I see stars ... Shooting Stars! T-33As Latin style! No.2

Here is the second in my line of Latin T-birds. I still have two Platz T-33s in the pile! As you can see she is depicted as “3304” of the Fuerza Aerea Dominicana (Dominican Air Force), and was one of four machines acquired in 1956 and operated briefly (until 1958) by that force. The US Mission withdrew them in 1958 and they were supplied to Brasil. The Dominicans went through the same again in 1967 when they acquired two ex-USAF machines and those, too, were withdrawn by the US for similar reasons.

With the FAD during the time of my model they were operated by the Escuadron Ramfis from Trujillo Air Base. At the time the force operated a wide variety of types, such as ex-Swedish Mustangs and Vampires, Thunderbolts, Mosquitoes, Invaders and many others. They were generally painted in bright colours but sadly this didn’t extend to the T-33 fleet.

Like my earlier Uruguayan build, this is the excellent Platz kit. My model is based on the following image:

T33DOM3

What did I do/use?

1. Platz T-33 1/72 Kit built out of the box

2. Painted with Humbrol Enamels – 27001 Metalcote Aluminium overall, 33 Black wing tank halves, 153 Insignia red/189 Insignia blue/34 White for the tail flag, 60 Scarlet for the nose, 226 Interior green, 147 Grey and a few sundry others. Finished with Humbrol Glosscote and Mattcote.

3. Nose guns from half-round Plastruct rod

4. Wing pylons from plastic card

5. Decals were a mix of: 1) wing and fuselage roundels from a Colorado P-47D sheet 2) Ramfis unit badge from a Hobbycraft P-51B kit 3) home printed serials 5) Spanish language stencils from a Microscale Latin T-33 sheet. 5) wing way decals and red lining from the kit.

6. Panel lined and dirtied up a little with Flory dirt and then a few swipes of Tamiya Weathering sticks here and there.  

T33DOM1

T33DOM2

I hope you like her.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 50

Hi Martin!

Very good looking T-33. You have always very interesting markings schemes on you models. Coincidentally, I´m building a T-bird, too. With the help of fellow Britmodeller Luis Alfonso, I´m doing a "Quetzales" T-33A from Guatemala using the old Hasegawa kit and a Microscale decal sheet.

Have a nice weekend

Mario 

• Like 1

Ah, a Guatemalan machine is one of my future builds. I have two decal sheets for this - Microscale and ArmyCast. Good luck with yours and thank you for you kind words. Did you see my "No.3" T-33 build?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Reading your intro again, I see your decals are from all sorts of places, great improvisation skills. :) I had in mind they were off an Aztec sheet, one of which I think does have Bolivian decals, time to dip into my hobby account I think.

Steve. 

Hi Steve,

yes, a few decals for this and my other two T-33s came from other sources and then I printed the rest on my PC. The serials are generally easy, being standard Amarillo font. The badges are a little more fiddly, needing to be drawn or adapted from online images. I'm glad you like them.

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Another great build!   The finish is nice, but it's too bad the FAD got rid of it's T-33's so early because in the 70's they likely would have been painted in the wild green/tan/grey scheme they did on the F-51's...

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

that's just made my mind up to get one.

excellent! Thanks for your comments Roger :). Regarding the Platz (viz your other post) I have to say that it builds very nicely, as I recall. A few things are a bit clunky but can be modified. It is basically "shake and bake", though. 

8 hours ago, Fau68 said:

Another great build!   The finish is nice, but it's too bad the FAD got rid of it's T-33's so early because in the 70's they likely would have been painted in the wild green/tan/grey scheme they did on the F-51's...

Thank you, mate :)

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...