structure and the white washed planks for the walls.

fokker_dr1_081.jpg

The last job of the day was to mix up some Milliput epoxy putty and then form the start of Snoopy's flying helmet and goggles. His helmet was first, and once that is cured and sanded, we would do the same and sculpt his goggles.

fokker_dr1_082.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

It was the end of the first week in July when we got back to Snoopy after the school day ended. The whitewashed planks prepared last time were glued on today, starting with the ends. The end of the kennel was painted in PVA glue, and each plank in turn stuck on. After both ends were done, they were lightly clamped and placed over a heater to force dry the glue quicker.

fokker_dr1_083.jpg

fokker_dr1_084.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

Once sufficiently dry, I sanded the excess length of planks, flush with the side of the kennel. This allowed the side planks to be attached next.

fokker_dr1_085.jpg

While my daughter was doing that, I drilled a small hole in the end of Snoopy's head for a tiny screw. This formed a support for the Milliput nose to be formed around. That was left to cure and will be sanded to the final shape later.

fokker_dr1_086.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

The last job of the day was to cut some planks for the roof, and stain them red with some dilute enamel paint. Using it dilute allowed the birch plywood grain to show through.

fokker_dr1_087.jpg

It was all starting to come together rather nicely now and we could see the finish line wasn't too far away.

fokker_dr1_088.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

It was in the last week of July 2017 when we got back to Snoopy, doing some more work on Snoopy and his kennel. I made some wire frames covered in Milliput for Snoopy's arms and tail. Once cured, the rough shapes were finished and attached. My daughter got the roofing planks glued onto the kennel so they would be dry the next day.

fokker_dr1_089.jpg

The planks were left to cure for a little while and then the roof was wiped over with a damp sponge to remove any excess or finger marks.

fokker_dr1_090.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

While his arms and scalf were curing, I also made his goggles from more Milliput. The rough shape was made by hand and then the final shape and detail worked in with a scalpel and various wooden ends of paint brushed, both sharpened and rounded. Here's Snoopy with his arms, tail and scarf attached.

fokker_dr1_091.jpg

Almost ready to face the Baron!!

fokker_dr1_092.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

By this point, my daughter was quite excited about how good he was looking. This was her first experience of scratch building an object from raw materials and having it look very much like the object being modelled. Up until this point, her scratch building experience was from school projects, such as making castles from cardboard tubes and boxes. Now we had made a recognisable TV character from a block of resin, some bits of wire and some stuff that looked like clay.

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised as to how well Snoopy turned out. Sculpting curved forms has never been my favourite part of modelling. I much prefer measurements, straight lines, rulers and angles!

fokker_dr1_093.jpg

fokker_dr1_094.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 9

Sometimes, doing something that isn't 100% scale, something a little fun and different, can be very rewarding. You don't need to worry too much about getting bogged down in details, but just having lots of fun per pound!

• Like 2