Messr. Bf109G-2, 25 YEARS IN THE MAKING!

DaveyGair

Here's a quick, and a bit sad, story. I bought this not long after it first came out, the box says 1991, so must be around 25 years ago. I got as far as assembling the airframe and began to paint with my new fangled simple Humbrol airbrush which just didn't work out as I had hoped, made a complete mess of it and put it away, along with the 109-E I bought around the same time. Feeling a bit dejected with my modelling efforts as an 'adult' I got rid of the unmade kits I had and concentrated on wargaming stuff which doesn't require such attention to detail. The 109's ended up being given to an acquaintance of mine, who had taken up modelling, for him to finish if he fancied it.

I got back into model making with a vengeance early last year, but previous to that, said acquaintance had passed away suddenly and I found myself in the possession of these and a couple of other kits from his estate.

So, here we go. A couple of months ago I stripped the (Humbrol enamel) paint off and cleaned up and primed the airframe, touched in as much as I could of the cockpit and painted the underside RLM 65 (Vallejo ModelAir). Also primed the prop black. So this is where we kick off with this GB, with replacement decals by Techmod to do a Finnish machine, White 3 MT-213, 2/HLeLv 24 and Fabric seat belts by Eduard. Hopefully should be straight forward to finish.

DSC_0008DSC_0012DSC_0009

I originally intended to mount the belly tank so had glued on the mount, but could not find a photo of a Finnish aircraft with one fitted so removed it and cleaned up the fuselage as best I could.

DSC_0010

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Been getting my M3/M4 GB build under way, but have now got under way with painting this. Airbrushed with Vallejo ModelAir paint, I haven't got specific paint for the Finnish airforce so just used what I thought was near. RLM 65 underneath, with USAF Olive Drab (probably a bit too Brown, looks it in the photo) with NATO Black on top. I didn't get quite into the leading edge starboard wing root with the paint but easily touched up. May redo the green if I get enough gasp's of horror :D (actually I probably won't, just want to get the thing finished!)

DSC_0011DSC_0012DSC_0016

• Like 6

On 10/12/2017 at 3:19 PM, DaveyGair said:

I had and concentrated on wargaming stuff which doesn't require such attention to detail

I beg to differ. I went to Warhammer world last week for some varnish and was blown away by the detailed paintwork on display. While having a look in the wargame area a young lad was painting a figure to a standard I could barely believe. He is 9. I'm thinking about knitting.....

That's a really nice save and the 25 year gap makes me feel better about my effort's 11 years :) it certainly looks OK from here.

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I beg to differ. I went to Warhammer world last week for some varnish and was blown away by the detailed paintwork on display. While having a look in the wargame area a young lad was painting a figure to a standard I could barely believe. He is 9. I'm thinking about knitting.....

That's a really nice save and the 25 year gap makes me feel better about my effort's 11 years :) it certainly looks OK from here.

Well, I should have said it didn't matter to me!:D But you're right, I've seen some cracking paint jobs for Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, have you seen 'Armypainter's stuff, not sure they still paint armies but have a business selling paints and stuff, their 15mm stuff was unbelievable!!

Davey.

• Haha 1

I'm just catching up with this one Davey.  Accepting the sad element of your background story, it's really nice that this 109 has come full circle :popcorn:

Cliff

Thanks for the kind comments people. A little bit of progress with this, had a bout of that stomach bug thing that's going round which has waylaid me the last few days. Masked and painted the large yellow areas which turned out OK. A couple of coats of, new to me, Alclad II Aqua Gloss sprayed directly from airbrush. Worked OK, seemed a bit 'pebbly' so will try a retarder next time. This is the first time I have used Techmod decals. Now, it may have been my cack-handedness at times, but while they are commendably thin, they broke up very easily. I had problems with the port number 3, which shows, as does a couple of the roundels on the wings. They didn't seem to react at all with setting solution, and you have to be careful to remove any trace of the adhesive from the decal you get on the gloss coat as it shows up through the top coat. Fortunately the matt coat covered this somewhat.

Added one stencil (you get a lot!), but because of said problems I gave up with the rest! (they are all german so may have been painted over anyway?)

As I said it may have just been my usual rush to get things done which caused all this, but would interested to hear if anyone else has come across this.

Still have to paint and add undercart, aerial, balance horns etc, paint the wheel wells the correct colour, plus a bit of weathering.

Prop is just placed on and needs a white segment painted on the hub and yellow blade tips.

DSC_0023DSC_0024DSC_0026DSC_0027

• Like 6

On 13 January 2018 at 4:39 PM, vppelt68 said:

You know, there's not a single Finnish G-2 in the Warpaint- scheme among my Finnish 109:s. Definitely must add "not yet" to that. Yours looks just wonderful! V-P

Cheers my friend, the original decals had suffered badly over the years, so when looking for another set I came across these and found the black and green scheme attractive. I know this particular aircraft has been modelled many times, so this is just my take on it.  Hope you like the end result, nearly done now.

Davey.

It is an attractive scheme, and you've done a very nice job with it! I have been tempted to do this very aeroplane using the Techmod decals. However, considering the problems you've had with the decals, I may need to look for another source. Still I'd love to do one of these green and black Finnish G-2s.

Regards,

Jason

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

It is an attractive scheme, and you've done a very nice job with it! I have been tempted to do this very aeroplane using the Techmod decals. However, considering the problems you've had with the decals, I may need to look for another source. Still I'd love to do one of these green and black Finnish G-2s.

Regards,

Jason

Jason, you need to look no further than this (1:48) or this (1:72) for the decals. S.B.S model do a set with MT-208 as one of the options. Actually, parts of the plane still remain in the Finnish Aviation Museum... The plane was ditched in sea post-war, and salvaged much later. Now try to model that ! Best regards, V-P

Kesälomaa 2013 041Kesälomaa 2013 043

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the tip on the decals! I shall have to buy some. Now all I need is a Bf 109G-2 to slap them onto! I do think I'll do mine whole, and not as the museum exhibit, though.

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks again for the kind comments people, much appreciated. Just got to spray prop tips and do a little weathering, add and paint aerials and were done.

DSC_0029

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Davey 

Can I just ask what you used to strip the old paint from the model. I have a similar project in mind for an old 109 of mine.

Thanks

James

Hi James, I use Dettol disinfectant, the strong stuff with Chloroxylenol 4.8% w/v, used neat in a plastic sealable food container   https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255280109?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+|+Shopping+GSC+|+All+Products*PRODUCT+GROUP255280109*&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrAGf96ridnKWV_Zikl7jzZnSdlHIlaizRJlE1-h2Nm8qDaCwb3l6bwaAhkuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds. , you'll need more than one bottle depending on the size and depth of the container. Just place the model in completely covered and leave it a few days, check occaisionally. the paint just peels off. Wash under a tap with a toothbrush or something. Obviously just be careful how you handle it,  there is a warning to not to use it undiluted,  this stuff is strong and stinks!

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 1

...... and we're done.

Really pleased I rescued this, building the Eduard 1/48th G-6 inspired me to add this one to the collection.

Just some light weathering added, airbrushed the exhaust stains, and using MIG Ammo and Vallejo washes wiped away with a cotton bud.

All in all pleased with the way it turned out, many thanks for all the kind comments.  

Got plenty others for the next KUTA GB as well!

DSC_0038

I noticed after I did these I had knocked off the starboard aileron balance horn, which I duly found and is now back in its proper place!

DSC_0037DSC_0039DSC_0032DSC_0030

• Like 4