Canadian Norseman FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Another project which I have had on the cards for years is a Royal Canadian Air Force Noresman using the Matchbox/Revell 1/72nd scale kit which another one of the goodies from the Matchbox range. Having sent my lovely missus up into the left to grab said kit,..... she could only find the Revell boxing,..... so I hope that is OK? 

Here is the box;

DSCF2034

Here is the original Matchbox box art,.... I have one of these hiding in the loft somewhere!;

Image result for rcaf norseman 3537

And here is the subject of this artwork;

Anyway,....onto the model,........The sprues and decals after a small bit of pre painting;

DSCF2035

Construction started with putting the wings and floats together and fitting the cockpit;

DSCF2037

A close up of the finished cockpit inside the fuselage,.....just waiting for the windows to be fixed into place, As the cear parts are quite thick, hardly any of the interior can se seen,....so no point fitting any extra detail;

DSCF2038

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

I have a number of options for the finish,......which is going to be a WW2 RCAF Noresman,......the all yellow kit decal option is nice and I`m planning on a floatplane,.... but I also like the OD/NG ones too such as these,..some with high viz upper fuselage and wings;

Image result for rcaf norseman

This silver and yellow scheme is interesting too;

Image result for norseman float plane

There is also the earlier Dark Green and Dark Earth camo, as seen in the upside down pic,.... the reflection is the uppermost view;

Then there are other yellow aircraft,.....starting with the kit decal option,...which has a darker blue for the markings provided;

Image result for 3537 norseman

and others;

Related image

There are some nice landplanes too;

And ski planes;

The above could have a red high vi colour applied above the fuselage?

And another silver and yellow aircraft,...it has C Type fuselage roundels, A Type upper right wing and what appears to be B Type upper left wing! The underside of the rear fuselage may even be white? This aircraft also appeared on floats, as seen further up.

pg-104-norseman-371_lr.jpg

There are even some interesting RAAF aircraft,.....but maybe for another time;

GR-2A71-4a#

Image result for norseman float plane

And of course the Israeli Norseman,.....in which Canadian ace Screwball Beaurling was killed while ferrying it from Europe to Israel,.... crashing in suspisious circumstances after take off in Italy; 

Related image

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

Another fine choice Tony,and a great scheme planned I think you'll find a good few Revell re-pop's already built( a few by me for a start) so I don't see

the host's taking issue.

• Like 1

Great choice Tony, 

I too have one of these kits and plan to build it as a RCAF ski bird one of these days. It’ll be a somewhat bizarre way of paying tribute to our family Canadian ski holiday we had this time last year. It’s a pity you don’t see too many Norseman photos of the aircraft sitting on their rear end as this would be more akin to how I spent the majority of my holiday!! 

Thanks for the usual array of reference photographs which accompany each of your builds, I always look forward to the mini history lesson usually attached. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Nice pick Tony.  I always liked the bulky look of the Norseman.  I built a Chorozsy Modelbud kit of it a few years ago.  I'm pretty sure that it was a resin copy of the Matchbox kit but the floats were not quite right, being a little too round in cross section.  All yellow is nice and bright but any of those would be great. (the Canadian ones of course not Aussie!).

Cheers

d6c6e742-bee4-4db9-b49e-114d6d0908ca.jpg

• Like 6

On 11/12/2017 at 2:47 AM, Bill Bunting said:

Nice pick Tony.  I always liked the bulky look of the Norseman.  I built a Chorozsy Modelbud kit of it a few years ago.  I'm pretty sure that it was a resin copy of the Matchbox kit but the floats were not quite right, being a little too round in cross section.  All yellow is nice and bright but any of those would be great. (the Canadian ones of course not Aussie!).

Cheers

d6c6e742-bee4-4db9-b49e-114d6d0908ca.jpg

Wow Bill,.....that looks superb,.... and hopefully mine will look as nice. The yellow does look striking doesn`t it,.....think you`ve made my mind up,....now the roundels,.....A or C Type,...... more scanning of the references!!

Hope you are keeping well,.....and warm!

Cheers mate,

Tony 

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

At the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton.

AAM 057

AAM 178

AAM 179

AAM 093

AAM 092

AAM 128

Chris

Lovely Pic`s Chris,

I have to admit that I have not seen a real Norseman!

Cheers

Tony 

Right a bit of an update,....... and if anybody was up early enough I was on BBC Breakfast Time telling a bloody awful joke!

Here is the basic airframe of the model together;

DSCF2040DSCF2041

I`ll be adding the windscreen etc later but after criticism of my my SAAF Marauder I`d better get it to fit right,......thank goodness that there are no guns to fit too!! 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

I'm all in a dither now!! Not seen any of those wartime photos ever before. Tony, you have given me such vast inspiration for my next build. I have two kits stuffed somewhere so they will now have to come out. Naturally I will go for a Canadian one.. maybe the camo and yellow scheme..... or the silver and yellow....:think::smile:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Just re reading this post and caught that bit about the BBC. I saw all that. Which one was you??

I was the one in the wheelchair mate, with my missus and son,....they gave me an awful joke about Kim Jong Un to read out! Think it was the second joke,.....It was bloody freezing!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I was the one in the wheelchair mate, with my missus and son,....they gave me an awful joke about Kim Jong Un to read out! Think it was the second joke,.....It was bloody freezing!

Cheers

Tony

You'll be on Live at The Apollo next week.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

Corrrr..........I now know someone famous off the telly!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

Aah Yes. I recall seeing you most certainly!!!  Your 5 minutes of fame then!!!  

I am off to search for my two kits at weekend in daylight ...'cos I can't see in the dark even with torch in my dark and gloomy 'stores shed!!'  Hope to make a start soonest.

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

I got the model sanded yesterday and sprayed it using a rattle can of Humbrol Trainer Yellow today;

DSCF2076

I`ve also painted the floats and their struts silver,..... with a coat of humbrol gloss varnish now brushed onto the model ready for the decals,

Cheers

Tony

Edit,....euurgh,....the photo has just highlighted the blob of white glue squeezed out of the windscreen joint,.....that needs sorting!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

On 12/12/2017 at 1:17 AM, tonyot said:

Wow Bill,.....that looks superb,.... and hopefully mine will look as nice. The yellow does look striking doesn`t it,.....think you`ve made my mind up,....now the roundels,.....A or C Type,...... more scanning of the references!!

Hope you are keeping well,.....and warm!

Cheers mate,

Tony 

Thanks Tony it was a (Russian) bear of a kit.  FYI mine was Humbrol 69 yellow which I had. The tin lid looked darker than it turned out.  I'm sure yours will be better colour and quality than mine.  I like that yellow much better.

Keeping warm - it's finally gotten cold (-10C) and snowy - 50cm this week.  The ski hill is finally open!

Edited by Bill Bunting
  • Like 1

Hi Bill, Nice to see you back here. It seems we both have a thing for the Norseman  and 1/144 Cansos!!  I have not long ago completed a 1/144 Canso as fire Bomber in peas and carrots scheme. Must get in touch again some when.

Tony. What do you think are the camo colours of the Norseman with C type roundels and yellow tops?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

Tony. What do you think are the camo colours of the Norseman with C type roundels and yellow tops?

Hiya Paul,

I would go for US style Olive Drab and Neutral Grey mate. Must have been obtained from a batch intended for the USAAF,...... in one pic you can see the upper right wing star and bar has been over painted. 

I`d love to see your colourful Canso by the way

Cheers

Tony

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Paul,

I would go for US style Olive Drab and Neutral Grey mate. Must have been obtained from a batch intended for the USAAF,...... in one pic you can see the upper right wing star and bar has been over painted. 

I`d love to see your colourful Canso by the way

Cheers

Tony

Cheers for that. Pop across to the flying boats and floatplanes GB... "Peas and Carrots Canso"  Also in same GB Gallery for finished article.

Incidentally, I think the use of ortho film on some of those pics makes light colours appear dark or reverse to what they really are, note some of the roundels that have the red darker than the blue. So what appear to be red on top sides would be yellow. Thats what I think any way. I have never seen any pics of wartime Canadian based aircraft with red hi viz topsides... however...they are all inspiring photos.

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve put the decals on,....the blue in the kit roundels was too light so I replaced them using spares box decals and although they are darker, even they appear quite light in the pictures! The fin stripes are in British wartime colours but I shall be mixing a blue to paint over the blue stripe;

38403248734_93b5970eca_k.jpgDSCF2142 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

38403249124_0fd2169ef5_k.jpgDSCF2140 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8