Tiger I Cutaway. -Finished-

To start I want to give Devcon 1 credit for the idea on this and for telling me how he did his Takom KT cutaway. 

I bought the RMF Tiger I Mid Production a while back while in DC from a model shop, and when I saw Devcon's  forum I figured what better model than the Tiger I with interior. 

Heres the progress.. 

38089480085_124dcb0639_b.jpg38089486635_b4eb43b309_b.jpg27198727419_3a6bc1d0bd_b.jpg24111403087_8448c535c0_b.jpg38260040664_1dc987c1f8_b.jpg27198728059_2dd8876a33_b.jpg38976104621_1f4b8f0a68_b.jpg25105034878_51b15d5df1_b.jpg38089478685_c0ab93b752_b.jpg24111392457_b20365e9b6_b.jpg27198730949_67f5881b7a_b.jpg

I still have much to do, including some LED lights, tools, tracks, wheels, etc. Although right now the tracks will be the most tedious and time-consuming on my list of things that need to get done. 

Mark

• Like 9

Thanks, guys. 

2 hours ago, Devcon 1 said:

Excellent start,  I will be following this avidly as this kit is on my "want" list.

I would recommend a different kit if there was one. the reason being there were 4-5 instances where the part numbers weren't matching those listed in the instructions, or the instructions just wouldn't list the part number at all! Granted RMF included the Early and Late version of the Tiger I in the box, but they could've done a far better job with the instructions, and with the model itself. You're more-or-less left to guess of where some of the parts go onto the tank since there are no guides for where the part is supposed to be placed. But on the upside of things the model is a relatively quick build compared to Takoms KT, and for the most part really detailed, with tons of options to choose from. 

Thanks for all the comments guys. I plan on applying zimmerit onto the tank, but I've hit a roadblock because I don't want to buy the zimmerit stickers, but at the same time I don't know how to make my own zimmerit. I curious as to how the ones who have made their own zimmerit coating, how did you do it? 

Also, I can't decide on whether I would like to whether the model and interior with chipping, pigments, etc. or if I should leave the model as if it were factory new. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Quick update on the kit, I have everything done including the ever so annoying tracks, but I am at a roadblock due to my airbrush/air compressor not working properly. So I have to take both of  them apart and find out what it the problem and if it's fixable. More pictures are soon to come. 

Mark

1 hour ago, Mark Hoffmanly said:

Quick update on the kit, I have everything done including the ever so annoying tracks, but I am at a roadblock due to my airbrush/air compressor not working properly. So I have to take both of  them apart and find out what it the problem and if it's fixable. More pictures are soon to come. 

Mark

Hope you manage to get your airbrush sorted okay........or you could always just use those hairy stick things! :wicked:

Kind regards,

Stix

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hope you manage to get your airbrush sorted okay........or you could always just use those hairy stick things! :wicked:

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm pretty sure it's my air compressor, because its putting out low PSI pressure, or something could possibly be stuck in the hose. 

• 4 weeks later...

Heres some more progress I have made on the Tiger I. I was busy working during my break so I haven't gotten a whole lot a work done on it as I would've liked to. I also added a string of small LED lights throughout the entire interior of the model.

27829785859_d77b273a5e_b.jpg25736349678_ca06f5cf1c_b.jpg25736357288_efc5e61eff_b.jpg39607043541_9c5cff8033_b.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Mark

Looks like you have some metal-eating termites in Ohio, hungry little fellers too.  Seriously, it looks pretty good so far and the LEDs really bring it to life.

Yes I built this Rye Field kit too and wasn't that impressed compared to their Abrams variants.

Doesn't ATAK sell a resin zimmerit set for the 1/35 Tiger I? They have a ton of different sets but of course they are in Europe so the delivery time/cost

isn't that great.

Take care,

Lloyd

29 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Hi Mark

Looks like you have some metal-eating termites in Ohio, hungry little fellers too.  Seriously, it looks pretty good so far and the LEDs really bring it to life.

Yes I built this Rye Field kit too and wasn't that impressed compared to their Abrams variants.

Doesn't ATAK sell a resin zimmerit set for the 1/35 Tiger I? They have a ton of different sets but of course they are in Europe so the delivery time/cost

isn't that great.

Take care,

Lloyd

I missed a spot with the LEDs so i'm going to have to rewire it and place a new light in the dark spot. and I'm sure they do sell zimmerit for the Tiger, but that's one more thing I have to buy, but I am currently buying more materials for my 1/16 KT right now so I'll just paint this Tiger w/o any zimmerit on, unfortunately.  And this kit was disappointing for how much I paid for it, I was more impressed with Takom's KT than this. I felt like they could've added more detail and done a better job with the instructions. But that is just me.

Mark

I agree so it's not just you as I was disappointed with this kit also.  The tracks are the best feature even though they are a serious pain in the butt.

I didn't apply zimmerit either as it was a mid production Tiger that lasted past late 1944 so no zimmerit.  That's my story and sticking to it.

It turned out not bad, not great but acceptable.  I would never try the LEDs, well maybe in 1/16 but not 1/35 so you certainly have more patience than I.

Take care,

Lloyd

45 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

I agree so it's not just you as I was disappointed with this kit also.  The tracks are the best feature even though they are a serious pain in the butt.

I didn't apply zimmerit either as it was a mid production Tiger that lasted past late 1944 so no zimmerit.  That's my story and sticking to it.

It turned out not bad, not great but acceptable.  I would never try the LEDs, well maybe in 1/16 but not 1/35 so you certainly have more patience than I.

Take care,

Lloyd

The tracks were amazing, I just wish RFM decided to mold the teeth to the individual tracks instead of making them as separate parts that also needed to be glued on. 

And for the led lights I bought a strand of 20 small LED lights that were meant for a wine bottle as a decoration piece. Amazon sells them very cheaply like 3 for 10$(USD) or something like that. After the interior was painted and weathered to my liking I taped the lights to where I wanted them then I used hot glue to put them in their final position. With the hot glue it allowed for some room to make errors since I was able to carefully lift up on the light strand and peel the hot glue off of the roof, w/o any paint being removed. 

And hopefully RFM's Panther will be much better than this Tiger, because from the images they have released it seems to be the most detailed out of the others (Takom, Trumpeter, etc.).

• Mark Hoffmanly changed the title to Tiger I Cutaway. -Finished-
22 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

That looks pretty decent Mark.  Might be a little wet in the rain though.

I think I may try some of those LEDS on that 1/16 Panzer IV, lots of room to play.

Take care,

Lloyd

The LEDs are really nice and easy to work with. I would highly recommend using them. You can get them off of amazon or ebay for cheap.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I’ve had this idea for some time - but here’s the difference. My kit would be a sealed up one so when the lights were dimmed it would be like looking into a real tank at night time! Very cosy and realistic.  

One thing:

I beleive the interior lights for the Germans was blue!

Ill guess that it was red for Russians and Green for the US.  I’m almost certain with the Germans and US but the Russians is a guess.  Bottom line is you can’t use white or yellow light because of night vision.

Well done for showing some brass balls in using the leds!

On 17/01/2018 at 15:32, Mark Hoffmanly said:

The LEDs are really nice and easy to work with. I would highly recommend using them. You can get them off of amazon or ebay for cheap.

That is a brilliant idea! I’ll give is a go! 👍